Type 2 I have high blood sugar and i just ate sushi...

redeagle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently went to the doctor and was diagnosed with a type 2 level diabetes which can be helped with diet.Well today i went to a sushi bar with my friends and i ordered 1x6pack salmon,avocado roll.So i ate about 5 pieces of sushi cause the 6th i just couldnt due to the taste i didnt like.So i didnt even search how bad white rice can be for sugar patients.Will it be okay for me?I mean i just ate 5 peices of sushi will my blood sugar rise to much dangerous grounds now?.My blood test showed 131mg/ blood sugar and recently it fell to 119

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All rice is to be avoided. Don't worry, your glucose will spike but it will come down again. Are you using a meter for testing?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK well it probably won't have done you much good but also not too much harm.
Sashimi would have been a better choice for a low carb lunch. But welcome anyway.
Are you taking any medication at the moment?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome! As this is your first post i’ll tag in @daisy1 for a useful info pack.

redeagle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No i dont use medication im currently on a diet due to being fat and thoguht sushi would be a clever and healthy food to eat especially maki roll...How long until the blood sugar decreases? Should i skip my fruit ?BTW i take frequent blood test results for sugar.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the Forum.
Please tell us more about you, so we can help.
Many of us test our bloods to see how what we eat affects our blood glucose. It's a help to understand what we can and shouldn't eat.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No i dont use medication im currently on a diet due to being fat and thoguht sushi would be a clever and healthy food to eat especially maki roll...How long until the blood sugar decreases? Should i skip my fruit ?BTW i take frequent blood test results for sugar.
Skip the fruit. Fructose is sugar too.

Reactions: Guzzler

redeagle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess i learned my lesson i should try to eat low carb food then lets just hope i didnt damage anything already with my nonsense.Skipping the fruit then.BTW hankjam i went to the doctor just for a regular blood test when i got the results i saw an extremely high blood sugar level even if its not that dangerous it was pretty high for my age about 130mg/dl without even eating anything the previous day.Also im overweight which means i have to lose weight first and also accompany that with a healthy diet.Currently i have a diet that i try to follow but sadly i ate sushi and i kinda ruined it even if 5 pieces of sushi dont cuase that much of an issue my glykose will surely rise.If you can help me assemble a more low carb diet in order to keep my sugar in check and also lower my weight.I currently follow a diet which consists of meat,fish,vegetables,fruits but only fruits that are low on carbs and calories like strawberries or similar.I cant remember the last time i ate pasta or sweets in general.What should i include more and what should i remove? I also have cheese in my diet but only about 50mlgram of cheese per lunch.Of course fish and meat are boiled or streamed not fried and such.Last week i saw about a 5-10 mg/dl loss in blood sugar and about 2kg loss in 1 week.I also walk to my school and dont take the bus.BTW since last week i cut down completely on salt.

Reactions: hankjam

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess i learned my lesson i should try to eat low carb food then lets just hope i didnt damage anything already with my nonsense.Skipping the fruit then.BTW hankjam i went to the doctor just for a regular blood test when i got the results i saw an extremely high blood sugar level even if its not that dangerous it was pretty high for my age about 130mg/dl without even eating anything the previous day.Also im overweight which means i have to lose weight first and also accompany that with a healthy diet.Currently i have a diet that i try to follow but sadly i ate sushi and i kinda ruined it even if 5 pieces of sushi dont cuase that much of an issue my glykose will surely rise.If you can help me assemble a more low carb diet in order to keep my sugar in check and also lower my weight.I currently follow a diet which consists of meat,fish,vegetables,fruits but only fruits that are low on carbs and calories like strawberries or similar.I cant remember the last time i ate pasta or sweets in general.What should i include more and what should i remove? I also have cheese in my diet but only about 50mlgram of cheese per lunch.Of course fish and meat are boiled or streamed not fried and such.Last week i saw about a 5-10 mg/dl loss in blood sugar and about 2kg loss in 1 week.I also walk to my school and dont take the bus.BTW since last week i cut down completely on salt.
You might want to reintroduce fat, if you're low-carbing. You need to burn something, and if it's not carbs, it'll be fat. And you might need to take in a little more salt as well... Check dietdoctor.com , they've got plenty of ideas and recipies. (I used to indulge in sushi before I started keto. Indulging meant having one single piece with 7 grams of carb.) Do you have a meter? You really need one to know what foods spike you and which are okay...

