I’m scared, please help me

Glitter 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooh I feel your pain! I was diagnosed type 2 back in April. Im not massively overweight (73kg) but have still been told to lose weight. I have changed my diet as much as I can bear. It has made a difference to my blood glucose levels and they are mostly normal now. I agree that you cannot manage diabetes with out a blood glucose meter or you are just working blind and plus it frightens you into not eating what you can see puts your blood glucose up lol! You will get into the swing of it, just find tbe way that works for you, by testing 2 hours after meals. Good luck

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A free meter! What’s the catch? Lol are the strips universal? ie does the link for the strips fit the tee2?
You need to think about the cost of the strips here’s some info. I paid for an SD Code Free as the strips are cheaper if you use the discount codes for bulk purchases.

Here are some meters that are popular on the forum:

Taken from a post by @Bluetit1802 as she wrote it so nicely:

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here and the meter is free.

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

Edited to add strips are specific to each meter.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

snowmonkey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
chasey, you should be optimistic. because with some will power and changes, you may well be able to manage your blood sugar. personally. i would take the meds of offered ( probably metformin) cos it suppresses appetite. and for many t2s, we need to stop eating too much...esp carbs.

good luck. and welcome.

Danny61

Hi. I’ve recently been diagnosed type 2 and although my nurse was very sympathetic I do feel like I’m kinda in this alone. She’s given me 3 months to change my diet and try to lose weight/lower my blood sugar before she thinks about putting me on meds. I’ve done a lot of reading up about how to lose weight but I’m just confusing myself about carbs and fat and protein and saturated fats. It doesn’t help that I’ve a food phobia about vegetables (don’t ask, I must have been badly traumatised lol) I don’t feel like I’m any the wiser and I’m scared. How can you lower blood sugar and lose weight? “ eat brown rice/pasta instead of white” yeah but it’s still carbs and carbs bump up your sugar levels. I don’t want this, I’ve never been sick, I’m the rock,the one people turn to and now I’m facing a life long illness. Can anybody please help me make dietary changes. Explain how much carbs I should have. What to eat when I can’t physically eat veg/salad. Help me feel less scared about my future. Maybe I’m asking a lot but I need to know I’ll be ok (oh I also have anxiety issues too lol)

Wow. This could be me. I wanted to write this but couldn't find the words. Are you sure you aren't me? I shall be watching this with interest. Thank you. I feel so depressed about this, but my wife reckons I just need a kick up the **** and deal with things :(

Reactions: Grannypat

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow. This could be me. I wanted to write this but couldn't find the words. Are you sure you aren't me? I shall be watching this with interest. Thank you. I feel so depressed about this, but my wife reckons I just need a kick up the **** and deal with things :(

You haven't yet completed your profile details, so a little more information would be helpful, such as your HbA1c at diagnosis, your Type of diabetes, and any meds you have been given.

I am a Type 2 and was diagnosed over 4 years ago. Of course I was scared, we all are when first diagnosed, but the fear went very quickly and it soon became obvious that is was the kick up the bum I needed to get my health in order and lose some weight - so in a way your wife could be right. ;) The kick up the bum worked. I lost all my excess weight and normalised my blood sugars, and have maintained this now for nearly 4 years.

Read all round the forum, see how others manage matters, and ask as many questions as you like.

Reactions: Juicyj

kazd63

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll leave those more knowledgeable to advise on meters, although I absolutely agree with them as it’ll show what you/can’t eat (and there are some surprises in there as we’re all different!).

But on the veg thing? I got down to HBA1C 48 from 76, almost the same as you, with low carb and not necessarily increasing veggies that much. I have a lot of cheese. And nuts. And eggs. And meat. And 10-cal jelly with double cream and 85% cocoa content chocolate grated on it.

There’s a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum so ask lots of questions - someone usually has an answer!

Hi what is the brand of jelly you use, I have made a mousse with Hartley's sugar free jelly and mascarpone. Just wondering if there is a better jelly out there. Thanks

Brendon.Dean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Chaseylayne76
Get myfitnesspal, it's an app you can download on your phone. Use this to figure out how many calories you should have a day in order to loose weight. If you for example need to eat 2,000 calories a day to loose 1lb a week that's how you determine how many carbohydrates, fats and proteins to have.

1 gram of protein = 4 calories
1 gram of carbohydrates = 4 calories
1 gram of fat = 9 calories

Once you figure out your ratios, figure out what foods you are going to eat. If you refuse to eat vegetables, you'd best be supplementing vitamins and add minerals into your diet as well; it only benefits your health.

Staple carbohydrate foods as a diabetic would be lentils, sweet potatoes, blueberries and brown rice. Imho get rid of the pasta, it's not a clean carb and you will fight with your sugars eating that stuff.

You will also need a scale to weigh your food for accuracy.

