Increased fats decreased cholesterol

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did a raft of blood tests with Medichecks a few days ago. Included in the package was a full lipid panel.

Have always been skeptical of the traditional view of cholesterol so very pleased to see that having significantly increased my fat intake over the past few months, since the last lipid panel in August, total cholesterol had dropped a full point to 6.2, HDL up by 0.1 to 2.3, LDL down a full point to 3.6 and trigs down 0.1 to 0.7. All combining to HDL/LDL ratio of 0.642 and HDL/trig ratio of 0.3.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You biohacked yourself! Reasons to be cheerful 1,2,3. Well done.

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant news @Goonergal interesting that raising fat has opposite impact on cholesterol!
Wonder too if it’s related to your weight being low and being mainly maintained - I’m hoping my LDL cholesterol settles the longer I maintain!

Sure that they will - seems that rapid weight loss pushes it up for a bit.

Reactions: jjraak

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Same here, cut on carbs, although not very low carb, upped the fats and suddenly all my lipids are well within range :)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These are some awesome numbers, @Goonergal. I'm nowhere close to your HDL numbers. Really well done.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband is not a diabetic. he does have arthritis. Since lowering his carbs and upping his fats his cholesterol has gone down, and so have his inflammation markers.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Did a raft of blood tests with Medichecks a few days ago. Included in the package was a full lipid panel.

Have always been skeptical of the traditional view of cholesterol so very pleased to see that having significantly increased my fat intake over the past few months, since the last lipid panel in August, total cholesterol had dropped a full point to 6.2, HDL up by 0.1 to 2.3, LDL down a full point to 3.6 and trigs down 0.1 to 0.7. All combining to HDL/LDL ratio of 0.642 and HDL/trig ratio of 0.3.
That's wonderful news. So pleased for you.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Sure that they will - seems that rapid weight loss pushes it up for a bit.
maybe this accounts for my slightly raised cholesterol levels. Lost about 10 lb in three weeks after diagnosis.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
I do love hopeful stories.... My cholesterol was up last test and while I have been loosing weight slowly, I cant quite work it out.... Mind you what I read on the issue there is no way I'm going to the statins as was suggested..... thanks for sharing your info,,,

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Brilliant news well done Superstar!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Don't that put a smile on your face?!

Well done, brilliant!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
oh @Goonergal

SOOO late to this post...(soz)

But hey..FANTASTIC scores and great ratios.

marvelous stuff.

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband is non diabetic but his cholesterol is bit high he loves meat n fatty things and hates carbs after reading your post we will try keto diet for his cholesterol...great success story