Hypoglycaemia

TypeZero.

Was wondering what everyone uses to treat hypoglycaemia. I’m experimenting with different hypo snacks such as raisins and other dried fruit. Do you guys have any other recommendations? Something small in size but high in carbs is what I’m looking for. I don’t want to necessarily just eat sugar cubes, kind of seeking something nutritious as well.

In addition to this I was wondering if there is anything bad about hypoglycaemia apart from the risk of death? Does it physically harm your body? The symptoms are not nice but they disappear once corrected, I was just wondering if there are any long term effects of frequent hypoglycaemia (apart from reduced hypo awareness)

Reactions: Todd1974

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use Haribo sweets, they're packed full of sugar, easy to eat and they can be in the bottom of your pocket and survive perfectly fine despite being prodded by things like keys etc.
For hypos you don't need nutritious, you need glucose.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was wondering what everyone uses to treat hypoglycaemia. I’m experimenting with different hypo snacks such as raisins and other dried fruit. Do you guys have any other recommendations? Something small in size but high in carbs is what I’m looking for. I don’t want to necessarily just eat sugar cubes, kind of seeking something nutritious as well.

In addition to this I was wondering if there is anything bad about hypoglycaemia apart from the risk of death? Does it physically harm your body? The symptoms are not nice but they disappear once corrected, I was just wondering if there are any long term effects of frequent hypoglycaemia (apart from reduced hypo awareness)

I would have thought the risk of death and potential loss of hypo-awareness would be enough. A number of people report that after a good going hypo they feel like they have a hangover and right off their game for a day or so.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haribos for me. Not bothered about nutrition when I get that sinking feeling!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do play around with things like fruit and bread with hypo's between 3.7 and 4, but only if my Libre shows a very slow and steady decline.
Anything lower, or when seeing a steep drop, it's straight to the sweets or sugary drinks.
Hypo unawareness is not something to be put between brackets as a side thought, hypo unawareness can turn your life into a very short story, even on CGM. The 10 or 15 minute lag on CGM can mean no alarm on a quick drop before passing out behind the wheel...

Last edited:

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Hypoglycaemia - the brain is quite exquisitely sensitive to serum glucose level, so prolonged low can be very damaging. I don't know the critical level of blood sugar, nor do I personally. I would probably scare the **** off me!

Please, @TypeZero. Don't experiment. We do like you being on here ……

Edit… GlucoTabs Rule!! 4g CHO per tablet - usually 3-4 tabs deals with my idiosyncrasies.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Dextrose tablets. Small, low cost and do the job as they are glucose. To me they are the ideal solution.

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Coke. Glucotabs. Jelly sweets. Juice.

Dates seem to di the job for me too

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Dextro glucose tablets for 3.5 and below (DAFNE classified hypo). Above that, I would eat blueberries, or part of a small apple, or cherry tomatoes.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Jelly babies for me. 3 JBs = 15g carb......eat wait for 15 mins, test and repeat if necessary
I dont think there is anything nutritional with fast acting sugars/carbs

Reactions: EllieM

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always have Dextrotabs at hand as once my blood's dropped I want it back at a safe level pdq, if say I'm on a slow slope downwards then a rich tea biscuit or a Kit Kat on a faster slope which takes me on to the next meal time, swimming/cycling I carbload and often use a 10ml tube of 'hypostop' or dextrogel as I can get those free on prescription.

To me a post prandial hypo (after eating/injecting) would get more glucose than an afternoons basal one.

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
50 years a T1 and my hypo awareness is not what it once was, and definitely gets worse if I have too many hypos. I've only had a couple of really bad hypos in those 50 years but they can be accompanied by fitting (as in like an epileptic fit) so I definitely don't want to go there again.

For me, the hypos are possibly the worst part of T1. Have too many and you will start to lose awareness and find yourself going lower. I strongly advise you to work hard to minimise them.