I did it!

Altaf_7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What is ur age ??? And u have type 2 right ? Do u take any meds ??? If not how did u manage to control it without taking meds???

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is ur age ??? And u have type 2 right ? Do u take any meds ??? If not how did u manage to control it without taking meds???

Hello @Altaf_7

I am in my early 50s. Yes, I am type 2 and do not (and have never) take medication for diabetes. I managed this by following a low carb high fat diet - I consume 20g or less of carbs per day. After a few months I also added in some intermittent fasting and have also significantly increased my exercise, but I believe the diet and fasting have had the greatest impact on blood sugar levels and weight loss.

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
In celebration mode today as just over a year since diagnosis I have hit the weight loss goal I set myself.

On diagnosis I weighed 101.1kg for a BMI of 38.4.

Today I am at 63.5 kg - BMI 24.1 so 37% of body weight lost for a BMI of 24.1

More importantly my HbA1c is down to 34 (September) from 108.

All down to advice on this forum, eating very low carb with intermittent fasting and a lot of walking!

A great Christmas present to myself and very motivating to not stray too far over the festive period.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That is utterly marvellous - well done you - you put me to shame !

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Way to go! Congratulations! I was diagnosed last March with T2 and started the low carb eating plan shortly after. I, too, have lowered my A1c to the good range. No metformin. Just exercise and low carb/high fat eating. I have lost a bit more weight than I wanted, but hey, maybe this is what I was actually supposed to weigh. I must admit that I don't really like cooking for myself. I'd rather bake. I'm glad I have these great recipes to help me stick to this. I have a very large sweet tooth. Now, I have to get motivated to start cooking some of the lunch/dinner recipes so I will have more variety. I will freeze some so I don't have to cook too often. Happy New Year, and I wish everyone good health for 2018.

mojack7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
birds!butterand all spreads...yuk
In celebration mode today as just over a year since diagnosis I have hit the weight loss goal I set myself.

All down to advice on this forum, eating very low carb with intermittent fasting and a lot of walking!

A great Christmas present to myself and very motivating to not stray too far over the festive period.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Amazing progress Goonergal. I am fascinated by what a 20 gms carb diet looks like in practice and how it would fuel 14K steps. Whenever I go below 30 gms seems to cause me real problems sleeping beyond 3.00- 4.00 am. Any tips as your progress is clearly worth learning from.

trimanfour

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Diet only

WELL DONE!!! GREAT WORK!! Keep it up!! You are an inspiration to others!!!

julie131260

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Phones, eggs, metformin

Oh, it is so fantastic to read something like this! Very well done you! I was diagnosed recently with HbA1C of 112! After 8 weeks on Metformin it has started to make me so ill and miserable, I wished I never started taking it. I have stopped now. GP wants me to start on Glicazide, but I don't want this, as I already suffer from anxiety, and Glicazide is said to make you put on weight as well as increase anxiety.You are an inspiration, Goonergal! I do wish I could follow your example, just diet alone ... tell me more ...!

Reactions: ianpspurs

GraceB

Type of diabetes
Type 2

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Absolutely tremendous result @Goonergal ! Your doctor must have been stunned :)

Massive congratulations to you!!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Amazing progress Goonergal. I am fascinated by what a 20 gms carb diet looks like in practice and how it would fuel 14K steps. Whenever I go below 30 gms seems to cause me real problems sleeping beyond 3.00- 4.00 am. Any tips as your progress is clearly worth learning from.

Thanks @ianpspurs

The exercise is definitely fuelled by fat = typically my macros are around 75-80% fat, 5% carbs and the rest protein. I don’t eat breakfast (or at least extremely rarely) and at least 2-3 times a week I eat only one meal a day (dinner).

The past few days have looked like this (carb counts include the cream I have in my morning tea).

Today - dinner only. Salami and smoked cheese followed by chocolate chia pudding, low carb chocolate cake (I baked this at the weekend and am still eating it) and cream. 12g carbs

Yesterday- lunch (unplanned, was trying to do just dinner but was hungry. Grabbed a bag of pork crackling, 30g mixed nuts and a small amount of 85% chocolate. Dinner was sausages (1.5 carbs for 2), bacon, a burger and chia pudding with cream. 21g carbs.

Tuesday - lunch was a bunless cheese and bacon burger in Byron Burger with side salad/mayonnaise and courgettes. Dinner was a Lidl protein roll (my first ever) with butter followed by the chocolate cake and cream. 16g carbs.

Monday - dinner only. Diet Doctor salmon zoodles (smoked salmon/cream sauce on courgetti), chia pudding with cream and the chocolate cake. 13g carbs.

A lot more dessert in there than usual due to my baking experiments. I post daily in the what have you eaten today thread in the low carb diet forum if you want more ideas - I pick up a lot of tips from others there. Feel free to PM me also.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, it is so fantastic to read something like this! Very well done you! I was diagnosed recently with HbA1C of 112! After 8 weeks on Metformin it has started to make me so ill and miserable, I wished I never started taking it. I have stopped now. GP wants me to start on Glicazide, but I don't want this, as I already suffer from anxiety, and Glicazide is said to make you put on weight as well as increase anxiety.You are an inspiration, Goonergal! I do wish I could follow your example, just diet alone ... tell me more ...!

Hi @julie131260 thanks. Feel free to PM me, happy to chat.

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
Very very very well done xxxx

Reactions: Goonergal

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @ianpspurs

The exercise is definitely fuelled by fat = typically my macros are around 75-80% fat, 5% carbs and the rest protein. I don’t eat breakfast (or at least extremely rarely) and at least 2-3 times a week I eat only one meal a day (dinner).
Thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail - very helpful.
I follow very similar regime of 1 meal and hit same macros but find it hard to go below 30 gms carb average over a 3 month period. Do you or any other members have similar problems with sleeping - 4.00 am again today(5 hrs) thank heavens for The Ashes to watch!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail - very helpful.
I follow very similar regime of 1 meal and hit same macros but find it hard to go below 30 gms carb average over a 3 month period. Do you or any other members have similar problems with sleeping - 4.00 am again today(5 hrs) thank heavens for The Ashes to watch!

I’m not a great sleeper - also up at 4am today! Bed around 11 (which is late for me) and woke up in the night. However I do have plenty of energy during the day....

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not a great sleeper - also up at 4am today! Bed around 11 (which is late for me) and woke up in the night. However I do have plenty of energy during the day....
I had read similar on Keto forums and people tried magnesium and all sorts to solve the problem. Studying my average sleep hrs from Fitbit does seem to show less sleep since clocks changed. Maybe Dr Chattergee's theory about sunlight has legs - definitely less time outside in the garden and even 2 hr dog walks see me wrapped up like nanook of the north rather than gym vest and shorts in good weather! Did sleep much better in Cyprus in November having spent 8 hrs in the sun. Is it a vitamn D problem?

Reactions: shelley262