I did it!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had read similar on Keto forums and people tried magnesium and all sorts to solve the problem. Studying my average sleep hrs from Fitbit does seem to show less sleep since clocks changed. Maybe Dr Chattergee's theory about sunlight has legs - definitely less time outside in the garden and even 2 hr dog walks see me wrapped up like nanook of the north rather than gym vest and shorts in good weather! Did sleep much better in Cyprus in November having spent 8 hrs in the sun. Is it a vitamn D problem?

Interesting. It could be. I have just started taking vitamin D so will see if it has any effect. I already take magnesium.

Helen_Ralph

In celebration mode today as just over a year since diagnosis I have hit the weight loss goal I set myself.

On diagnosis I weighed 101.1kg for a BMI of 38.4.

Today I am at 63.5 kg - BMI 24.1 so 37% of body weight lost for a BMI of 24.1

More importantly my HbA1c is down to 34 (September) from 108.

All down to advice on this forum, eating very low carb with intermittent fasting and a lot of walking!

A great Christmas present to myself and very motivating to not stray too far over the festive period.
Wow that is awesome what a wonderful achievement.
Helen

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting. It could be. I have just started taking vitamin D so will see if it has any effect. I already take magnesium.
That is very interesting. Dark mornings are not good - even my chickens are an hour later getting out and about and laying is less regular. I was trying to up exercise first before resorting to supplements. Better weather may allow more time outside. I would be very interested in the efficacy of the supplements on your sleep patterns. On a side note, these cyber chats are a new high in NLD friensdship!

Reactions: Goonergal

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In celebration mode today as just over a year since diagnosis I have hit the weight loss goal I set myself.

All down to advice on this forum, eating very low carb with intermittent fasting and a lot of walking!

A great Christmas present to myself and very motivating to not stray too far over the festive period.
Just brilliant! Congratulations and well done - such wonderful progress and really encouraging! I have stalled a bit but, reading your post, I am now re-motivated to get my a*** in gear and get walking. Do tell us how you get on with improving your sleep - that is one of my real problems.

A_Sun

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hi Goonergal. Congratulations to you. Please share your food diary for a week or 2 + your daily steps + your fasting regime. I really need some help with the fasting. Thank you in advance. I wish I can follow in your success.

P

pollensa

Contragulations, well done. I follow the same, no meds, walk min 4 to 8klm per day, intermittent fast 3 days a week, low carb keto eating, and lost 21 kilos 11 months now 64kg. Blood sugars consistent normal, fasting, 2 hr, random checking only every 4 months and reversed A1C no meds x 23% in 12 weeks.

We all cannot be wrong who opt to take charge OUR own bodies, change lifestyle, low carb, exercise, works we are living proof, so lifestyle change v. metformin or other, in my case and seems yours lifestyle change wins without doubt.
]
Mallorca. Happy for you.!

Reactions: ianpspurs

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had read similar on Keto forums and people tried magnesium and all sorts to solve the problem. Studying my average sleep hrs from Fitbit does seem to show less sleep since clocks changed. Maybe Dr Chattergee's theory about sunlight has legs - definitely less time outside in the garden and even 2 hr dog walks see me wrapped up like nanook of the north rather than gym vest and shorts in good weather! Did sleep much better in Cyprus in November having spent 8 hrs in the sun. Is it a vitamn D problem?
Hi just a practical tip I started taking magnesium mainly for really severe leg cramps which were disturbing my sleep when intermittent fasting and Keto but they didn’t work too well then discovered that some people don’t absorb oral magnesium in the gut very well and that much better to get the cheaper Epsom salts and add to the bath or a foot bath where they are absorbed into the skin. You can get huge bags cheaply and also add essential oils like lavender if you want a nicer smell. The good news is they work for me no more leg cramps and I get a really good nights sleep

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="shelley262, post: 1662259, member: 455169" some people don’t absorb oral magnesium in the gut very well .... better to get the cheaper Epsom salts and add to the bath or a foot bath where they are absorbed into the skin. /QUOTE]
Hi shelley262

That sounds like really useful advice born of experience so much thanks for that. I will give that a try.

Reactions: shelley262

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
@Goonergal - very late to the parade, but massive wowsers for your incredible achievement! :cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Goonergal. Congratulations to you. Please share your food diary for a week or 2 + your daily steps + your fasting regime. I really need some help with the fasting. Thank you in advance. I wish I can follow in your success.

I will PM you.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Goonergal hi. Could I pls ask if you could also PM me with your success details as well pls , same as A_Sun requested. Really appreciate it. Thanks & again congratulations

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Keep at it Pammypants we'll all be supporting you and your amazing results will be the next good news here!

linsue

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Would love to know how you do with the food. My daughter is Type 1 and has gained a lot of weight. She is doing low carb but eats protein and fat freely. Many times protein makes her blood sugar go really high then more insulin. I am trying to find a good plan for her that would be a routine for her to stick to. She used to weigh 49 kg and is now 64 kg. She doesn't feel good about herself.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would love to know how you do with the food. My daughter is Type 1 and has gained a lot of weight. She is doing low carb but eats protein and fat freely. Many times protein makes her blood sugar go really high then more insulin. I am trying to find a good plan for her that would be a routine for her to stick to. She used to weigh 49 kg and is now 64 kg. She doesn't feel good about herself.

Hi. I don’t have any experience with insulin or other diabetes meds and you’d need to make sure that was taken account of. I eat 20g or less of carbs a day and my macros are generally around 75-80% fat, 5-7% carbs and the rest protein. Too much protein gives me a higher fasting BG the next morning. My best weight loss comes with intermittent fasting - I don’t eat breakfast and eat only one meal a day (dinner) at least 2-3 times a week - again not sure how that would work on insulin. Maybe you could post something in the type 1 forum to get advice from other type 1s.