Increased BM

oorbrian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been diagnosed with Type2 two years ago and started on Metformin 500 twice a day. I controlled my eating and my 3 monthly check was great all that time. For the last month I have been suffering symptoms and this morning right after breakfast my BM was 29.3. Okay I may have eaten slightly more sweet things over Christmas but not a lot. Can diabetes get worse even if you take tablets and watch your weight?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Metformin doesn't actually do that much to your blood sugars afaik, its your diet that matters.
It's not just sweet stuff that raises blood sugar it's all carbs - such as bread (white or brown), pasta, rice, potatoes.
Have you not been told to contact your diabetic nurse if your blood sugars get as high as they are? 29 is very high. If not it'd be worth ringing 111 if you are in the UK for advice, or getting an emergency appointment with your diabetic nurse/doc
Tagging @daisy1 for her useful info message which may be of some help for you.

Reactions: Prem51

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been diagnosed with Type2 two years ago and started on Metformin 500 twice a day. I controlled my eating and my 3 monthly check was great all that time. For the last month I have been suffering symptoms and this morning right after breakfast my BM was 29.3. Okay I may have eaten slightly more sweet things over Christmas but not a lot. Can diabetes get worse even if you take tablets and watch your weight?

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: You may watch your weight, but if you don't keep your eye on the amount of carbs you eat, T2 is a progressive condition. Sorry... Practically all carbs turn to glucose once ingested, (So not just the sweet stuff, but starches too... Potatoes, bread, pasta, rice, corn, anything made with wheat really, fruits save for berries, avocado, starfruit and tomato, cereals/muesli....) so even if you keep your weight down, your pancreas is still struggling and you're still growing ever more insulin resistant. Considering 10% of T2's are actually slim, and never were big or obese to begin with... But anyway, YIKES, you're HIGH! Metformin isn't going to help there. Calling 111 is a good idea, really... I'd supposed to call my doc if I go above 15 and can't get down for more than a day...

Practical stuff you can immediately implement:
Can I assume you have a meter? Test before you eat and 2 hours after the first bite. If it goes up more than 2.0 mmol/l, the meal was carbier than you could process out again. Basically, eat to your meter. (And if you don't have one, get one a.s.a.p.!)

So what can you eat without getting horrendous numbers? The good stuff: Meat, fish, poultry, eggs, above ground veggies/leafy greens, olives, cheeses, butter, cream, extra dark chocolate (85% and up), full fat greek yoghurt, nuts, that kind of thing.... Loads more on dietdoctor.com. But basically, if you start your day with some eggs with bacon, cheese, maybe some mushrooms and high meat content sausages, you'd start your day a lot better than you apparently have. Salad with a can of tuna (in oil, not brine), mayo, capers, olives, avocado, or a salad with a load of goat's cheese and a bit of vinaigrette? Or more eggs, sunny side up or as an omelet with salmon, or spinach, or sweet with erythritol, cream and cinnamon, couple of berries and coconut flakes on the side maybe? In the evenings, meat, fish or poultry with a heap of cauliflower rice with bacon and cheese (the bacon and cheese make it filling, so you don't miss the spuds/rice/pasta), something like that? Snacks? Pork scratchings, cheese, olives, bacon, cold cuts,extra dark chocolate....

Because right now you're headed straight for insulin, with numbers like that... And worse, diabetic complications you really don't want.

Please take care of yourself, and get some medical help. (And go shopping for low carb foods and a meter!)
Good luck,
Jo

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Did you test again to confirm the reading of 29+? If not then test again now and if it hasn't fallen significantly then call the NHS Advice line.

NB make sure that your hands are scrupulously clean and dry before you test.

oorbrian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My three monthly blood test for the last two years has averaged at around 50 apart from my initial one which was 120. My GP who did the check this morning has arranged the HBC1A for tomorrow and the diabetic nurse for 10 days later once results are back. I had just finished a bacon and sausage roll with a large latte when score was taken. Since diagnosis I have lost two stone and I am a regular gym user. My gp will not give me a machine as he thinks I would always be checking and he wants me to control diet rather than focus on numbers

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My three monthly blood test for the last two years has averaged at around 50 apart from my initial one which was 120. My GP who did the check this morning has arranged the HBC1A for tomorrow and the diabetic nurse for 10 days later once results are back. I had just finished a bacon and sausage roll with a large latte when score was taken. Since diagnosis I have lost two stone and I am a regular gym user. My gp will not give me a machine as he thinks I would always be checking and he wants me to control diet rather than focus on numbers

So how can you possibly tell the impact of diet if you can't measure your blood sugar numbers?
You can only see every three months?
Why not check before and after each meal as most of us who have had good success with dietary controlled T2 have done.
Unfortunately we have to self fund a meter but for me that's a small price to pay for eyes and toes.

oorbrian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am a nurse and usually check my BM at work but I have been off sick for 3 months with a totally unrelated issue. The highest I have recorded was 17 at work but it usually sits around 6/8

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm really surprised your GP didn't send you to hospital with your BG being so high. Did he check your urine for ketones?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

All our GPs and nurses spout that rubbish. It isn't to help you. It is a financial consideration. If they advocated regular testing they would be obliged to provide the meters and strips (which they used to in the old days). A meter will tell you instantly what each meal has done to your levels, giving you the chance to analyse carefully what you are eating and change things. We do have to self fund, but honestly, testing is essential if you are struggling with high numbers. You say you had a bacon and sausage roll with a large latte .... your score should have told you that food was unacceptable. Using a meter before and after eating (meals and snacks) will soon show you where you are going wrong.

oorbrian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
All our GPs and nurses spout that rubbish. It isn't to help you. It is a financial consideration. If they advocated regular testing they would be obliged to provide the meters and strips (which they used to in the old days). A meter will tell you instantly what each meal has done to your levels, giving you the chance to analyse carefully what you are eating and change things. We do have to self fund, but honestly, testing is essential if you are struggling with high numbers. You say you had a bacon and sausage roll with a large latte .... your score should have told you that food was unacceptable. Using a meter before and after eating (meals and snacks) will soon show you where you are going wrong.

I have a meter and have run out of test strips. Where is the best place to buy? It is a Verio onetouch machine

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a meter and have run out of test strips. Where is the best place to buy? It is a Verio onetouch machine

I have no experience of this meter. Perhaps you should have a Google. A quick look tells me they are sold in many places, but they do look expensive. If cost is important for you, maybe consider buying a meter with cheaper strips. If you are going to test properly you will need a lot of strips. The most commonly used meters on this forum for self funders are the TEE2 from Spirit Healthcare and the Codefree from Home Health. I use the Accu Chek Mobile which uses cassettes rather than strips, and these are extremely expensive to buy, so I get mine from eBay.

oorbrian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have no experience of this meter. Perhaps you should have a Google. A quick look tells me they are sold in many places, but they do look expensive. If cost is important for you, maybe consider buying a meter with cheaper strips. If you are going to test properly you will need a lot of strips. The most commonly used meters on this forum for self funders are the TEE2 from Spirit Healthcare and the Codefree from Home Health. I use the Accu Chek Mobile which uses cassettes rather than strips, and these are extremely expensive to buy, so I get mine from eBay.

Thank you very much for your advice. Time to take this illness seriously as I though I had it licked and my diabetic nurse only wants to see me twice a year. This morning a bit of a shock.

M

Member496333

Yes it can get worse irrespective of medication or weight. It’s a dietary disease that can only be cured with diet.

Drugs move the sugar around your body, they don’t use it for you. Weight is so closely interlinked with hormone function that it means little in this context. In fact if you go too hard you’ll melt your pancreas and begin losing weight whilst your diabetes control falls off a cliff.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would have high blood glucose if I was eating bread rolls and drinking lattes - high carb foods and sugary drinks end up as glucose in the blood.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

@oorbrian. My first Hba1c was 115 and FB was 22! Not too different. I got my Hba1c down to 36 in three months. My BG levels were down to between 5-7 throughout the day within 2 weeks! I do very very low carb and test before and two hours after meals as mentioned above I was given a meter by the doc as everything was so high and a shock but I do self find. There is absolutely no way I could have done that without testing......and the help of everyone on here. Please please get some help before damage is done.

oorbrian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I work with young offender males and the boys on insulin often have readings above the scale on meter. I tell them the possible consequences. I was shocked when my own was so high. I think that because I had been so well I have dropped my regime. Tried to buy strips from chemist today and they were £39 . Chemist refused to check.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tried to buy strips from chemist today and they were £39 . Chemist refused to check.

That is expensive. Did you tell them you are diabetic and can buy them VAT free? The pharmacist will know this.

Try the TEE2 or Codefree meters. The strips are very much cheaper, and with the Codefree there is a generous discount code if you buy in bulk.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I work with young offender males and the boys on insulin often have readings above the scale on meter. I tell them the possible consequences. I was shocked when my own was so high. I think that because I had been so well I have dropped my regime. Tried to buy strips from chemist today and they were £39 . Chemist refused to check.

Worth asking the GP or DN if you can have a meter. If you don’t ask..... I get strips from Amazon but the doc was prepared to give me some strips last time!! He is intrigued by my results.