Type 2 I'm following LCD but not losing weight

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just before Xmas set myself up to do a Low Carb, High Fat diet. Cleaned out the pantry and fridge so I only had the right foods in them etc.
Print out menus for the week from Diet Doctor
I am doing IF 6 days a week ....16/8
Full fast on one day
Deep water aqua aerobics every day. Either for 30 minutes or 60. Sometimes pop into the water and do 2x 30 mins. Often have a swim before bed which I suspect may have something to do with the decreased BGL of a morning.
I'm not hungry at all.
I am 170cm tall and weigh 69kg. Would love to get down to 64kgs.

Ive managed to get my morning BGL down from 10.7 to 7.7 since 28/12/2018

Averages for the last 7 days;
BGL 7.6mmol
Standard deviation 1.1 (not sure what this means)
Before/After BG 7.4 / 7.7
Overall ;- 90% within and 10% above
Before Meals ;- 100% within
After meals ;- 78% within

Am I expecting too much?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi sparkle and welcome. Well done on your achievements so far.
First let me tag in @daisy1 for her useful info post as you’ve just joined.
I entered your stats into our NHS BMI calculator and your BMI is within the healthy range, the range suggested for you is 53.5 - 72.2kg. Is there a reason why you want to get lower than you are? I wonder if your body is just at the ‘right’ level for you as it is.

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Part of the reason I am concerned is that my Body Fat % has gone up to 36.9 from 34. If belly fat causes problems with glucose resistance I would have thought that I would be losing it from there. Still feel "chunky" there with no change except for loss of bloating which is nice.

Reactions: kitedoc

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @sparkie69 and welcome.

I struggle with something similar. Normal weight but larger around the middle than I’d like. Weight isn’t always the best marker. I found this article by Megan Ramos which gave me a useful perspective. Might be of interest to you;

https://idmprogram.com/why-does-body-composition-matter-women-and-fasting-part-4/

The other thing is to make sure you’re eating enough so that your body doesn’t feel the need to cling on to what it’s got.

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that link. It would have been good for her to answer the questions in respect to how to not lose lean muscle mass whilst doing this. Its almost like having a heap of balls in the air at the same time. I am trying to not obsess over it all. I think that I will add my mini trampoline work back in as it does build muscle, probably more so than swimming. If I don't get a result from that will probably join the gym to do weights. Not sure if I am eating enough though as its hard to judge when you're not hungry. Muscle weighs in more than fat so perhaps there is an exchange going on that isn't obvious. I checked ketones today for the first time and they were measuring 0.4.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would have been good for her to answer the questions in respect to how to not lose lean muscle mass

Pretty sure that Jason Fung has written about this. Most of his stuff is available for free if you google around.

I’ve found weights at the gym very helpful - and their body composition scales are much better than my home ones.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Sparkle1953
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it interesting and helpful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

M

Member496333

Most likely you either still have elevated blood insulin (likely given your FBG), or your body has reached its biological optimum.

Ponchu

Interesting - my 30 year old son began low carb healthy fat 6 mos ago.

He weight lifted 3x per week and was strict.

His weight barely budged for 5 months...he hoped to lose 20lbs.

He looked leaner (no “carb face”) and muscles were more visible but belly kept its fat.

He refused to be discouraged and whenever I asked he said, “I’m not concerned. I’m in nutritional ketosis and I trust the science. I’ve never felt better.

In the last 4 weeks, the weight is falling off him. His waist is down 2 inches.

He hasn’t changed a thing.

“Trust the science” kept him from constantly weighing himself.

I gotta follow his example!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
. It would have been good for her to answer the questions in respect to how to not lose lean muscle mass whilst doing this.

Eat lots of protein
  • meat that looks like meat
  • fish that looks like fish
And ideally, do some resistance training. I like the method in the "Body by Science" book.

Also, it is worth remembering that it is very hard to measure "lean muscle mass" and the measurement can change depending on how hydrated you are, and if you have filled glycogen stores.

Brodiebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabeties
this always confuses me -

Yet the 'less than five don't drive, four hit the floor, 3 A&E' mantra doesn't fit into the above regards drving , or am I missing something ?

Reactions: Ponchu
M

Member496333

Yet the 'less than five don't drive, four hit the floor, 3 A&E' mantra doesn't fit into the above regards drving , or am I missing something ?

I may be incorrect but to my knowledge the driving rule is only for those using exogenous insulin where dosing errors can lead to hypoglycaemia. It likely also applies to some hypoglycaemic medicines. For example, to the best of my knowledge, the driving legislation doesn’t apply to a typical type 2 using Metformin.

Edited to clarify - if you are reading 4.9mmol/L before a drive, and you’ve just taken a shot of insulin or mis-dosed an earlier one, there’s a greater risk that you’ll go hypo in the outside lane of the M1...

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

The dvsa has its own definition of blood sugar levels. They don’t match the medical definitions.

Dvsa count anything under 5 as a hypo and you cannot drive.
Medical profession doesn’t.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I may be incorrect but to my knowledge the driving rule is only for those using exogenous insulin where dosing errors can lead to hypoglycaemia. It likely also applies to some hypoglycaemic medicines. For example, to the best of my knowledge, the driving legislation doesn’t apply to a typical type 2 using Metformin.

Edited to clarify - if you are reading 4.9mmol/L before a drive, and you’ve just taken a shot of insulin or mis-dosed an earlier one, there’s a greater risk that you’ll go hypo in the outside lane of the M1...

Not necessarily.
As a diabetic if you are aware you are under 5 you are at risk of liability if it gets found out.

Having said that if you don’t test and don’t know. You don’t know and it can’t be found out!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The less then "5 don't drivie" is only for people on drugs/inslin that can stop the body correcting BG if it goes lower. It is 5 as a meter may overread hence better to be a bit high, and it is unlikely the BG will unexpectedly drop from 5 to a level that is unsafe to drive within two hours.

M

Member496333

Not necessarily.
As a diabetic if you are aware you are under 5 you are at risk of liability if it gets found out.

Having said that if you don’t test and don’t know. You don’t know and it can’t be found out!

Thanks for the correction. I was under the impression that only “registered users” of hypoglycaemics were required by law to monitor blood glucose before driving :)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

It is a legal requirement for anyone on inslin (and a few drugs) to test before they drive, there is no BG rule for driving for anyone else.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Thanks for the correction. I was under the impression that only “registered users” of hypoglycaemics were required by law to monitor blood glucose before driving :)

You don’t have to monitor but the level of 5 don’t drive applies.

My doctor told me don’t test because then you can’t drive. Eat something.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Sorry, by “monitor” I just meant test/check.

That’s what I mean too.

As a type 2 I don’t have to test to see if I can drive.
But if I know (by having tested that I’m below 5) I shouldn’t drive.

Do yesterday because I couldn’t say, I’m a driving instructor. Was told to stay at home and not drive because wouldn’t be safe.