1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

If you take supplements, what do you take them for?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Giverny, Jun 20, 2013.

?

If you take supplements, what do you take them for?

Poll closed Jul 20, 2013.
  1. General health

24 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. Eye health

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. Heart health

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Joint health

13 vote(s)
    28.9%
  5. Mental health

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  6. Sexual health

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  7. Vitamin deficiencies

20 vote(s)
    44.4%
  8. Other (please specify in a post below)

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  9. None

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. AlanEadie

AlanEadie · Member

I take multivitamins (NutriShield) to help prevent catching colds. As well as being diabetic I am also asthmatic and when I catch a cold I am liable to lose control of my asthma and finish up in hospital. I am very pleased how successful this has been.

Alan (HbA1c = 5.7)

2. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

A gp that attends my upholstery course says that walnuts are good for everything and magnesium is good for muscles. However she said that multivitamins are not as good as a good diet with meat and veg (no mention of carbs!!).

3. mo1905

mo1905 Type 1 · BANNED

Love walnuts but not cheap ! I pay about £2 for a very small bag.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

10ml of Seven Seas High Strength Cod Liver Oil, hopefully get everything else I need from my diet.

5. pickledpepper2

pickledpepper2 · Well-Known Member

Try Aldis

They do a 180g bag for about £1.80

6. Jessicasugar24

Jessicasugar24 · Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I take sea kelp, multivitamin & iron and zinc,

They all help against colds ect and the sea kelp against my nails and hair as it doesn't grow much down to a deficiency from me being coeliac.

Thanks
    Jessica

7. Lucie75

Lucie75 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I take Vit C and Zinc together to boost my immune system. Have been taking it for about a year now (at a high dose of 1000% per day) and have only had one cold in that time. Beforehand I was having one cold straight after another so it felt like I was ill for months. I've really seen the difference.

8. ailsa

ailsa Type 1 · Member

I take Chromium Picolinate, Cranberry. Cinnamon powder on yog or cereal. These were recommended somewhere for Diabetics. I take Glucosamine for joints and Vit B and Zinc for emotional balance. I feel like a junky at times, but at nearly 68 apart from my insulin and in the last week thyroxine I take no other medication. I think I am doing ok. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43587#

9. SpikyMike

SpikyMike Type 1 · Active Member

I take Vitamin D3 (as live in north of Scotland!), Vitamin B12 (for pernicious anaemia), Omega 3, Glucosamine (for joints), and a multivitamin & mineral.

Type 1 since 1969.

10. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

Also, try the larger Asian food supermarkets. Nuts feature very much in Asian diets and nearly nut going is available except Macadamia.

If I remember correctly from listening to a radio programme some time ago about Omega 3, it was mentioned that eating 6 walnuts per day would provide all the Omega 3 and Omega 6 that would be needed for good health.

11. pickledpepper2

Cool I really love walnuts, including crumbling them on a zesty salad!

12. MarathonMan81

MarathonMan81 Type 1 · Member

Vitamin D3 and Omega-3/Cod Liver oil for general health. Also Turmeric
    And ZMA for male health

:)

13. dollydreamer

dollydreamer Type 2 · Active Member

hiya,
    i take co-enzyme q10 300mg and chromium complex plus a vit b complex high strength.

for two years i have been taking 2 x 1000mg of metformin and victoza injections. since starting suplements (6 weeks ago) i have come off victoza and reduced metformin to 3 x 500mg and after my next hba1c i hope to reduce metformin to 2 x 500mg per day.

i also take chlorella and spirulina about 3mg per day of each.

i follow a low carb and low fat diet. i eat fish twice a week, i also juice green veg every other day as a meal replacement.
    i've completely changed my eating habits since i've been juicing. i do have an emotional eating disorder but have found the juicing helps me to control my food intake because i'm not hungry.

i feel better in myself, my depression is lifting, i have more energy. i just watched the tv programme on channel 4, sick and dying about a juicing fast. i havn't done that but i know that green vegetables, the darker the better are the finest thing for our bodies.

14. pickledpepper2

I saw a 3 for 2 deal on Ginkgo Biloboa in Sainburys and jumped on it. Apparently it has scientifically recognised efficacy in improving blood circulation.

However, I did come across some papers suggesting a raise in bs levels on taking it so will be keeping an eye out (even though I have no test strips).

15. hornplayer

hornplayer · Well-Known Member

Don't really like walnuts :( - a pity, considering all the good things I'm reading about them. - I don't s'pose pecans, their prettier, very much nicer tasting cousins are any good for you??

I take a good multi vitamin and mineral supplement. I eat naked salad vegetables, home grown, but at the moment, most of my protein during the day comes from a high protein, very low carb shake, which I carry in powdered form. - before anyone yells at me, my job means that my car is my office. I don't feel comfortable eating protein that's been sitting in the car in this heat, even with a cooler! My cholesterol is a little too high, so cheese is sadly off the menu.

16. karenmc2

karenmc2 Type 2 · Active Member

Evening primrose oil for severe pmt

17. Lucyturner

Lucyturner · Well-Known Member

I take vitamin C and zinc tablets that you dissolve in water and also iron tablets and I have to have 3 monthly injections of vitamin b12 as my levels are very low. I have also recently been diagnosed with nocturnal epilepsy along with being type 1, the tablets that I take for the epilepsy make me very tired which is why I take the supplements as they help to boost my energy levels but I also find going to the gym does this as well so I go there at least 3 times a week.

Lucy

18. Dusk71

Dusk71 · Well-Known Member

If u don't like walnuts then almonds are good too hornplayer... I take 2 probiotics each day to stop the ( windy) effects of metformin! I'd recommend this as it works. I also drink cholesterol reducing yogs.

19. hornplayer

hornplayer · Well-Known Member

Like almonds. :) - 'cept the organic ones, which, for some reason make my mouth go numb. Strange.

20. benjygirl

benjygirl Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I take a multivitamin and Creon which were prescribed by my consultant after I had pancreatitis.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook