intermittent fasting

A1c8

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Has anybody had any success or tried intermittent fasting to help reduce sugar levels?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My blood sugars are in normal range, when not working. I have intermittent 24-36 hours fasting days!
Yes it helps me!

But, you do have to make sure you can first.
Some diabetics have to eat regularly.
Have a word with your GP.
If the doc says yeah! Why not?

Just keep checking your levels through it.

The first one wasn't easy, but after that it's not to bad!

Have had a 72 (80) fasting test in hospital.

Must have done about twenty this year so far!

Their is a fat fasting diet that @zand @nomistheman has done if you want their input!

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are a few topics about fasting around the forum:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...g-14-10-16-8-5-2-24-hr-fast-20-hr-fast.79549/
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/fung-vs-taylor-what-worked-for-you.86231/
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/fasting-for-type-2s.73800/

I've been following a 16/8 regime for around 8 months now and got to my lowest weight since diagnosis. My fasting BG normalised and my post prandials improved. I've now been weight stable with minor fluctuations for around 3 months.

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do the 5:2 diet, 500 calories 2 times a week. I don't know if it helps sugar levels as I am doing it alongside low carbing, so don't know what levels would have been if I had only been doing one of those. My GP is quite positive about it. It has helped with weight loss, which helps. Lost 33lbs this year.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've done it a few times, but only in the sense of missng one meal! As a T1, I like the sense of freedom it gives me, especially as, since diagnosis, I have, for some reason, always felt compelled to eat at meal times. Now, I realise I don't have to. Though I still may have to inject a bolus.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I also fast periodically, as in no-food, water/tea only for 2-5 days, and once in ketosis my BG comes down to non-diabetic levels and for a couple of days afterwards. And I have found two-days in a row of actual I.F. of just one meal a day to be good too, but the effect is not so dramatic, or long-lasting, but I hope the positive effect is cumulative. (By improving insulin sensitivity and liver function, and giving the pancreas a rest/beta cell-production a break.) It seems to work well. Only time will tell if my BG can come down into the 30-something range. (That level of health is my goal.)

I don't find IFing or fasting easy, but as I have chosen to not take medications, and want to actually get as healthy as I can be as a diabetic, I see it as an essential part of my treatment-regimen, along with my LCHF/modified Paleo W.O.E. and regular physical activity.