sea-urchin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Idleness.
I am a recently diagnosed Type 2 patient with an anxious vital interest in my blood glucose levels and soon after the diagnosis was confirmed by a blood test, I wanted to test for myself to take some control, as I was suffering drastic and continuous weight loss, fatigue and anxiety.

My urgent and necessary education in diabetes management was gained rapidly and almost enjoyably at four thorough and excellent, "Juggles" sessions ; an invaluable free service provided via the NHS in Nottingham.

The highly professional tutors made it quite clear to me that the best way to monitor and regulate BG was by regular measuring and timing of levels. These would help to guide me (with my GP) to adjust my diet, exercise and medication. I needed /need to 'juggle' diet, exercise, feeding times and BG levels to try to modulate or even out their interactions. Diet, exercise and feeding times are easy to record, and I already monitor these crudely by logging my weight daily. (My domestic electronic scales are between 4 and 8 ounces inaccurate).

There is no other way that I know, of measuring blood glucose than by a blood test, and no reliable, practical way but by a pin-prick monitor. I will never be able to monitor BG closely without it.

A complication in my case is that I have lost too much weight too rapidly and continue to do so at a frightening rate despite recent acceptable HbA1c results and eating better. To date, neither my GP nor I can tell, without sufficient BG level measurements and timings, what might be the cause. Further full scale blood tests have been initiated.

It wasn't until I tried to buy a basic needle-type BG monitor that I realised that if I wanted to get a firm grip on my vital BG data, I would also have to budget for at least 4 indicator strips per day at first, to gauge my levels over a reasonable period of, say, 30 days. After that, I would need at least 2 strips per day, probably forever. This is not remotely possible for me, as I am retired on a subsistence State Pension with Pension Credits and no other income.

I would, however, willingly afford the simpler pin-prick monitor if I could get the supplies of test strips and points on prescription after that. My G.P. dismissed my request even for a temporary loan of a monitor starter kit by saying that the NHS would not now offer me that service because I [only?] had Type 2 diabetes. Given the rising number of diabetics in the UK, this is clearly a cynical economic, policy.

I was not given opportunity during the appointment to question this policy and explain that it was the only way I would be able to recognise good and bad patterns with any certainty; what effects my diet, exercise and lifestyle had on my BG; and so amend them as indicated based on sufficient accurate current data.

Months late, and only after requesting it myself, I was given an HbA1c test and promised another one in 6 months or a year's time. Whilst for the NHS this is a cheaper method of establishing broad and medium-term changes in BG, it gives me little control over immediate symptoms and changes and no indication of what strategies or tactics I should adopt in order to control my BG levels and improve the quality of my daily life.

I also looked at the needle-less electronic monitors and concluded that they were much too expensive for me. They also seem to me, from the information I have to date, to be more complicated to use; more finicky than the needle type, and so far are not fully reliable. Users seem to need to check the accuracy of the machine periodically by the pin-prick and test strip method and they appear to be receiving lower, therefore generally more optimistic and, possibly, misleading readings, from the new technology. This immediately raises the questions, which method is the most consistently accurate and why?

My impression is that the newer technology, whilst very laudable and promising in its clinical aims , is still in development and being field- or -beta tested by those who purchase and use it. The equipment needs to be refined, perhaps by collecting data in a controlled way from a suitably large group of diabetics who use both types of monitor, then collating the resulting data and calibrating it, if practically possible, with the 'prick' method results. Alternatively, we could have 2 scales, once the electronic method proved consistently accurate within defined limits.

My guess is that, at the moment, the electronic sensor pad method, whilst more convenient in some ways and certainly less invasive, uses such a different method of capturing and measuring BG levels that strict comparison with the more direct method is not imminently possible.

I would like to know more about the way the sensor pads detect and calculate or measure BG. Does anyone have this detail information, or a route to it on line, please?

Meanwhile, I am going to ask my GP if the NHS will provide BG test strips and needles on prescription to enable continuous monitoring and adjustment of my diet and lifestyle based on accurately-measured daily fluctuations in my blood glucose levels. This is the only way for me, or anyone else, to obtain sufficient data to be able to try to control it.

Last edited:

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Many type2 s have to self fund buying meters and test strips. The code free meter and their test strips are the cheapest to buy.
I would say the only time type 2 gets a meter and test strips from their sugary are because they are on Insulin or on the drug glitz whatever.
It all boils down to the cost.
I appreciate you are on limited money, like me, my esa has just been stopped, and trying to get it back. I admit I struggled to buy the strips because of limited money. I do admit now, I now know most foods that affect me and what foods Don, t affect me. So when I eat foods that I know I am ok with, I sometime won,t test.

Reactions: dbr10 and jonbvn

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If it is any help, I found that the foods which halted or reversed my weightloss were the ones which spiked my blood glucose. I eat low carb foods, not over 10 percent carbs, and seem to be able to reduce my blood glucose to normal levels, but it does meat that, two months from diagnosis I am not eating any grains, no heavy starch vegetables and little fruit, and that low sugar.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
It was my mentioning weight loss that prompted my GP to get an HbA1C blood test done - it came back very high. I was prescribed gliclizide which is a drug that can lower BG to a level than may cause hypoglycaemia and as a consequence get my test strips and lancets on prescription. In your case @sea-urchin if you have been prescribed one of the sulphonylureas such as gliclazide you need to test and should be entitled to the supplies on the NHS. And even if you haven't been prescribed a sulphonylurea, given that neither you nor your GP has a clue as to what is causing your weight loss I think you have a very good argument for suggesting that regular monitoring of your BG and an associated record of diet would go a long way to providing evidence to support a decision as to how to best treat your problem.

Dave

Reactions: dbr10

sea-urchin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Idleness.
Dave
Many type2 s have to self fund buying meters and test strips. The code free meter and their test strips are the cheapest to buy.
I would say the only time type 2 gets a meter and test strips from their sugary are because they are on Insulin or on the drug glitz whatever.
It all boils down to the cost.
I appreciate you are on limited money, like me, my esa has just been stopped, and trying to get it back. I admit I struggled to buy the strips because of limited money. I do admit now, I now know most foods that affect me and what foods Don, t affect me. So when I eat foods that I know I am ok with, I sometime won,t test.
It was my mentioning weight loss that prompted my GP to get an HbA1C blood test done - it came back very high. I was prescribed gliclizide which is a drug that can lower BG to a level than may cause hypoglycaemia and as a consequence get my test strips and lancets on prescription. In your case @sea-urchin if you have been prescribed one of the sulphonylureas such as gliclazide you need to test and should be entitled to the supplies on the NHS. And even if you haven't been prescribed a sulphonylurea, given that neither you nor your GP has a clue as to what is causing your weight loss I think you have a very good argument for suggesting that regular monitoring of your BG and an associated record of diet would go a long way to providing evidence to support a decision as to how to best treat your problem.

Dave
Thanks for that insight and advice, Dave/ Miahara. I am waiting for results from my second HbA1c test which might highlight the cause of the continuing weight loss. I will phone my GP tomorrow (No. It's the weekend!) to try your suggestion that I do not wait for the results but insist on being given a self-testing kit. At least it should highlight their reason for not giving one if they do not. That should add to my ammunition.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that sudden inexplicable weightloss is a symptom of Type 1 rather than type 2 diabetes.
There are tests for this. Has your doctor suggested these? One is the C-Peptide test and another is the GAD test.

Reactions: dbr10

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with some of the posts that you could possibly be Late onset T1 (LADA) and not T2. I'm one of those that couldn't understand why I suddenly started to lose weight for no good reason. It happens when the body starts burning fat because it doesn't have enough insulin to burn the carbs. There are the two tests GAD and c-peptide. The former checks whether you have antibodies which is a common cause of LADA. The c-peptide checks your insulin output. Many GPs are unaware of LADA so be prepared. If your weight loss continues and your blood sugar goes up then see the GP for more medication and suggest T1. Meanwhile keep the carbs right down and have enough fats and protein to keep you happy. Yes, a meter is essential and I bought mine myself and paid for the strips before I went onto insulin; it's a wise investment and buying on the web can be cheaper.

Reactions: zand

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Meanwhile, I am going to ask my GP if the NHS will provide BG test strips and needles on prescription to enable continuous monitoring and adjustment of my diet and lifestyle based on accurately-measured daily fluctuations in my blood glucose levels. This is the only way for me, or anyone else, to obtain sufficient data to be able to try to control it.

You are absolutely right. Welcome to the fantasy world of NHS diabetes care. You are expected to monitor and control your diabetes without knowing what your blood glucose levels are. The truth is that they just expect you to get worse; and the suspicion must be that that is why they don't bother. Cost saving is more important than patient care. Of course, this idiotic attitude means that it costs more for the NHS to treat the long term complications.
Many of us use the SD codefree meter which is available from Amazon and Home Health UK. I think is has the cheapest test strips.
Good luck with getting some sense out of your doctor.

Reactions: Smiric

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm already expecting to have test strips removed when I come off Gliclazide. The stupid thing is, it makes me tempted to not push to come off, but stop taking them anyway, in order to keep getting test strips.

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Here in Scotland I can say that my GP and practice nurse have been very understanding and helpful at all times, but this is probably because of family history of diabetes.
Can't fault them in anyway