I think i might have hypoglycemia

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for the replies. I've been reading around online and one site had a Q and A with a dietician who claimed that the current treatment for hypoglycemia was less than 130g of carbs a day (what the keto diet calls moderate carb), across 6, smaller, meals a day; as opposed to no carbs at all.

I have no idea if this is accurate or true, but it seems to me, until i can speak to a professional, that at best the thing to do would be a gradual approach, not to dive right in to as few carbs as possible.

Hi, again, I was quoted that by a succession of doctors and dieticians, even my endocrinologist suggested I ate 'complex' carbs with every meal.
I was also always led to believe by reading around the web, that eating every three hours is a must for Hypoglycaemia sufferers.

I have proven that this is totally against what we should eat and how we eat!

If you eat carbs, then yes, you need to eat every three hours to stop the hypo.
If you don't eat over a certain amount of carbs, you don't, it's about what you can tolerate.
130gms is a very high amount of carbs for someone who is susceptible to hypers and hypos, the lower the better.
I'm certain, if this so called expert, had recurring episodes of Hypoglycaemia, his reaction to carbs would be really different.
I rarely eat over 20gms per day, and I'm good!
It is sustainable!

But as you have said, do it gradually, this is Important. Easy does it, reduce your plate size as well, if you haven't already.

I will say again, you have an intolerance to most normal foods. The peanut allergy example is so true!
Your metabolism is different to most people, a different approach is crucial!
Best wishes.

P.S., I have pm ed you, if you look at the top of the page, there is an picture of an envelope, click on it and you should be able to read.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gosh, 4 pages of discussion on low carb diets when OP has no idea whether their problem/symptoms are actually anything to do with blood sugar. It seems a bit hasty. Surely first step, before changing diet, would have to be investigations to come to a diagnosis, so testing blood sugar when the symptoms are experienced, another review with the GP to discuss any food intolerances/allergies and tests to exclude those?

Neither the OP, nor anyone else commenting on this thread, have any idea of whether he is experiencing hypoglycaemia.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Hotpepper20000

Gosh, 4 pages of discussion on low carb diets when OP has no idea whether their problem/symptoms are actually anything to do with blood sugar. It seems a bit hasty. Surely first step, before changing diet, would have to be investigations to come to a diagnosis, so testing blood sugar when the symptoms are experienced, another review with the GP to discuss any food intolerances/allergies and tests to exclude those?

Neither the OP, nor anyone else commenting on this thread, have any idea of whether he is experiencing hypoglycaemia.
I agree. I was responding to the OP questions about what to eat if not a cheese sandwich or other high carb foods.
I have no idea nor did I try to infer that I knew what the diagnosis was.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yeah, that's true!
I have begun posts with an if, but am at fault for surmising his predicament.
I have tried to give my experience, but he does needs diagnosis.

He needs medical advice, but as before wether he gets someone that has treated hypoglycaemia (if he does indeed have it) is not in my experience.
But, a low carb diet won't do him much harm in the long run!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yeah, that's true!
I have begun posts with an if, but am at fault for surmising his predicament.
I have tried to give my experience, but he does needs diagnosis.

He needs medical advice, but as before wether he gets someone that has treated hypoglycaemia (if he does indeed have it) is not in my experience.
But, a low carb diet won't do him much harm in the long run!

Again, no one can say that, without knowing what is wrong with him.
I would say short term it can cause no harm, then the op can decide if it has helped, or made him worse, then than take the information to his doctor, and have more information to be correctly diagnosed.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I want to try this and I appreciate the advice, but it's a bit overwhelming. Curries are nice, but i've no idea how tocook one, and what would you replace the rice with?

Having said that, if you still fancy an easy curry, I just had a tin of Aldi hot chicken curry, added to a handful of mushrooms, a small onion, and a selection of frozen veg.
The carb content of the curry was 24g per tin, plus whatever is in the veg.
It made two decent bowls of curry, for 99p for the can, and the cost of whatever veg you choose to add to it.
More veg the better for me.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Again, no one can say that, without knowing what is wrong with him.
I would say short term it can cause no harm, then the op can decide if it has helped, or made him worse, then than take the information to his doctor, and have more information to be correctly diagnosed.

The problem is fine if his doctor can give a diagnosis or refer him to an endocrinologist who knows how to gain a diagnosis. In my long experience that can be rather hit or miss!
Not many GPs or even endos have experience of Hypoglycaemia. And there are many forms of Hypoglycaemia. Tests are used to eliminate other conditions rather than defining them.
In my experience, the nutritional information from our dietary advisors is flawed and I'm almost certain that as he has looked around, that the consensus on diet is to eat carbs, which by our 'reaction' is causing the condition and all the horrific symptoms.
You, as T2 diabetic, do not need the extreme low version of the low carb diet!
I do, and after four years of low carbing, I'm as healthy as I can possibly be, for a man of my age!
I don't and wouldn't post anything that would likely make the op worse.
He needs a new way of thinking if he has any form of Hypoglycaemia.

ghost_whistler

By the sounds of it, it's not really going to make any differnce. There seems to be the notion that doctors don't really understand this, and that they prescribe ineffectual solutions (such as 6 meals a day). I can't imagine any medical professional, if questioned about this, will see things differently, assuming they are wrong.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The problem is fine if his doctor can give a diagnosis or refer him to an endocrinologist who knows how to gain a diagnosis. In my long experience that can be rather hit or miss!
Not many GPs or even endos have experience of Hypoglycaemia. And there are many forms of Hypoglycaemia. Tests are used to eliminate other conditions rather than defining them.
In my experience, the nutritional information from our dietary advisors is flawed and I'm almost certain that as he has looked around, that the consensus on diet is to eat carbs, which by our 'reaction' is causing the condition and all the horrific symptoms.
You, as T2 diabetic, do not need the extreme low version of the low carb diet!
I do, and after four years of low carbing, I'm as healthy as I can possibly be, for a man of my age!
I don't and wouldn't post anything that would likely make the op worse.
He needs a new way of thinking if he has any form of Hypoglycaemia.

And maybe a new way of thinking if it's not any form of Hypoglycaemia at all?
You're just gambling that an ultra low carb will be suitable for any illness, diagnosed or not.
The others on here are saying maybe it's so easy to be certain over the internet, with no diagnosis and just a brief sketch of the symptoms?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
By the sounds of it, it's not really going to make any differnce. There seems to be the notion that doctors don't really understand this, and that they prescribe ineffectual solutions (such as 6 meals a day). I can't imagine any medical professional, if questioned about this, will see things differently, assuming they are wrong.

Keep pushing. Not all doctors are unhelpful. If you could keep a food/symptoms diary, that might arm you with evidence to show a doctor.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Well it would make a difference if you aren't having hypoglycaemia but some other problem that should recieve treatment in some other way.

It would also make a difference if investigations indicated you were suffering hypoglycaemia for some cause that could be treated. You would have to see an endocrinologist for advice and treatment.

At the moment, without having done any blood tests that actually show you being hypoglycaemic, your symptoms are you feel abit weird if you don't eat frequently enough. Perhaps you just have a high metabolism and need to eat frequently.

Rather than writing off any assistance from healthcare professionals, it's probably sensible to exhaust investigations of your symptoms to reassure yourself that there isn't something sinister causing them and that there isn't something simply treatable and resolvable causing them.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Whatever, the circumstances dictates that you see your GP and get a referral!
Maybe, just maybe, the op will get a diagnosis.
In the meantime he should follow the really helpful advice, given about low carb, higher fat diet.

ghost_whistler

And maybe a new way of thinking if it's not any form of Hypoglycaemia at all?
You're just gambling that an ultra low carb will be suitable for any illness, diagnosed or not.
The others on here are saying maybe it's so easy to be certain over the internet, with no diagnosis and just a brief sketch of the symptoms?
What else could it be? What similar conditions exist?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
What else could it be? What similar conditions exist?

None of us know anything about you, what your results where, what your symptoms are, what foods you are allergic to, or anything about your health or history.

You've been diagnosed over this thread by the the internet equivalent of the bloke down the pub for medical qualifications as well.
None of us are doctors.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt there is much more we can do to help you. I strongly suggest you keep a diary of when these symptoms appear, in what circumstances, when and what you last ate. Then make an appointment with your doctor and show them to him. Beg and plead for a meter with strips on prescription so you can check your levels when you feel so rough.

I made the above post yesterday, and I still stand by it. Get hold of a meter and start testing at the times your symptoms appear. If you don't do that you have no evidence to present to a doctor, and quite honestly there is nothing anyone on here can do to help you. We aren't doctors, and we have no evidence other than your statements that you feel rubbish at certain times.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long is it normal to get hungry again really quickly after a non/low carb meal?

:D Generally we don't get hungry quickly on a low carb high fats meal, eg a 150g plate of roast pork belly lunch with no sides can last me till next day lunch...your mileage may vary...

At least I don't get the intense, ravenous, jittery hunger that comes 3-4 hours after a carbs laden meal...

ghost_whistler

None of us know anything about you, what your results where, what your symptoms are, what foods you are allergic to, or anything about your health or history.

You've been diagnosed over this thread by the the internet equivalent of the bloke down the pub for medical qualifications as well.
None of us are doctors.
Of course, but my question was: what other conditions could it be?