I need some advice re low carb high fat diet please.

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
since discovering the LCHF diet ten days ago, I have stuck to it, I lost weight in the first 4 days, but now the weight is going up,
Breakfast is either cheese, hard boiled eggs or coffee with double cream, lunch is avocado and kippers, and dinner is normally veg such as courgettes, romaine lettuce, red peppers, spinach, broccoli, cooked in butter and cream, with chicken thighs, skin on cooked in a air cooker. If I get peckish, snacks are either cheese or nuts, a mix of almonds, Brazil's, cashew, and walnuts.

Could I be overdoing the butter and cream, should I take the skin off the chicken thighs. Due to serious injury, excercise is difficult and life is quite sedentary. I can only walk short distances with crutches, or a shopping trolley,

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive never bought into the idea that calories dont matter on LCHF - if you are putting weight on and your aim is to lose it, then unlimited LCHF isnt working for you.
It might be worth moderaing the amount of fat in your diet as that has more than double the calories per gram that carbs and protein have. I would suggest that the cream, cheese and nuts would be a good place to start partly because with nuts its v easy ( for me anyway) to eat more than you think and the cream / cheese because dairy intolerance is v common and can drive weight issues, it can also be worsened by increasing the frequency and amount at which it is consumed.

Reactions: Greg1957

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think if you need to lose weight then you need to watch the amount that you eat. I have lost over 5stone on lchf, but it doesnt mean that you eat an unlimited amount..

I did not count calories or carbs, but did watch the amount I ate. It is very easy, especially at the beginning, to make up for carbs with protein. I found I overate nuts and cheese.

I write everything down. Times, bgl , amount ( I tend to guess,but know that I underestimate) and type of food. I dont do , it as much now, but a food diary is very helpful.

Your diet sounds fine, so perhaps it is portion sizes that need to be looked at. Good luck with it all.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i would lay off the butter/cream. i prefer low carb healthy fat. your diet is fine. try to weigh yourself once a week at most. keep your fluids up.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am another that needed not only to count carbs but also calories. For me personally it was 1200 calories made up of about 50g carbs (at the time), normal protein, the rest fats. The counting was a bind, but it worked for me. It wasn't until I had lost all my weight and needed to maintain that I increased the fats in order to bump up the calories. At the same time I also reduced the carbs down to 30g to help with BS levels, so my fat intake increased quite a bit. Once my weight was stable I was able to stop all the counting as I could judge by just looking at the portion sizes. Cheese, cream and nuts are very calorific, so portion control is needed.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I skipped breakfast and still do. This has multiple benefits. One it extends your overnight fast to rest your liver and pancreas a bit more. It means I can start the day with a coffee with double cream without any guilt. One less thing to worry about in the morning.
I credit this alongside an Ultra low carb diet with weight loss and significantly lowering my blood sugar.

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
Thanks, yes I think it could certainly be the cream butter and cheese, it makes the veg more appetising, and keeps me feeling full, but I think I have been using to much, had a spike this morning, put me back to 10. I had a couple of single malts last night, first drink in two months, have not eaten breakfast today, I will keep today's meals small, and no nuts, thanks for your help.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, yes I think it could certainly be the cream butter and cheese, it makes the veg more appetising, and keeps me feeling full, but I think I have been using to much, had a spike this morning, put me back to 10. I had a couple of single malts last night, first drink in two months, have not eaten breakfast today, I will keep today's meals small, and no nuts, thanks for your help.

Yes, just cut back on the portion sizes of the diary fats and nuts. No need to cut them out completely. See how you go. It is all trial and error. A food diary including the portion sizes is more than useful. Missing breakfast is a good idea for many, but not for all. If your liver decides it doesn't like it and dumps a lot of extra glucose in your system during the morning, you may need to re-think. I find a coffee with cream as soon as I get up stops this happening and sees me through to lunch time. Suck it and see, make notes, test, weigh yourself, and experiment.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
When you buy a pack of food look for the number of portions it is supposed to serve. It is an eye-opener and gives a guide as to how small the portions should be. Count out the nuts into a small dish or ramekin, Mark the cheese and butter with a knife into portion pieces, and when you feel 'peckish' don't forget the benefits of having a drink (tea, coffee.water) first and then eating if still needed.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The idea of marking cheese and butter is a good one. I measured out a daily amount and put it in a dish in the fridge. When it was gone it was gone.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am another one who has to count calories as well as carbs. I am steadily losing weight slowly, but I have to be careful how much I eat. it has surprised me how little food I actually need.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
since discovering the LCHF diet ten days ago, I have stuck to it, I lost weight in the first 4 days, but now the weight is going up,
Breakfast is either cheese, hard boiled eggs or coffee with double cream, lunch is avocado and kippers, and dinner is normally veg such as courgettes, romaine lettuce, red peppers, spinach, broccoli, cooked in butter and cream, with chicken thighs, skin on cooked in a air cooker. If I get peckish, snacks are either cheese or nuts, a mix of almonds, Brazil's, cashew, and walnuts.

Could I be overdoing the butter and cream, should I take the skin off the chicken thighs. Due to serious injury, excercise is difficult and life is quite sedentary. I can only walk short distances with crutches, or a shopping trolley,

If I have a weight loss stall then I fast for 36-48 hours. BUT as we all know that isn't for everyone. If I didn't feel like fasting or it wasn't convenient for me to do it then I'd cut back on the fat that I eat.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too have to count calories as well as carbs - I don't consider I eat high fat but more "normal" fat - i.e. Don't avoid it but don't inhale it either lol - I don't have a lot of dairy as 1) I don't particularly like it apart from cheese which if I overeat really stalls my weight loss or I sometimes gain. I get my fats from avocado, a small amount of nuts, oily fish and virgin olive oil.

I have also discovered that alcohol also adds a couple of pounds for a day or two. I have a couple of glasses of red about once a month and I always gain on that particular weekend - doesn't stop me having it though hahaha!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have also discovered that alcohol also adds a couple of pounds for a day or two. I have a couple of glasses of red about once a month and I always gain on that particular weekend - doesn't stop me having it though hahaha!

When I was searching for my weight maintenance level of food, I returned to my old habit a glass of red wine each evening. Only for the extra calories you understand!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I too have to watch calories. Cream and cheese as well as chicken skins wouldn’t be my best options. Avocado, olive oil, mayo and a small portion of nuts is about all I need.
I don’t count calories anymore as I just know now and eat about the same amount everyday.

Wine makes me gain weight. When I switched to vodka or whiskey I dropped a bunch. I think the carbs in wine put me over my 20 carbs and filled my glycogen stores

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
Does anyone use rice oil? I have been told that it reduces cholesterol. I generally use olive oil.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone use rice oil? I have been told that it reduces cholesterol. I generally use olive oil.
Use rice bran oil for stir fries but otherwise use olive, coconut or avocado oil