I’m at goal now what?

Dollylolly

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The docs thinking drugs cure all
I’ve achieved my goal weight of 135lbs, 61kgs it was the number I gave myself when dieting it was always 135lbs why I’ve no clues but that was the number. I have achieved it many times in the past but I put it back on again or worse dieting when younger when I really didn’t need to.

I’m now looking to do what exactly that’s my quandary as in what now.

Ive got good control over the blood sugars I’ve lost the weight I needed. Now what I’m lost and feel well, bewildered.

I had my gallbladder surgery which was done 2 weeks ago now so it’s gentle exercise for now

I sound like I’m moaning I’m not I’m happy about the above but feel I’m now at sea.

we set goals and meet them but what’s next. Do we always have to have a goal in mind or can we not have one. Do we worry about not having something to achieve.

questions on a postcard.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve achieved my goal weight of 135lbs, 61kgs it was the number I gave myself when dieting it was always 135lbs why I’ve no clues but that was the number. I have achieved it many times in the past but I put it back on again or worse dieting when younger when I really didn’t need to.

Ive got good control over the blood sugars I’ve lost the weight I needed. Now what I’m lost and feel well, bewildered.

I had my gallbladder surgery which was done 2 weeks ago now so it’s gentle exercise for now

I sound like I’m moaning I’m not I’m happy about the above but feel I’m now at sea.

we set goals and meet them but what’s next. Do we always have to have a goal in mind or can we not have one. Do we worry about not having something to achieve.

questions on a postcard.

A long time ago, my mom had a series of heart attacks. She survived, but was given a rather grim life expectancy. Because of that we married in a hurry, rather than saving up for the castle we had eyed, because I wanted mum to be there more than I wanted that castle. She was. A decade later, she was with us still. And years beyond that... Still here! I'm not complaining at all, but... For her, it was different. She made it to her given "deadline", and after that, things went south. She just didn't know what to do with herself, and poof, now mum's on antidepressants. Her goal was gone and she was left with no clue what to do next.

The question then becomes not, do *people* need a goal, but... Do *you*? I set the standards low because I always felt my life was going nowhere anyway, so it doesn't seem like a problem to me. Mom needed one however, and was lost without something to set her sights on. Is the same true for you, and if so... It may be time to find a new goal to aim for! (If maintaining the status quo isn't cutting it for you, goal-wise.)

You're asking the right questions. Now to find your particular answers!

Reactions: Dollylolly

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Awesome, massive congratulations! Next… you gloat at every opportunity.

Reactions: lucylocket61

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake

questions on a postcard.

Well I guess the goal could be to maintain?

I've been struggling with a similar decision as far as hba1c goes.. reached my goal so do I push further.

61kg is quite light so unless you are short would you want to go further?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!

questions on a postcard.
Dollylolly, you've had some great answers here and ones to make you think. It's kind of like being pregnant, in that you are excited to get to the special day that you're aiming for ... holding that baby in this case .. but when you get there you feel a little flat (or at least I did) because suddenly all the longing, all the monitoring of your pregnancy, all that attention of everyone involved in your care etc suddenly ceases. You have your 'goal' but feel deprived of the getting there. I think there is a time of adjustment with your new status, the new triumphant you? Maybe you now have to set your sights on another goal? Maybe fitness levels or something? Well done and be very very proud. It is truly deserved x

Dollylolly

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Well I guess the goal could be to maintain?

I've been struggling with a similar decision as far as hba1c goes.. reached my goal so do I push further.

61kg is quite light so unless you are short would you want to go further?

I’m 5ft 3in so short and BMI is 23.5 I think so I could in theory lose another stone or more but scrawny isn’t what I want as I’m in my 50s turkey neck is so not attractive lol!!!

Dollylolly

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thanks all

I feel I need a goal strange as that is, but this time it’s for me as I’ve achieved good control which I’ll have to maintain for life along with the weight as they go hand in hand

once I’ve completely healed I might up the exercise to weights, just to firm up the soft bits so I have another goal of sorts.

Thanks once again folks

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For me personally the hardest goal has been maintaining the good work which is sometimes more challenging than others and again for myself, this diabetes management has/is a marathon not a sprint and some years I have done better than others weight wise (I am not overweight but just with my own personal goal). Well done on achieving your goals and good luck on maintaining them. :)

Reactions: Dollylolly

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Congratulations! Maintaining diet and fitness is a good goal! For me, I think maintaining a good fitness level for when I’m really old is a big one.

otherwise , just enjoy the new you ; )