Improving sleep

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Stress sounds like a factor, i took Valerian to help me sleep it worked well for me, i also made a conscious effort to bring down my stress levels.

62Rose

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
When you reduce your carbs, are you increasing your non-root veg, protein and fats to compensate? Often just adding a dab of butter to veg, or a sprinkle of cheese will be enough. Doing that will prevent the hunger. It is all about finding the right balance, but being hungry on low carb just means you need to do more tweaking. :)

I am dairy intolerant so don't really have that option, I presume soya cheese won't count! I have been eating a teaspoon of cold pressed coconut oil after reading that it may help. I didn't find my fried egg and bacon very satisfying, I really missed the carbs and have had to eat 2 slices of bread (with a meal) today as I do t know what else to eat . I also had a very small sweet potato today, but as you say it will take time to find out what works..

I was out of sorts this morning and just didn't know what to eat so had toast and peanut butter, but I had been awake three times and got up at six, I could barely have cooked a breakfast anyway as I was so fuzzy headed. I just can't face a fried breakfast at that time of day and don't really like meat anyway so I had that later around 9. It's not easy as I have already cut out all sugary foods apart from 90% chocolate (a small piece with a meal) and that's been so difficult I had such a sweet tooth and still really get fed up about it all three years on.

Sorry even now my thoughts are all muddled.

62Rose

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
What did they share about your insulin/glucose response after the 3 day fast?

Usually a 3 day fast would be highly therapeutic. Because it lowers glucose/insulin and raise ketones.

You may want to consider researching about virgin coconut oil and try taking a couple of spoonful before going to bed...it helped to keep my brain happy during the start of my multi-day fast. But it sounds like you may need it more regularly.

I'm not sure why but the fast was far from therapeutic for me, I would be really wary if anyone else is asked to try to do it.
I have tried the coconut oil today and will continue to see how it works. I have made my own snack bars with it in the past with chocolate and peanuts and desiccated coconut! I suppose I won't be making them anymore. Thank you for your thoughts.

62Rose

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Stress sounds like a factor, i took Valerian to help me sleep it worked well for me, i also made a conscious effort to bring down my stress levels.

Thanks for your help but I already take pregabalin for fibromyalgia so maybe not good to take anything else? I'm not really stressed, just frustrated. I'm interested in why you think I may be stressed though?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry if i missed you mentioning dairy intolerance before.
I can see how not enjoying meat and being unable to eat dairy would cramp your LC style.

Are you ok with oily fish? Or do you lean towards vegetarianism?

I cant tolerate whey in dairy, but i am ok with dairy foods that have the whey removed. I believe many of us are either whey or lactose intolerant.

If you like dairy free vegetarianism then we have some forumites who make it work. :) nuts, seeds, avocado, olive oil, mayonnaise, nut milks, macadamia nut oil... @Avocado Sevenfold is a vegan and eats low carb, and her recipes and her menus are awesome. She will be able to answer your question of whether soya cheese will work in LC. :)

I completely understand the feeling 'but what can I eat?!?'
I think we all go through that, but sooner or later, a swtch flips in our heads, and we start to think 'oh? So I can eat that, can I?

If you have a sweet tooth, will look out a few websites that may reassure you - you CAN still eat enjoyable food!

Edited for punctuation :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 62Rose

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you OK with eggs?

This page links to a whole host of low carb recipes, lots of them Paleo (dairy free) and a lot of them gluten free. Including some great breakfast cereals, cakes and lots of vegetable dishes.
https://uk.pinterest.com/sarahskinnyswts/paleo-skinny-eats/?lp=true

This website has a lot of sweet stuff, most of it has dairy free options or adjustments that are possible
http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes...hocolate-mug-cake-low-carb-dairy-gluten-free/

I am a great Mug Cake enthusiast - though I try to limit my intake because of my waistline.
But it is a great thing to know that I can knock together a low carb mug cake (they do tend to need an egg, within a microwave minute or two), you just need the ingredients to hand.
http://thebigmansworld.com/2016/09/17/healthy-1-minute-low-carb-cinnamon-roll-mug-cake/

I promise you, there are some deliciously wonderful recipes out there.