What you are asking is absolutely achievable, it just takes some discipline and learning a few things. You 100% need to incorporate HIIT exercises into your daily routine as well which is just as important as your diet change. Your diet and exercise are extremely powerful together, but alone wont have a huge impact.

Feel free to ask me anything you'd like.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Chaseylayne76 welcome to the forum. You will be fine with all the help, advice and support you will get from the members on here. Don't forget we have all been where you are so we understand your emotions. Any questions just ask away. Good luck. :)

P

pollensa

Hi. I’ve recently been diagnosed type 2 and although my nurse was very sympathetic I do feel like I’m kinda in this alone. She’s given me 3 months to change my diet and try to lose weight/lower my blood sugar before she thinks about putting me on meds. I’ve done a lot of reading up about how to lose weight but I’m just confusing myself about carbs and fat and protein and saturated fats. It doesn’t help that I’ve a food phobia about vegetables (don’t ask, I must have been badly traumatised lol) I don’t feel like I’m any the wiser and I’m scared. How can you lower blood sugar and lose weight? “ eat brown rice/pasta instead of white” yeah but it’s still carbs and carbs bump up your sugar levels. I don’t want this, I’ve never been sick, I’m the rock,the one people turn to and now I’m facing a life long illness. Can anybody please help me make dietary changes. Explain how much carbs I should have. What to eat when I can’t physically eat veg/salad. Help me feel less scared about my future. Maybe I’m asking a lot but I need to know I’ll be ok (oh I also have anxiety issues too lol)

Hello, oh dear, reading your contact, re the negative unfortunately you cant eat vegie or salads yes, that is a hurdle, but always a solution for everything is my motto of the day, ways to get around this.

May I ask if you had a veggie green beans, or caulifour or cabbage or zuchinnie for example, and were dressed with a nice creamy cheesy sauce, black pepper and lemon juice, would you be able to eat some veggies then? or, salads for example, would you be able to eat in a bowl with some crispy chicken breasts in small pieces, or tuna, or some feta cheese, with some walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds with dressing olive oil /vinegar little mustard, or if you prefer a DOB OF Helmans Mayonaise? would you be able to eat salad this way?

Just couple of suggestion boxes.

You are quite right, to eat brown rice instead of white is one step in the right direction, but ultimately as you say its Carbs! such a pity for this such a pity you cannot eat veggies, as I grate cauliflour and pan fry it, few seconds, and it makes wonderful alternative for rice for example, and this kind of changing of foods, would help YOU so much regards controlling and getting down your numbers with Diabetes 2.

Look, some guidance, whether of interest or not, why dont you look at www.dietdoctor.com, yes, many of the recipes have veggies, dont worry, take a peep, there are many without veggies, I feel sure there is something you can choose to eat to help give yourself a little weekly plan to get you on the way to control, choosing the foods that suit and you are able to eat, its such a great website, lots of valuable info overall, and the keto low carb way of eating is great certainly has turned my numbers around to non diabetes range, lost 24 kilos and 23cm off the waist in between, in less than one year..... so off you go, if of any help take a peep at dietdoctor.com

Try your veggies if you can with creamy tasty sauces that may help the phobia??

Have a nice day, hope within assists or guides you in the right direction someway.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Ok. Still on the verge of tears here but you guys have been very sensible with your advice. To answer a few questions you have all asked
My reading to determine diabetes was 75 and I’m 124kg
I do have PCOS so have kinda known there was a possibility but still very shocked
I eat mostly white meat,white fish,raw carrots,marrow fat peas,eggs but have to be mixed up ie scrambled or omelette. No salad items. No cooked veg although have been known in the past to mix fine beans in with a mouthful of food but never on its own. Tried salmon but didn’t like it. Hate tuna,sardines etc. Do like my rice/pasta/ bread etc so this is gonna be bloody difficult.
Haven’t got a blood meter as 1, I hate needles and 2, it was never spoken about
I rarely drink alcohol and hate full sugar drinks
Love fruit but I know there’s sugar in them so I can’t eat many per day
On the whole I think my diet isn’t that bad but obviously my body says different lol
@Chaseylayne76 , big hug. I love low carb and am getting a bit obsessive about what I eat. I love carrots but have got rid of them because of the higher carb but love the greens and cauli is my most go to veg. I use konjac instead of noodles and they're brilliant. Likewise, all oily fish is yuk, I like them, they don't like me but I do eat loads of white fish now. Bread is something I crave and really just treat myself to one slice of Sainsburys HiLo bread very very occasionally (5g carb). I bought a spiraliser and love courgetti and mooli. Onwards and downwards, you can do it.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No doubt you have even all the useful posts already but I just thought I would add to that. I’ve had type 2 since I was 37 and now nearly 30 years later I am still fine no neuropathy or eye problems etc. I didn’t discover about the low carbs till about 18 months ago so don’t panic. Take it slowly and you will find there is light at the end of the tunnel and it is not a “freight train coming your way”!