I smoke, drink and eat chocolate - bite me!!

D

Deleted member 45091

yea I know where ya coming from, a lot of people on here want direct answers to help improve there situation which is good but being honest is just as important, any vices we have is not meant to encourage its just pointing a fact that we are humans, I smoke started over last few years cough my guts up most mornings already but like smoking for some reason maybe il change maybe I wont, drinking well at 32 now love a pint always have. I get so excited seeing a pint of carling a bag of pork scratching and dry roasted peanuts that is my heaven ok I need to get out more ha ha, ive never really had a sweet tooth but do love carbs white bread crisps pasta etc. red wine is lovely, at the end of the day each person should live there life as they see fit theres always a ton of reasons medical physical or mentally behind it, I don't want to sound too old id be more worried about the younger generation and that's not just with diabetes a lot seem angry depressed and fed up and that's just when you say they cant have the laptop for half hour, be yaself live yaself and try and be happy oh and the biggest thing is compromise that's is and what will be will be

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
noblehead said:
We all have our own little vices, mine was a Chinese Take-away last night to celebrate my youngests GCSE results and him getting a place in College, was going to Sixth Form but changed his mind.
Well done and congratulations to your son. :smile: You must be very proud

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

slaterk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think the problem Mrspuddle, is that so many people on this forum put in a lot of effort to get their diabetes under control, and the way you worded the title to this thread is perhaps a little provocative...you touched a nerve!

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
My opinion

Well done for having the danglies to say that there is more to life than diabetes.

I work hard to get my diabetes under control but there really is more to life. I don't want a long existence thank you very much.

As for touching a nerve. If it makes people think GOOD!

scarlettohara

Wow, my partner has only just be diagnosed and I'm in a panic about what he can and can't eat let along letting him have the naughty things like chocalate. I don't know where to start.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Maybe bite the doctor? Kid you not - at check up with neurology consultant last week (slight peripheral neuropathy is only complication so far), conversation turned to local wineries and did I know the wine merchant around the corner from the hospital? Advised to keep regular alcohol to no more than 1-2 glasses of dry wine per night. Doctor's rationale - enjoying quality of life for as long as possible matters, but especially empathised quality. In an ideal world I would eliminate both caffeine and alcohol - toss up which is harder at present! One step at a time. Neuropathy is stable BTW. :)

That said I have routine bloods inc HbAC1 checked once a quarter and fairly detailed checks of just about everything every 6-12 months. Great medical system where I live however I do need to pay privately, but most tests reasonable cost. Longevity would be good but only if it is pleasant!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
im not trying to be a argumentative I swear, wouldn't being able to see properly be a better quality of life than have a couple of glasses of wine a night? im not saying don't have it, its everyones choice what they do and I don't think for a second its my place to judge anyone but for discussional purposes I think living as long and as healthily as possible gives us all the best chance of a good quality of life, im not coming from a holier than thou standpoint, everyday I wished I could eat a load of **** drink alcohol and not put the shorts on and try and kill myself running in the rain, I just worry that when people see others saying they don't control things as well as they could or in my opinion should (try) another person may think oh well im not the only one, if they can not worry why should I and generally be unmotivated to live as long and as healthy as possible, especially on a forum like this where people like myself come desperate for advice or any kind.

just my opinion no offense intended

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Sorry still comes across sd preaching/holier than though

WhitbyJet

Andy12345 said:
im not trying to be a argumentative I swear, wouldn't being able to see properly be a better quality of life than have a couple of glasses of wine a night? im not saying don't have it, its everyones choice what they do and I don't think for a second its my place to judge anyone but for discussional purposes I think living as long and as healthily as possible gives us all the best chance of a good quality of life, im not coming from a holier than thou standpoint, everyday I wished I could eat a load of **** drink alcohol and not put the shorts on and try and kill myself running in the rain, I just worry that when people see others saying they don't control things as well as they could or in my opinion should (try) another person may think oh well im not the only one, if they can not worry why should I and generally be unmotivated to live as long and as healthy as possible, especially on a forum like this where people like myself come desperate for advice or any kind.

just my opinion no offense intended

:clap: :clap:

I couldnt agree more Andy, your last sentence took the words right out of my mouth, was just about to write this myself, word for word.
Diabetes needs to be taken seriously, however there is still room for treats, the odd glass of wine, chocolatey treat should be fine for just about everyone, there is no need to feel deprived, I make my own chocolate goodies and cakes I have adapted and adjusted so that I dont miss any of my pre-diagnosis treats; it all comes down to acceptance really and willingness to adapt your lifestyle.
Some people dont want to make changes, whatever their reasons are, its their right to live the way they want to, even if it means their lives are cut short; my auntie is a heavy smoker, the family would constantly have a go at her to stop, but she enjoys smoking too much to even try to give it up, was hard for us all, but eventually we gave up nagging her, she is 82 and still puffing away as we speak right now in my Mums back garden.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Andy & WJ :clap:

No-ones a saint but this condition CAN and WILL bite you if you don't get a handle on it,sure,not everyone wants to live forever-I don't but I want to at least die with my eyes,feet and kidneys intact.

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
I guess this sums up why so many join this forum then don't post. Too much of the telling people who are intelligent adults how to live their lives. Not always directly but still done all the time.

WhitbyJet

Mongoose39uk said:
I guess this sums up why so many join this forum then don't post. Too much of the telling people who are intelligent adults how to live their lives. Not always directly but still done all the time.

No, no, no!!!!!!! Everyone has the right to live the way they choose, read my post again will you.
I used to be miserable when all others around me were eating sugar laden cakes and I knew that I couldnt or shouldnt indulge as there would be a high price to pay, oh my goodness the bitter tears I cried....... until someone came along, took me by the hand and showed me how to make the most divine cup cakes topped with creamy frosting that still kept my bg level where I wanted it to be, and guess what?! People often ask for recipes for my sugar/flourfree cakes.

So you want me to shut up and not try to make it easier for someone else who is right now at this very moment back there at the start, where I once was, full of despair?

I am not going to judge anyone on their lifestyle choices, I have learnt that bit from my auntie (see above), live and let live.

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Take a step back and read all the posts in this thread by the op please.

No don't shut up that's exactly the opposite of the point. Just really accept that people have made choices instead of adding the but.

I really enjoy most of your contributions particularly the foody ones.

julie54

whitbyjet - just on a lighter note (!) - I made your chocolate truffles this morning - just had one - and they are divine!!! Many thanks for the recipe - just the job when the occasional chocolate longing comes along and I can't satisfy it!! Until now, that is!! So thank you again! Very much appreciated! Julie

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I think the real problem is the underlying craving for certainty. If I do A then B will definitely happen - but this is not the real world. Sadly biology is far more messy. Genetics make it even more opaque. Is moderate alcohol OK, is caffeine OK, how many carbs - answer is always it depends. Only certainty is that there is no one size fits all. So please push your health care provider to give as much info as possible, but you will be happier if you personally take charge of your lifestyle decisions - so many options. :).

skipbifferty

Why does everyone make a big deal about chocolate? I eat MULTIPLE bars EVERY day and I'm not affected by high blood sugars at all. I also have very GOOD cholesterol. I've occasionally been hit by high bs when I've eaten choc during the day so perhaps it's safer for me to eat at night. I also have better bs with some chocolate bars over others - for example, Cadbury's Twirls are better bs wise than Nestle Mars. I probably also overdo the insulin slightly because I often wake up with bs just below 4.

In short, in my situation I don't think I'd call eating chocolate a vice except that I'm a bit greedy (but that's nothing to do with diabetes).

I'm not much of a drinker but when I drink beer it does tend to affect my bs quite a lot.

Although I'm also a smoker I wouldn't condone it at all - and especially to diabetics.

That's me!

P.s. I only eat milk chocolate so can't comment on dark chocolate.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thundercat said:

Thank you Thundercat :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
noblehead said:
Thundercat said:

Thank you Thundercat :)

Sorry noblehead I missed this somewhere along the way, ooopps. Are you going out for slap up meal ( or have I missed that as well :eh: ?

Best wishes RRB :)