I wish I hadn’t done it

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I decided to experiment today and had a half portion of scampi and chips with peas for lunch at the pub. Pre meal my BG was 5 and I have been testing every hour since.
After 1hr, 7.5
2hrs, 7.4
3hrs 7.1

Needless to say, I won’t be doing that again! The worst of it is, I didn’t particularly enjoy it either!

Has anyone else been tempted to go “off piste” just to see what happens?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not the (lack of) rise you might want but if I’m honest for what you ate I think you got off lightly.
And yes I’ve done the same a couple of times with worse numbers and more resolve not to repeat it (or only very rarely).

Reactions: Guzzler

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I decided to experiment today and had a half portion of scampi and chips with peas for lunch at the pub. Pre meal my BG was 5 and I have been testing every hour since.
After 1hr, 7.5
2hrs, 7.4
3hrs 7.1

Needless to say, I won’t be doing that again! The worst of it is, I didn’t particularly enjoy it either!

Has anyone else been tempted to go “off piste” just to see what happens?
You did well with that reading - I tend to steer clear of Scampi because I usually go up to 8.00 at 2 hours and drop to 7 after 3.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Yup. It is a salient lesson, indeed.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@HelenHak definitely been there. Last summer allowed myself to eat several small bowls of crisps and a couple of bread rolls while flying Upper Class on a flight to the US. Went up to around 9mmols - came back fairly fast, but having promised myself that I could do the same on the return flight, those plans were swiftly abandoned.

The crisps did taste good, the bread not so much. This year I’ll be asking for extra butter to butter the cheese and skipping the bread. The crisps may be more of a challenge.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Wow. Scampi and chips. My being bad is different but with consequences like you have.

Anyone while on holiday, break your routine and sleep after lunch (of an LCHF egg-white omelette) and wake 3 hours later with blood sugars of 9.3 (Libre so it's somewhere under this). I did, to be fair, run for 10 minutes before sleeping but missed that hour walking afterwards so had no chance of clearing lunch. :( Won't do that again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1spuds

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Last time I tried that particular meal my blood sugars went into high double figures though I did quite enjoy the meal I am not going to try it again in the near future. But as has been said those numbers were not especially bad so you were lucky, this time; don't do it too often.

Last edited:
Reactions: hankjam

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You did quite well considering what you ate. I imagine most of us have gone off piste in the name of science the odd time. I know I did earlier this year on holiday when we had a pub meal. The particular pub is famous for its home made and very delicious steak and kidney pies. I ordered one with chips and veg. The veg turned out to be carrots and peas. I didn't eat much of the pastry but the wonderful steak and kidney was covered in a rich gravy, which made the chips extra special when dipped in it. I would not normally have tested, but I was wearing a Libre at the time so couldn't avoid it. I hit double figures for the first time since I had a plum in 2014! I really enjoyed it, until afterwards when I felt awful, sweaty, bloated and generally horrid. The weird thing was I dropped like a stone after 3 hours - down to the low 4s. That would have been too much circulating insulin causing that. No wonder I felt bad. I think you escaped rather well.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I wish my sugar spiked to that when I binge on something i love. I am not very well right now fighting a virus and lack of sleep has made me crave sugar . I've had some cheese cake today and then some NICE biscuits and two hours later 11.7 .
Just eaten a low carb high fat tea and too scared to test two hours later now as probably will be very much higher .
This is what depresses me about diabetes, you pay the price big time for just wanting something really nice to eat :(

Reactions: Arab Horse
M

Member496333

Yeah been there got the boxset, as I imagine has everyone else on these boards. Don’t worry about it, it’s done now. Stay calm and carry on :D

Reactions: Major Buckmaster

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
By four hours I was back to 5.3. I think I did get off lightly but I won’t do it again
Well done you. I'm 7.7 (freestyle lite so more accurate than Libre) 5 hours later so wasn't so lucky. I'm off to the gym to try to correct my mistake.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Surely everyone does! That’s life.
Honestly I don't. I am not a saint, diabetes really scared me almost literally to death, so that thought of high carb I can't face. I do extra dip / take Keto stuff from time to time.

Reactions: 1spuds

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Honestly I don't. I am not a saint, diabetes really scared me almost literally to death, so that thought of high carb I can't face. I do extra dip / take Keto stuff from time to time.
I can't be bad by eating carbs either. My blood sugars would be in the double digits for the day.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff

I have anxiety and it scares me as well but sometimes I cave. For the most part I’m okay but I can’t always be so good.

Reactions: WackyJacky64

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Surely everyone does! That’s life.

I’m with @Mbaker , I haven’t been tempted by anymore than two chips or a spoonful of dessert off hubby’s plate since diagnosis. I haven’t had a reading in double figures since diagnosis except after major surgery (10.2 in recovery!) I’m not a saint either.... my reason not to stray? During my nursing career I saw too many of the complications of uncontrolled diabetes, the site of gangrene can never be unseen :(

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
I’m with @Mbaker , I haven’t been tempted by anymore than two chips or a spoonful of dessert off hubby’s plate since diagnosis. I haven’t had a reading in double figures since diagnosis except after major surgery (10.2 in recovery!) I’m not a saint either.... my reason not to stray? During my nursing career I saw too many of the complications of uncontrolled diabetes, the site of gangrene can never be unseen :(

I don’t call the odd treat uncontrolled myself.