Reactions: kokhongw

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am dairy intolerant so don't really have that option, I presume soya cheese won't count! I have been eating a teaspoon of cold pressed coconut oil after reading that it may help. I didn't find my fried egg and bacon very satisfying, I really missed the carbs and have had to eat 2 slices of bread (with a meal) today as I do t know what else to eat . I also had a very small sweet potato today, but as you say it will take time to find out what works..

I was out of sorts this morning and just didn't know what to eat so had toast and peanut butter, but I had been awake three times and got up at six, I could barely have cooked a breakfast anyway as I was so fuzzy headed. I just can't face a fried breakfast at that time of day and don't really like meat anyway so I had that later around 9. It's not easy as I have already cut out all sugary foods apart from 90% chocolate (a small piece with a meal) and that's been so difficult I had such a sweet tooth and still really get fed up about it all three years on.

There are always alternatives to the stuff you shouldn't eat.
It's just the realisation that you need to believe that the food that has helped you, is the food that is harmful.
Normal, basic foodstuff that have been your staple diet for all your life, is making you ill.
There is so much going on, you just don't know and trust yourself that you can do this, you can and must if you want to be healthy.
If you were told you have a peanut allergy, you wouldn't eat them.
This is not so bad as that but you have an intolerance to certain foods, including a dairy intolerance, you won't eat dairy, so why eat bread?
It is difficult, it is really hard, but it does get easier the more you stay away from them.
Do please read the success stories forum.
Do read the low carb forum, there are great ideas and recipes for alternative foods, you will be surprised to find some great stuff on there.

You will have good days and bad days. Don't give up!

Best wishes

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi there.

I'm not sure if anyone can help me. I have been struggling with sugar fluctuations for nearly 4 years, I'm 55 next week. My endocrinologist said that I am not clinically RH but should follow the advice given as if I were. Despite eating at least 6 small meals a day, steering clear of sugar etc etc I am still struggling at night. I wake up at least 2/3 times sweating and sometimes with my stomach churning. I used to eat which would then give me a couple of hours more sleep but I try not to as I'm not sure that really helps. I only very occasionally sleep right through and I just can't work out why.

Hi @62Rose I don't know anything about RH, but this paragraph here reminded me of a man I saw on a TV programme this week. He had disturbed sleep every night for years, night sweats and felt lethargic throughout the day.

Spoiler alert! A blood test revealed he had high levels of homocysteine so the doctor prescribed a high dose of B12, B6 and folate and that sorted his sleep very quickly. I am not saying that this is what you have, just that some symptoms can stem from other reasons. If you have a spare hour, maybe check out the programme (series 2, episode 2). All the best.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08rzs35/doctor-in-the-house-series-2-episode-2

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Dairy free breakfasts - how about some nutty muesli with Alpro yogurt? Make a jar in advance so it's easy to prep if you feel fuzzy headed (post #49) http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegan-meals.88333/page-3 If I'm pushed for time, I like a glass of unsweetened almond milk and a strawberry or two. It is enough to tell my liver I am awake and to take the edge off any hunger.

If you do have toast, make sure it is from one of the lower carb breads on the market such as Lidl high protein rolls, Hi-Lo bread, Tesco high protein bread, Livlife bread.

The nicest non-dairy cheese, in my opinion, is Violife because it melts so well, but at 20% carb is only low carb if you eat a tiny portion! A better option would be a nut cheese such as baked feta http://www.maplespice.com/2011/04/baked-almond-feta-with-dill-oil.html which is lovely on a slither of toasted Lidl roll or as a blob on the side of a plate of roast Mediterranean veggies.

62Rose

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi @62Rose I don't know anything about RH, but this paragraph here reminded me of a man I saw on a TV programme this week. He had disturbed sleep every night for years, night sweats and felt lethargic throughout the day.

Spoiler alert! A blood test revealed he had high levels of homocysteine so the doctor prescribed a high dose of B12, B6 and folate and that sorted his sleep very quickly. I am not saying that this is what you have, just that some symptoms can stem from other reasons. If you have a spare hour, maybe check out the programme (series 2, episode 2). All the best.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08rzs35/doctor-in-the-house-series-2-episode-2
Thank you, I saw this too and am when am I eventually given a new appointment with an Endocrinologist, going to ask about it, I also wonder about what @LamontD was referring to previously about other conditions with similar symptoms.

