I’ve been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in December, and had the same fears. I'm intending to get my blood glucose down and keep it down as the best chance of avoiding harm. I can't give you advice, just encouragement, but there are a lot of people with far more experience and knowledge of diabetes than me on this forum.

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
pretty sure if Dx you get expert help checking for eye damage..i do
eating better and reducing your glucose is the way to go.

However if reduced TOO quickly i believe that CAN have an impact, so slower is better.

it's all a worry at first until you get your head around what T2 is and how best YOU can treat it
and get yourself back to better health..

however sadly, the worrying and stressing over it can raise our BG levels, so relaxed and chilled,
with the knowledge from here, is the way to go, imho....though not always easy, i know.

As @KennyA says and i paraphrase.."offence IS the best defence"

if you have a glucose meter, that is the best way to tell if your going the right route
as in eating foods that agree with YOU...bear in mind, what you read

that because one person can can eat 'this' food,
doesn't always mean I can..and vise versa

THAT route i think is the best way to protect ourselves from any complications.

guaranteed..No..but what is in life.

but it's the best we can do for Ourselves, at this moment in time..

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to this site,

I had the same fear when I was diagnosed. This fear is one of my strongest motivations to keep my blood sugars under control. I brought my levels into th n normal range quite quickly and my first review HbA1c was within the normal range.

I was able (and still able) to do it with the help of people on this site and by doing low carb.

The first bit of advice I will give is that you need a meter and you need test regularly at the start. But the good news is that like me many others have their blood sugar levels under control- it is the best way to avoid/reduce complications from diabtes.

Good luck and welcome- read around this site- it is awesome - there are some truely amazing people here who are very generous and share their time and expertise. Ask questions and know that there is some hope.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m worried I will go blind. If I get my sugar levels under control will my sight be ok
How is it now? Have you any issues? With the diagnosis you should also get an eye-check, and they'll go from there. But yeah, if you get your blood glucose under control, you'll not have to worry overmuch about your eyesight. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html could help you get started on getting things under control. Do keep in mind that when your blood sugars go down, your vision will change too. Your brain's been compensating for a while for the glucose in your eyes and tears, so it has to get used to not correcting your vision all the time. Takes about 2 weeks. (Getting some cheap reading specs should tie you over until the dust settles).