Reactions: lindijanice

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
(If you're new to low carb, you might be urinating more. If you don't take in some extra salt & water, you'll get dehydrated. Hello headaches and such...)

redeagle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will propably get one for me in order to check myself everyday.Btw by little salt you mean like half a pinch per meal about that.Also fat i eat cheese and sometimes nuts like almonds or walnuts which contains a good amount of fat.Also i drink about 8-9-10 glasses of water everyday i just want to cut down on salt cause since the last time i did that i feel better and healthier.One last question how does the doctor know if a patient has type 1 or type 2 diabetes?I mean if i have type 1 diabetes id be much higher than that.Cause a friend of mine who has type 1 intakes insulin before every meal but he had about 288mg/dl by fasting the previous day.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, for some reason, profiles don't show on my phone.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I understand your post (I’m not native speaker) you practice a mishmash of diets. For quick results you should read about LCHF diet and stick with it for some time to stabilize your BG status.
1. prepare meter with strips (buy 200 strips for first month)
2. measure 10x a day - 3x for each meal and before sleep (before meal, 1h after meal and 2h after meal)
3. read real LCHF web (a lot of people recommend “diet doctor” web)
4. slow down and start

This will bring the peace to your management - don’t skip from one way to other. LCHF is best for T2D - believe me. And the frequent measurement (for the first month) will bring you a lot of information.

Last edited:
Reactions: lindijanice

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One last question how does the doctor know if a patient has type 1 or type 2 diabetes?

Type 1 and type 2 diabetes are two entirely different conditions. Type 1 is an autoimmune disease where the immune system gets bored/over enthusiastic and kills off the insulin producing beta cells. Type 2 is a condition of insulin resistance where the cells don't react properly to the available insulin and can't use it to get sugar into the cells, it often comes along with hyperinsulimia, the over production of insulin in contrast to type 1s who can't produce any insulin.

Type 2 often comes with age (over 50 or younger for south Asian ethnicities) or excess weight, and you have said you are dieting
Also im overweight which means i have to lose weight first and also accompany that with a healthy diet.

Type 2 often doesn't come with symptoms and you went to the doctor for a blood test for something else which showed high sugars. In contrast type 1 is an acute onset condition with sudden symptoms on excess thirst, excess urination, tiredness and weight loss.

Type 1 is usually diagnosed with sugars over 20/30mmol/l. You were diagnosed with blood sugars of 130mg/dL, which is 7.2 mmol/l. Type 1 is often diagnosed with ketones, caused by a lack of insulin, which are less common in type 2 diabetes where the patient is likely to be making more insulin than normal

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will propably get one for me in order to check myself everyday.Btw by little salt you mean like half a pinch per meal about that.Also fat i eat cheese and sometimes nuts like almonds or walnuts which contains a good amount of fat.Also i drink about 8-9-10 glasses of water everyday i just want to cut down on salt cause since the last time i did that i feel better and healthier.One last question how does the doctor know if a patient has type 1 or type 2 diabetes?I mean if i have type 1 diabetes id be much higher than that.Cause a friend of mine who has type 1 intakes insulin before every meal but he had about 288mg/dl by fasting the previous day.
If you're feeling good on less salt, more power to you. But should you go deeper into low carb/high fat and feel a little flu-ish, just have a pinch of salt. Either straight or with water. Or some broth. Just so you know what to do if carb-flu should hit. (It does go away, but our bodies need a little time to adjust to a new regime). Others already tackled the t1/t2 question. Keep reading, keep on learning, stick with the diet, and masses of luck to you!

Reactions: redeagle

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Don't forget chicken for stir frys .... just great. It's also OK to fry meat in good fats. Full on marinaras (prawns, octopus, mussels, calamari etc) in butter even better

Last edited: