1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Ideas for spicing-up vegetables

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by Mauriac, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Mauriac

Mauriac Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

As part of my low carb eating I eat a lot of vegetables, especially broccoli, cauliflower and French beans. I find them a bit dull so normally add a little soy sauce to give them a bit more flavour. It would be good to have some other things that I could dress them with that are low carb, not too high on calories and don't require a lot of preparation. Does anyone have any ideas please?

2. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Butter, lots of it salt and pepper.
    Or grated Parmesan cheese
    Calories are irrelevant if you are following the low carb diet that helps most people control their diabetes

3. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Pepper, Tabasco, kimchi ... I eat lots of kimchi lol

4. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

A wonderful topping is a mix of
    1/3 nutritional yeast
    1/3 ground cashews
    1/3 ground macadamia
    You can substitute whichever nuts you prefer, sprinkle over the top and store mix in jar for easy access.
    You can also add chili etc to the mix.

lemon on broccoli or asparagus is particularly good,

margarine/butter and garlic on grilled string beans

aminos/soy sauce sprayed over broccoli with melted grated cheese

Stir fry in sesame oil with ginger and garlic or sesame seeds sprinkled on your veggies

Coconut cream with ginger (or curry) or any seasoning you like cooked with cauliflower rice
    (you can mix in small pieces of veggies too)

Sour cream mixed with chives and garlic topping or dip

Any gravy mixed with your veggies

• Like Like x 1
    #4 Marie 2, Sep 11, 2020 at 2:42 AM
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  5. Mauriac

Thanks for all the suggestions (I've only just seen them as I didn't get an alert for any of them).

@LaoDan I'd read about kimchi but only recently (about a month ago) saw it in the supermarket and bought some. I agree it is good as spicing things up, although it is quite high in salt so I need to go easy on it. Fortunately a little goes quite a long way.

@Marie 2 what are aminos please?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

7. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Took me over a year to find out you need to adjust your alert preferences :bag:.
    Just hover over your name at the top right on a computer or tap it on your phone and a little pop up menu appears where you can select and adjust them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Mauriac

Thank you! I've discovered from that that if I set up a thread I need to 'watch' it because people are unlikely to quote you, they will simply reply to the thread, and so you only get a notification if they 'mention' you (again not likely) or you are watching the thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook