1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hypoglycaemia

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by TypeZero., Jul 27, 2020.

1. TypeZero.

TypeZero. · Well-Known Member

Was wondering what everyone uses to treat hypoglycaemia. I’m experimenting with different hypo snacks such as raisins and other dried fruit. Do you guys have any other recommendations? Something small in size but high in carbs is what I’m looking for. I don’t want to necessarily just eat sugar cubes, kind of seeking something nutritious as well.

In addition to this I was wondering if there is anything bad about hypoglycaemia apart from the risk of death? Does it physically harm your body? The symptoms are not nice but they disappear once corrected, I was just wondering if there are any long term effects of frequent hypoglycaemia (apart from reduced hypo awareness)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use Haribo sweets, they're packed full of sugar, easy to eat and they can be in the bottom of your pocket and survive perfectly fine despite being prodded by things like keys etc.
    For hypos you don't need nutritious, you need glucose.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

I would have thought the risk of death and potential loss of hypo-awareness would be enough. A number of people report that after a good going hypo they feel like they have a hangover and right off their game for a day or so.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Circuspony

Circuspony Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Haribos for me. Not bothered about nutrition when I get that sinking feeling!

5. In Response

In Response · Well-Known Member

I use GlucoTabs.
    They are not sweets so are not taken by others.
    They are easily measured. I know how many carbs there are in each tablet and how much each tablet will raise my blood sugars. They come in plastic tubes which make them easy to transport.
    Unlike dried fruit, they contain no fibre so the sugar acts fast to raise my blood sugars

I agree nutrition is irrelevant. Raising my blood sugars is most important.

Repeated hypos reduce hypo awareness.
    I have read repeated hypos can kill blood brain cells.
    Hypos should be avoided where possible. Unfortunately it is impossible tp avoid all hypos when using insulin.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I do play around with things like fruit and bread with hypo's between 3.7 and 4, but only if my Libre shows a very slow and steady decline.
    Anything lower, or when seeing a steep drop, it's straight to the sweets or sugary drinks.
    Hypo unawareness is not something to be put between brackets as a side thought, hypo unawareness can turn your life into a very short story, even on CGM. The 10 or 15 minute lag on CGM can mean no alarm on a quick drop before passing out behind the wheel...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #6 Antje77, Jul 27, 2020 at 8:58 PM
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  7. Struma

Struma Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hypoglycaemia - the brain is quite exquisitely sensitive to serum glucose level, so prolonged low can be very damaging. I don't know the critical level of blood sugar, nor do I personally. I would probably scare the arse off me!

Please, @TypeZero. Don't experiment. We do like you being on here ……

Edit… GlucoTabs Rule!! 4g CHO per tablet - usually 3-4 tabs deals with my idiosyncrasies.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. Dextrose tablets. Small, low cost and do the job as they are glucose. To me they are the ideal solution.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Mad76

Mad76 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Coke. Glucotabs. Jelly sweets. Juice.

Dates seem to di the job for me too

10. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Dextro glucose tablets for 3.5 and below (DAFNE classified hypo). Above that, I would eat blueberries, or part of a small apple, or cherry tomatoes.

11. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Jelly babies for me. 3 JBs = 15g carb......eat wait for 15 mins, test and repeat if necessary
    I dont think there is anything nutritional with fast acting sugars/carbs

• Like Like x 1
  12. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I always have Dextrotabs at hand as once my blood's dropped I want it back at a safe level pdq, if say I'm on a slow slope downwards then a rich tea biscuit or a Kit Kat on a faster slope which takes me on to the next meal time, swimming/cycling I carbload and often use a 10ml tube of 'hypostop' or dextrogel as I can get those free on prescription.

To me a post prandial hypo (after eating/injecting) would get more glucose than an afternoons basal one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

50 years a T1 and my hypo awareness is not what it once was, and definitely gets worse if I have too many hypos. I've only had a couple of really bad hypos in those 50 years but they can be accompanied by fitting (as in like an epileptic fit) so I definitely don't want to go there again.

For me, the hypos are possibly the worst part of T1. Have too many and you will start to lose awareness and find yourself going lower. I strongly advise you to work hard to minimise them.

• Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook