I cannot change my eating habits.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
So what is your diet @Sarah69 ? Mike :)

I don't follow a diet I just eat what I like. I only really eat a hot meal on a Sunday and that's a roast. When I'm working I try to eat my lunch late as I don't get in til 8pm if I'm hungry then, I'll just have some biscuits or more cereal.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't follow a diet I just eat what I like. I only really eat a hot meal on a Sunday and that's a roast. When I'm working I try to eat my lunch late as I don't get in til 8pm if I'm hungry then, I'll just have some biscuits or more cereal.

Hi Sarah, Do you know what your numbers are like, HbA1c ? and generally through the day before after meals etc.
Neil

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I wish I understood the logic behind that, but alas, I do not.

Reactions: 18 people

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi Sarah, Do you know what your numbers are like, HbA1c ? and generally through the day before after meals etc.
Neil

Yes of course I do and I know they're not good but I just don't know what to do about it. I've tried the low carb approach and I'm don't like much of the food that you can freely eat!

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
You've been here for nearly 5 years. What have you not learnt in that time where we can perhaps help?

Reactions: 10 people

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some great information already in this thread but as harsh as it seems id hate to see you having to further deal with a serious diabetic complication, your relationship with food has to change if you want to prevent this. I'm sure the enormity of this change must seem very difficult for you, or you simply wouldn't be posting this thread, the important thing is you know you need change and from what you've said you want change, It's a start.

Good luck and all the best.
Daks

Reactions: 8 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes of course I do and I know they're not good but I just don't know what to do about it. I've tried the low carb approach and I'm don't like much of the food that you can freely eat!

Hi Sarah, although I was not that clear, I had expected you to reply with your numbers, thats' your HbAc1 and your daily numbers, we know very little whether your are testing or not. and what you levels are like.

You have been asked what is your diet, but that's not clear either. Not sure what you hope to gain from this when you tell me you do not like much of the food you can eat on low carb. There is a fantastic array of food out there that you can eat.

Can I ask what your BMI is like.

Neil

Reactions: 7 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but as Dr Phil says, "Choose the behaviour, choose the consequences".

As an ex-smoker if I was diagnosed tomorrow with lung cancer or emphysema, I'd be the biggest hypocrite in the world if I sat around saying "Why me? It's not fair". I mean, why not me after what I did to my lungs?

Everything in life is a choice and some people choose convenience and feeling good in the here and now - fair enough if you also accept the long term consequences. Burying your head in the sand and expecting a good outcome is about as realistic as believing in magic bullet cures for diabetes, IMHO.

Reactions: 13 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I have never been in that position so don't really know how I'd handle that.
Empty larder?
Shop each day for each days needs and no bread biscuits etc in the house?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This article explains the importance of non-negotiable rules if you want to create change. I think the basic idea holds true for any kind of life change:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-importance-of-non-negotiable-no-matter-what-rules/

I find life so much easier if there are decisions that are made, 'no correspondence will be entered into' type of thing. If you allow yourself an out, it means you need to keep making the decision over and over - and when you trip, you tend to get into the self-blame, beat yourself up cycle. Guilt isn't a very good motivator.

Reactions: 10 people

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi @Sarah69

Your numbers may not be good and you may not be willing to share them - that's your choice - but there are lots of things you can do about it :)

Your previous posts about eating what you want including biscuits & cereals are either bravado or irresponsible stupidity IMHO and would suggest that you are still very addicted to sugar in its various forms.

You NEED to break this cycle Sarah - the more carbs you eat the more you'll want. If your weight is already higher than it should be your body will just convert carbs to body fat which your body will then store as it is unable to use - making your weight go up again. Its a vicious cycle. Your body's increased insulin resistance is only being made more resistant by continuing to eat carbs, which you body just sees as sugar.

Medications will help but they are finite and can only help so far ..... once their limit is reached, your body will go into ultra-survival mode (like it does when someone has hypothermia) and to protect the core will start 'shutting down' parts of the body it sees as surplus to core survival ......... hence that's when some of the more serious "quality of life" complications raise their ugly head.

Your feet and your hands are the furthest away from your core and thus are the hardest for your core to maintain. We are all aware of what this means for diabetic complications without stating it further !!!!

You need to stop your body from using carbs for energy and start it using fats - a Low Carb High Fat diet (or as some people call it , Low Carb Healthy Fat) is the best way to make this change.

Sarah the list of available LCHF foods is quite extensive - there must be some in there that you do like or can learn to like & acquire a taste for

Its all very well saying that "you don't much like the foods you can freely eat" and to stick your head in the sand and keep taking the meds which will no doubt increase over time -- but with T2 and the complications it can lead to if uncontrolled then it's tantamount to saying that you DO LIKE the possibility of things like sight loss and limb amputation !!!!!!!

I'm absolutely certain that that's not an equation you agree with, but thats's certainly the direction in which you're heading if you don't take control of it and start making changes.

I loved sugar. I could eat it by the spoon. The thought of having a cup of tea or coffee without it made me feel sick. But a few minutes reading about diabetic complications led me to not just cut sugars but also cut the pretend ones (sweeteners) . My palette has changed now such that any sugar in tea of coffee & I just can't drink the stuff without gagging.

My tastes have changed because I wanted & needed them to -- you have to do the same thing Sarah

It can be done Sarah :) Its a big life-changing change but its life-changing in the right direction.

And it's only you that can make the choice

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 16 people

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi Sarah, although I was not that clear, I had expected you to reply with your numbers, thats' your HbAc1 and your daily numbers, we know very little whether your are testing or not. and what you levels are like.

You have been asked what is your diet, but that's not clear either. Not sure what you hope to gain from this when you tell me you do not like much of the food you can eat on low carb. There is a fantastic array of food out there that you can eat.

Can I ask what your BMI is like.

Neil

Ok I'm 5ft 7" and weigh 15.3 st, my last hba1c was 9.2, my readings during the day vary I can be anything from 4/5 in the morning and just go up as the day goes on. I work as a carer so fairly active and as I work in the village I live in I cycle to my clients houses. When I work a full day my breakfast is at about 6.15am lunch will be about 2pm and I don't really eat tea as I'm working til 8pm. I'm on a waiting list to see a psychologist at my hospital.
Breakfast is cereal at the moment rice crispies for lunch today I had a chicken korma for lunch and that will be it until 2moro. Yesterday I had the same for breakfast and jacket potato with cheese and small salad once I picked out the things I didn't like in it. There might be lots of food out there but I'm very limited on what I like. I would like to eat lchf but it's far to limiting for me. I've read what people have eaten on this diet and I know I couldn't eat it.

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Sarah69

Assuming that the '69' in your name refers to your year of birth your BMI according to the NHS is 33.3 making you very clinically obese

This takes into account moderate aerobic exercise like walking & cycling

Your ideal weight should be 8st 6lb to 11 st lb, but I'm sure you know that already

Which parts of the LCHF that you've read about do you feel unable to eat ?

Did the chicken korma include rice, or was it just the meat & sauce ?

Did you make the chicken korma yourself of was it something shop bought & nuked in the microwave for 4 mins ?

The more information you give us the more we can help you :)

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Sarah69 I too struggle with not really liking much of what I can eat on the LCHF diet but realise that the alternative is very grim. I have an omelette for breakfast with onion, garlic, mushroom and cheese or bacon. At first I hated it and really really wanted my cereal and fruit but I have now got used to it and although I still miss my cereal I have accepted that I CAN NOT have it.

I used to occasionally have toast and ginger marmalade (lots of marmalade) for breakfast especially when I was going to a horse show with a friend who had it with me before we set off as he had a lift. I now have my omelette before he arrives and do him the toast and marmalade. I have a tiny corner of one of his slices of toast with my coffee and that suffices as I am not hungry after my boring omelette. That is the way I manage my craving. We visit a stud in Devon once a year and have lunch there. I have always brought a big cheesecake and cream for afters and they do lunch, it has always been fish/meat with salad, quiche and crusty bread. I have the meat/fish and salad and occasionally a small piece of quiche but leave the crust. After lunch I have a small corner of my friend Duncan's cheesecake, literally one teaspoon full. They told me not to bring one as I can't eat it but why should no one else have what they like because I can't. It is nice to be able to give them it in return for their friendship and hospitality. I have known them for about 25 years and feel it would be mean to stop taking the cheesecake.

It is a pain and it does require will power but I have found if I eat plenty of what I can have one small spoon of the treat satisfies me (well almost). I am fortunate in that I love coffee (particularly as a cake with walnuts!!!) and have always drunk it strong, almost black and no sugar; only difference is now I have it black

You can do it if you really set your mind to it. My weakness is fruit and I do eat more than I should but will be starting the ND next week so that too will have to go for the next few weeks.

Are you interested in starting the ND diet with me to give each other support? Whatever you decide please do think of the horrific long term consequences of burying your head in the sand regarding your blood glucose levels.

Reactions: 7 people

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi @Sarah69

Assuming that the '69' in your name refers to your year of birth your BMI according to the NHS is 33.3 making you very clinically obese

This takes into account moderate aerobic exercise like walking & cycling

Your ideal weight should be 8st 6lb to 11 st lb, but I'm sure you know that already

Which parts of the LCHF that you've read about do you feel unable to eat ?

Did the chicken korma include rice, or was it just the meat & sauce ?

Did you make the chicken korma yourself of was it something shop bought & nuked in the microwave for 4 mins ?

The more information you give us the more we can help you :)

I've never been that weight in my life! My weight is stuck at 15.3 I was 17st went onto Byetta and lost weight but that's it, it hasn't gone up or down in ages, I'm surprised as I'm working more now so increased exercise! There's is NO way I could eat for breakfast bacon and eggs, meats and all the other things in the lchf diet breakfast. I don't like many vegetable, I don't eat much fruit but I do like grapes and strawberries.

The curry was shop bought and I had to cook the rice myself.

Reactions: Geoffno6

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I've never been that weight in my life! My weight is stuck at 15.3 I was 17st went onto Byetta and lost weight but that's it, it hasn't gone up or down in ages, I'm surprised as I'm working more now so increased exercise! There's is NO way I could eat for breakfast bacon and eggs, meats and all the other things in the lchf diet breakfast. I don't like many vegetable, I don't eat much fruit but I do like grapes and strawberries.

The curry was shop bought and I had to cook the rice myself.

Grapes will run up your BS numbers ...... if they did not, I'd be amazed as they do for many MANY people ..... just full of sugars

Sit down with me and I'll give you some more time to digest (no pun intended) this stuff @Sarah69 :)

At some point, you need to jump off the ship, grab a rowboat and steer your own course. You WERE that weight, you are not now. That is a fact and no level of denial (even if that came into your equation, but let's not go there) will alter the reality of where you are now. It has just run away a bit. You need to cut it back to regain control, and putting to one side it hasn't changed "in ages" does not alter where you are today.

You should review that diet and by your own admission, your numbers are not that flash. Cereals and biscuits were my flavour of the month as well. Reckon I eat them anymore? No. Not because I don't want to ..... simply because I can't. As one very VERY wise lady pointed out to me (and others) on this thread quite some time back, do you wish the complications that come with this condition with uncontrolled diet down the road, or do you wanna take this head on, live a good life and value your inner strengths for beating what many others have?

You have choices. I choose life. Read the forum if you do not believe me and see the incredible stories of courage and spirit from those in similar positions who've cut back their weight, changed their diet and as a result, decided to change their life. Emulate them.

Mike

Reactions: 15 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
This may sound a bit harsh but I think it might be sensible to start practising to manage without hands and feet because I can't do this and no way can I do that means you're not really bothered enough to deal with the fact you have a disease.
Just carry on as normal because that's the easiest seems to be your choice so .... best of luck.
You're going to need it.
Most of us have realised that luck just isn't much use though and have to actually put some effort in.

Reactions: 9 people

Croc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
Sarah, I'm one of the fussiest eaters in the world. Theres far more food that I don't like than I do...I dont eat any fish or seafood for starters but theres still ways to cut the carbs, even if not drastically youll see results. If you must have a sandwich for instance make sure when you buy bread you check all the labels and buy the one with the lowest carbohydrates. Have one sandwich instead of two with a glass of water to fill you up.

Baby steps may be the way to go, once you start seeing results then it helps to make it easier.