62Rose

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Are you OK with eggs?

This page links to a whole host of low carb recipes, lots of them Paleo (dairy free) and a lot of them gluten free. Including some great breakfast cereals, cakes and lots of vegetable dishes.
https://uk.pinterest.com/sarahskinnyswts/paleo-skinny-eats/?lp=true

This website has a lot of sweet stuff, most of it has dairy free options or adjustments that are possible
http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes...hocolate-mug-cake-low-carb-dairy-gluten-free/

I am a great Mug Cake enthusiast - though I try to limit my intake because of my waistline.
But it is a great thing to know that I can knock together a low carb mug cake (they do tend to need an egg, within a microwave minute or two), you just need the ingredients to hand.
http://thebigmansworld.com/2016/09/17/healthy-1-minute-low-carb-cinnamon-roll-mug-cake/

I promise you, there are some deliciously wonderful recipes out there.

Yes thanks eggs are fine. I think it's whey and lactose unfortunately that are the problem though, after trying lactose free products and the new A2 milk recommended by a consultant some time ago. I do appreciate everyone's encouragement it's been a tough struggle these past years and I really value your understanding and help.

62Rose

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
What do people think about using stevia or Agave nectar etc? I haven't tested yet but wonder if others have found that it still triggers symptoms?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find most of the sweeteners have some kind of drawback. lol.
For me:
stevia has a bitter aftertaste
xylitol has a great flavour, but is deadly poisonous to dogs, and we have two mutts
most of the brand names taste chemically
so I tend to stick to erythritol, which is a good flavour (no bitterness or sourness) but can sometimes feel cool in the mouth.
Some people love other brands, so you will probably get about 50 different opinions!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What do people think about using stevia or Agave nectar etc? I haven't tested yet but wonder if others have found that it still triggers symptoms?

I totally swerve away from all sweeteners if I can!
They are too sweet for my palette! (Yuk!)

62Rose

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi,
Any suggestions or do I need to be patient? Absolutely no bread, rice, potato passes my lips now. I'm still waking sweating about every 2 hours. I'm eating egg lattes and lo carb meals, nuts etc loads of above ground veg and not as hungry all the time, energy levels are good too. I think I'm more balanced too although I haven't been testing this week as I'm on holiday and giving myself a break. Thanks .

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like things are improving. on the energy levels, at least. and the hunger. I would hang on in there, and carry on with the reduced carbs to see if things continue to improve.

Can I ask what an 'egg latte' is? :)

And, if you are still waking sweating so frequently, then it is possible it is something other than blood glucose causing it.
Maybe check with your doc for the vitamin deficiencies that @Avocado Sevenfold mentioned above ^

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Any suggestions or do I need to be patient? Absolutely no bread, rice, potato passes my lips now. I'm still waking sweating about every 2 hours. I'm eating egg lattes and lo carb meals, nuts etc loads of above ground veg and not as hungry all the time, energy levels are good too. I think I'm more balanced too although I haven't been testing this week as I'm on holiday and giving myself a break. Thanks .

What was your glucose level when you were sweating?

Have you considered taking some virgin coconut oil?

62Rose

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Sounds like things are improving. on the energy levels, at least. and the hunger. I would hang on in there, and carry on with the reduced carbs to see if things continue to improve.

Can I ask what an 'egg latte' is? :)

And, if you are still waking sweating so frequently, then it is possible it is something other than blood glucose causing it.
Maybe check with your doc for the vitamin deficiencies that @Avocado Sevenfold mentioned above ^

Thanks @Brunneria. I found this recipe somewhere!
I egg
1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
1tbsp coconut oil
I dsp instant coffee
Boiling water (just less than mug)
Then just blend it with a hand blender and it's really satisfying. You can alter the quantities to suit tastes, I like stronger coffee.

I am seeing doc soon so will do that thanks.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LOVE the look of that egg latte recipe! Thank you. :D