Introduce Yourself: Answer Some Personal Questions

Keatek

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing really.....maybe brussel sprouts! Oh yep. Here's a good one! People who treat you with contemp. The second they do, they are a lost cause and you will never be the same to them or them to you....
Greetings and salutations folks, I'm Derek and I have been diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic for the past four months or so.
I found out by accident, although diabeties type 1 and 2 are prevalent on both sides of my family. I think I was doomed to get it from the start.
But hey ho, have it and got to get on with it! so here are my answers to the original post many, many pages back!

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
My avatar is taken on my yacht and yes that is a penguin!
- What is your name?
Derek or Del
- How old are you?
43 years young
- Are you male or female?
Definetly Male!
- Which country are you from?
Scotland (Bonnie)
- Which city/area do you live in?
Oban, Argyll, West Coast.
- Are you religious?
Yes, your welcome to worship me! Only the application form to join my religion has 750 easy questions and needs your bank details!
- Pick three words to describe your personality.
Serious, happy, talkative?
- Do you have any pets?
Yes, Charlie the wonder dog!
- Microsoft or Apple?
Apple any day of the week!
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
I sail which is a sport I believe, I love watching the six nations (although having been thrashed again, I'm beginning to wonder why!)
- Do you get angry easily?
YES! but for the right reasons which include injustice and non tolerance. Sorry to shout!
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
One on each ankle, one on my back, both arms, knee. I have a nipple pierced. All strategically placed.
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
AC/DC - Regina Spector - Leonard Cohen - Falco - Eels
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
Rock
- What is your favourite flag?
Saltire
- Ever gone camping?
Yes
- Ever been in love?
Yes, far to many times.....although I'm taking a break for the moment!
- Ever used fake tan?
I'm from the West Coast of Scotland...what's a tan? Now windburn I understand.....
- Which countries have you visited?
France, Germany, Austria, Poland, Denmark, England, Ireland....Shetland
- Favourite city?
Wein (Vienna)
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
The following, Gold Diver, Gold Rush, Gotham, anything by Louie Theroux.
- List your five favourite films.
Dead Calm, Local Hero, Highlander, Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Cruel Sea.
- Are you wealthy?
Dear god no..... I wish!
- Do you work? If so, as what?
Not just now, was off ill for a long time. But am requalifying for my skippers tickets as I type!
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
Navigation, Collision Regulations, Weather, power boat instructor. Electronic and electrical engineering,
- What do you like most about yourself?
I'm happy in my skin, I can't change it. The occasional wee risk keeps the heart beating as well...
- What do you like least about yourself?
Don't suffer fools very easily....

Well I hope that puts some meat onto the bones of who I am. Just to add I have three sons in their mid teens, I'm divorced and my last serious relationship ended several months ago. Not that that matters!

On the diabetes front, as I said I was diagnosed about 4 months ago. I was just feeling awful, something wasn't right and when u take as many pain meds as I used to it has to be something to make you aware of it?
So I went to a doctor Id never been to before, my own doctor was on his hols, he ok and about a pint of blood later he told me to come back and see him in a week.
Two days later the phone went and I was asked to come see the diabetes nurse for the glucose fasting test. That confirmed my sugar levels were all over the place. And now im on a long quest of how to deal with it and to stop myself becoming more damaged internally.

I have BG count that ranges between 6 and 14 on any day. It seems to change without much input from me. I've tried control by diet. It works to a point. I seem to average a 7 most mornings after fasting overnight and after meals anything from 6 to 14. I've noticed recently that my levels are higher than they were averaging
four months ago.
I don't eat large meals, I never have. Also I have IBS (not diagnosed, just suffer) and if I eat too much my stomach goes nuts, so small meals are ideal for me dealing with that.
I was told I wasn't to test my sugar levels as being a type 2 I don't need to, basically they said it would cause me more worry than it was worth.

My question was how do I relate how I feel to the levels of sugar in my blood?
I still don't have an answer except from a smart ***** trainee nurse who attended the diabetes training course, she said "we will know you have symptoms if your brought in or you get in touch" , sadly she didn't turn up for another session at the clinic as the few choice words I had for her, it hit a nerve......
me "so I have to be brought in to the hospital in a coma, or worse so you can decide whether I've had a hyper or a hypo?"
Her "well we are in the best position to know what to do if that happened"..
Me "I'd rather it didn't happen you stu....., you want me to collapse or worse before your going to diagnose Whether I'm hypo'ing or hypering? Are you mental??"
Her "mmmmm........"
Then the girl who was leading the course very quickly tried to get us off subject.
My point is, when I was first diagnosed, I tested myself with a wee acucheck meter. I stayed around the 7-9 mark and my blood work from the hospital averaged me at 7. Now 4 months later I'm averaging 7-10 at various times of the day.
I'm due to go for my six monthly check in another couple of months and if my meter is correct I should average out around 8-9. An increase not a decrease. This can't be good?

I know these forums are huge and have a massive amount of information. I will try to read as much as I can as I'm sure many of the questions I have already been answered here. If someone can be bothered, and if it's not posted a page back! I would be interested to know this....

What happens to your pancreas when they stop working to extent they have in a type two? Can the pancreas recover if you stop eating any form of sugar except that in fruit? And finally, I love (and I mean LOVE) 7up and I can't drink it anymore for obvious reasons. Is there an alternative that doesn't taste like it's been brewed in a chemists laboratory? Or Have after tastes or any other of the evil things in it that they use to pass it off to people in our position?.

thank you for taking the time to look me over and I hopefully will see you all as I progress through the forums!
D/

Reactions: 6 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Keatek - I think that's the longest introduction I've ever read! Lol welcome along! Well done for buying your own meter, it's ridiculous being told not to, in the past I thought I've felt hypo but tested and been 9.2 so a meter definitely helps. I'd start a new thread with a rough idea of what you eat day to day and any questions you've got and people will be along to help.

Abbie - ps, what about 7UP Zero?

Reactions: 2 people

Keatek

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing really.....maybe brussel sprouts! Oh yep. Here's a good one! People who treat you with contemp. The second they do, they are a lost cause and you will never be the same to them or them to you....
Thanks for! It's a bit of an epic intro right enough! You should see my Facebook posts......why say in three words when twenty will do fine!
I've tried the 7up Zero and it's very 'sacchariny', it's not good. It's almost as though you can taste the lack of sugar and the chemicals they try to sweeten it up with....there's something out there that tastes good but I've yet to find it!
I will start that thread! D/

Grace Nsot

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
- What is your name?
startime
- How old are you? 54 years
old enough to know better
female
Nigeria
ABUJA
- Are you religious?
sort of
scatty, cheerful,vivacious
- Do you have any pets?
No
- Microsoft or Apple?
bit of both
golf ,walking
no
no
RON KENOLLY, KIRK FRANKLIN

Worship

- Ever gone camping?
yes,
- Ever been in love?
yes
- Ever used fake tan?
no
USA,UK,SOUTH AFRICA, DUBAI, THE GAMBIA
- Favourite city?
London
NCIS, Poirot, TELEMUNDU,ZEE WORLD,
- List your five favourite film
FEARLESS HEART,judge juddy,married again
- Are you wealthy?
No
Director of International OPERATIONS,legal Aid council
my personality, sense of humour
being overweight

Dreamdoctor

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya...I'm Paul....
I live in the UK....
I have been recently diagnosed with type 2 ..it's all a bit new and fresh! They're treating me with Metformin tablets.
I weighed in at 14st and I have been this weight for years.....I don't know how long I've had it, it was a coincidence I got tested by my bosses wife as a bit of fun....

meetangel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HI Paul, I was diagnosed 6 years ago, I was on Metformin for 6 months, and as I responded quickly to changing diet and following it like a new religion, I have been medication free for 5.5 years. I am in the States, so our measurement of BS is different than the UK. I am here if you need any support or please feel free to pick my brain on diet etc, it is working for me, and my A1C was very high. NIce to meet you~!

M

mrspuddleduck

- What is your name?
Sue

- How old are you?
Old enough to know better

Female

UK. Londoner with a bit of Welsh thrown in

Kent

- Are you religious?
No but definitely believe in karma

Happy Quick and Cheeky

- Do you have any pets?
Greyhound. Two cats and a goldfish

- Microsoft or Apple?
Tin cans and string - Microsoft

Does Scrabble count?

Don't do angry, slightly cross maybe!

Tat on shoulder

- List five favourite musicians/bands.
Queen, Al Green, Chris Rea, Free, George Michael

Soul, Rock

Jolly Roger

- Ever gone camping?
Oh my god no!

- Ever been in love?
I'm sure I was once.... possibly....

- Ever used fake tan?
Not that I would ever admit to

England, Wales, Scotland, France, Spain, Italy, Malta, Switzerland, Netherlands, Canaries, Norway, Margate

- Favourite city?
London closely followed by Rome

Boston Legal, Good Wife, Master Chef, Ashes to Ashes, Father Ted

Willow (my favourite ever), Some like it hot, all the Star Trek movies, Personal Services, Full Monty

- Are you wealthy?
Do you mean money? Hell no!!

Early retired on ill health

No its too boring

That I like laughing

That I ignore all those bits.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi & welcome to you all, @Grace @Nsot @Dreamdoctor @Keatek @meetangel your have all certainly come to the right place for help & support.

I can only imagine that so far to-date you have not had the usual long list of info that @daisy1 gives to all new members. She should be along soon with her list.

Neil

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypos
- What is your name?
Rosanna

- How old are you?

Female

England

Salford

- Are you religious?
Yup
Funny, bubbly, quirky

- Do you have any pets?
Yes my Rottweiler - Tifa

- Microsoft or Apple?
Apple all the way

Swimming and Zumba

Yes when in work

Feathers in my foot and cherry blossoms on my thighs
Ears pierced

Christina Aguilera
Paramore
Linkin Park
Beyoncé
Pink

Chart music

British flag

- Ever gone camping?
In my mates back garden

- Ever been in love?
Currently married so I hope so!

- Ever used fake tan?
Ugh never again

Scotland, Wales, Iceland, Ibiza, Spain

- Favourite city?
Rome

The walking Dead
Sailor Moon
Hollyoaks
GoggleBox
Forever

Frozen
Frontal destination
Fast and furious
The little mermaid
Aladdin

- Are you wealthy?
Defiantly not

I'm a customer service manager at Ladbrokes

Health and social care
Business

My personality

My appearance

Reactions: 3 people

vantru

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- What is your name?
Sandro
- How old are you?
58 y.o.
male
Italy
New York
- Are you religious?
Not interested
Accommodating, hardheaded and adventurous
- Do you have any pets?
NO
- Microsoft or Apple?
MS
Football
Nope, you need a lot of effort
none
Deep Purple - Cream - Jethro Tull - Santana - Toto
Rock hard/soft
Italian
- Ever gone camping?
yes
- Ever been in love?
Yes, once, and married her.
- Ever used fake tan?
nope
almost every country in the world
- Favourite city?
Singapore
Do not watch TV
Die Hard, Man on Fire, The man with one red shoe, The Bourne Identity, Ruthless people.
- Are you wealthy?
Definately not
Hotel and restaurant industry
Land Surveying, Architecture, Hotel School
that I can adapt to anything that happens to me
I am very impatient

Have fun!

Dreamdoctor

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HI Paul, I was diagnosed 6 years ago, I was on Metformin for 6 months, and as I responded quickly to changing diet and following it like a new religion, I have been medication free for 5.5 years. I am in the States, so our measurement of BS is different than the UK. I am here if you need any support or please feel free to pick my brain on diet etc, it is working for me, and my A1C was very high. NIce to meet you~!
Thank you for your kind reply!!!!!! I'm hoping to get the hang of this and make it second nature!!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi & welcome to you all, @Grace @Nsot @Dreamdoctor @Keatek @meetangel your have all certainly come to the right place for help & support.

I can only imagine that so far to-date you have not had the usual long list of info that @daisy1 gives to all new members. She should be along soon with her list.

Neil

@Grace @Nsot @Dreamdoctor @Keatek @meetangel

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it helpful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 140,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Reactions: 4 people

sweety84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone. Joined today. Been a type 1 diabetic for 21 years. I am 30 now. I am married and have no kids yet. I am quite a gym buddy and my hba1c is well controlled ☺

Keatek

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi there, 'hello & welcome" I'm a newbie as well, this is one of the best places for information and talking to some really switched on folk. I hope you get as much out it as I do. D/

Johnny-45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes /insulin/ sleep Apnoea / apart from that not bad lol
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- What is your name? John Baines
- How old are you? 45
- Are you male or female? Male
- Which country are you from? England
- Which city/area do you live in? Needham Market
- Are you religious? Christian
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Banter,Laugh,happy
- Do you have any pets? 3 Dogs
- Microsoft or Apple? Both
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? sports !! hmm
- Do you get angry easily? takes alot blow me
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? 10 tattoos / arms and left leg
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. i have loads of different kinds of music
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? everything with a good beat .
- What is your favourite flag? dont know !!!
- Ever gone camping? loads of times
- Ever been in love? yes
- Ever used fake tan? hmm as a joke !
- Which countries have you visited? germany,france,belgium,poland,austria,switzaland,new york, canada, alot more places in europe,!! ans usa ..
- Favourite city? to many to list
- List your five favourite TV programmes. again to many to list . even thew i dont watch alot of TV
- List your five favourite films. I have loads & loads of movies way to much to say lol
- Are you wealthy?

Have fun!

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi am Linda new to this too jus joined getting lost as to where to talk to people am type 2
Hello linda, have you been given the usual info for new posters? Welcome to the forum, please feel free to ask any q's you want, what were your bs's on being told you had t2 ?

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Johhny-45, big welcome to the forum, how you feeling? Do you test your bs's ? Are you lchf? Nice to see you here :)

steflosco36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone - I am new to the forum!

- What is your name?
Steve

- How old are you?

Male

England

Nottinghamshire

- Are you religious?
No, I'm more spiritual

- Do you have any pets?
4 cats

- Microsoft or Apple?
Microsoft

Swimming

Not really

yes, I have 3 tattoos - one on each arm at the top and one on the back of my neck

UB40, Eurythmics & Bon Jovi

I have an eclictic taste in music

Never really thought about it

- Ever gone camping?
Yes

- Ever been in love?
Of course lol

- Ever used fake tan?
Never

Italy, Germany, Holland, France, Austria, Belgium & America

- Favourite city?
Nottingham

Big Bang Theory, Once Upon a Time and many others.

There are too many to list

- Are you wealthy?
I wish!

Yes - I own an online spiritual marketplace.

Languages (both programming and spoken)

Reactions: 4 people

Bearby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll get the ball rolling on this one:

545550_10151128731001320_499062470_n.jpg

(I'm in the middle!)

- What is your name?
beth

- How old are you?

Female

United Kingdom

Northampton

- Are you religious?
No

Kind, loving, positive

- Do you have any pets?
A horse called misty

- Microsoft or Apple?
Microsoft!

Horse riding

Sometimes, it depends on blood sugars !

I have a tattoo on my foot

Any sort of pop

Pop

Australia of course

-Ever gone camping?
Yes :)

- Ever been in love?
yea :)

- Ever used fake tan?
no

Spain, France, Austria, uk, Bulgaria, Greece, Canary island.

- Favourite city?
London

eastenders, townie, Geordie shore

any films but identity theif

- Are you wealthy?
im comfortable

I am a student

I get along with everyone and don't judge until I inow someone

My diabetes