Indian takeaway/ any ideas?

Since being diagnosed as pre diabetic with a blood sugar reading of 6.8 at the end of October, I've been following a low GI diet and exercising 4 to 5 times a week. I bought a blood glucose tester too and have been doing regular readings. I've been managing to keep my blood sugar under 6 and thought I was doing well. I've just done a reading this morning after an 11 hour fast and it was 8.5 ! Last night I had an Indian takeaway for the first time since being diagnosed. I had one small spoonful of rice and nothing with potatoes in it. I tested myself after 2 hours of eating just to see and my reading was 6.1 which I thought was ok. Has anyone any ideas why it would be so high now after 11 hours fasting? Thank you !

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
What about drinks?

What else did you have ?

Naan Bread- is very high carb.

Are you sure your hands were clean this morning. Not wanting to patronise you but I've found if I have had an expected jump in numbers it is because I've touched something.

Cara

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks Cara,
I had a cup of tea just after the meal. I did have a mouthful of nan bread, literally, one bite of it ! I had a bit of a lamb dish, bit of chicken Korma and a bit of a king prawn dish, not a huge plate full.
I think my hands were clean, I'd just washed up but perhaps I should try it again ! ?
(The machine I've got is an SD code free monitoring system.)

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
With me l have found my body says.... "look don't bother even think of eating rice just look and l will up the glucose for you, and save you the hassle of digesting it" And that was brown basmati rice :(

Reactions: 4 people

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I've got an Sd Code free. Sometimes they can be a bit random.

Give it another go now if you haven't had anything to eat/drink. Bearing in mind if will have gone down slightly as you have been up and about longer.

Hello, yes, I've read that about rice, although how come after 2 hours after eating my BS reading was 6.1, shouldn't it have gone up higher by then if that was the case?

Hi Cara, well, I've had a cup f tea now ! Will that make a big difference? I bought the BS meter to give myself a sense of actively doing something about the pre diabtetes but I must admit I have sometimes felt it didn't always seem reflective of what I thought my BS reading would be ( if that makes sense! )

Blimey ! Just done it again and it was 5.8 ! I hope that was correct then !
Thanks for your advice Cara, I must have got something on my fingers somehow !

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I think if you get an unexpected result it's always worth a handwash and a second opinion!

The pin-prick test are just a fleeting moment in the history of what is going on.

At least you are doing something about being pre-diabetic. I just thought 'it wont happen to me'

Turns out I am not invincible !

Keep in touch

Cara

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If it was 11 hours after the meal, it may not be the meal at all. The way to test the effects of a meal are 2 hours after the meal.

When your body's glucose level drops low, as happens with fasting or indeed anyone dieting, it produces its own glucose via a process called gluconeogenesis. Otherwise healthy people can go for very many days without food at all and their BG levels will stay betwen 4 and 6. The amount that is released varies and is higher in obese people than people with a normal BMI. It will raise BG levels but your body's insulin should bring it back down.

When I get readings like this, I always take another sample from another finger. Yesterday I got a 7.5 from my middle finger which, for me, is unusual. I then took one from my index finger and it was 5.5. I then took a third from my annular and it was 5.8. Two hours later and I am in the 4s for all these fingers.

It takes just less than an hour for blood to thoroughly mix and, because of the way blood circulates, anything added to your bloodstream may or may not show up if you test for it depending on where you got the sample from.

Also, blood from capillaries is unreliable. It is OK for a quick finger prick check but it is not as reliable as the venous sample that they take for a full blood test. If you get any very odd result, test again on another finger.

I and a couple of other guys used to liken it to a sugar lump floating gently through the bloodstream slowly dissolving.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, as Yorksman says it was probably your liver doing a glycogen dump. This is known as the 'Dawn Phenomenon' and makes morning fasting tests of limited use. Stick with the results 2 hours after a meal