- How old are you? 54
- Are you male or female? FEMALE
- Which country are you from? ENGLAND
- Which city/area do you live in? HORSHAM
- Are you religious? NOT REALLY
- Pick three words to describe your personality. FRIENDLY, CALM, BUSY
- Do you have any pets? NO
- Microsoft or Apple? MICROSOFT
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
I LIKE WALKING, RUNNING AND GYM
- Do you get angry easily? NO
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? ONLY EARS PIERCED
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. ED SHERAN, JESS GYNNE, ZARA LARSON, ELTON JOHN, TAKE THAT
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? PROBABLY POP MUSIC
- What is your favourite flag? BRITISH
- Ever gone camping? YES, WAS A BEAVER LEADER! PREFER ELECTRICITY AND QUILTED TOILET PAPER THOUGH
- Ever been in love? YES
- Ever used fake tan? YES UNSUCCESSFULLY
- Which countries have you visited? US, AUSTRALIA, SINGAPORE, ALL GREEK ISLANDS, BALERIC ISLANDS, TENERIFE, DUBAI, FRANCE SPAIN, SURE THERE'S MORE
- Favourite city? NEW YORK
- List your five favourite TV programmes. BREAKING BAD, ANYTHING DAVID ATTENBOROUGH, NOT GOING OUT, QI, KILLING EVE
- List your five favourite films. HORRIBLE BOSSES, CRUELLA, BRIDESMAIDS, LOVE ACTUALLY, KINGSMAN
- Are you wealthy? COMFORTABLE
- Do you work? If so, as what? GP RECEPTIONIST
- List the subjects you study/have studied. ALL THE USUAL, QUITE A WHILE AGO THOUGH
- What do you like most about yourself? CURLY HAIR
- What do you like least about yourself? FAT KNEES !

Have fun![/QUOTE]

Reactions: Chipmunk71

Chipmunk71

Hello, new here... so here is my intro:
- What is your name?
Call me Alvin.
- How old are you?
Hit the 5 series this year... I am 50yo.
- Are you male or female?
Male and married.
- Which country are you from?
I am residing in Malaysia.
- Which city/area do you live in?
Kuala Lumpur, the capital city.
- Are you religious?
If it means believing in God, yes.
- Pick three words to describe your personality.
Honest, Direct and Funny.
- Do you have any pets?
A miniature Pincer and a Turtle which is really my daughters pet but she has abandon it...
- Microsoft or Apple?
Both
Badminton and occasionally Football.
- Do you get angry easily?
Not really.
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
Nope.
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
Kenny G, Kitaro, Ed Seeran, Some Canto Pop, Classical music
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
Pop and RnB
- What is your favourite flag?
Seriously? LOL... Joy is the Flag flown high...
- Ever gone camping?
Yes, but now I think I will prefer Glamping,
- Ever been in love?
Yes... and still in love too..
- Ever used fake tan?
God forbid NO!!! I am in a land of sunshine all year round!
- Which countries have you visited?
Really... Japan, Singapore, Indonesia, Slovakia, Finland, Netherlands, UK, Spain, Australia, South Korea, Hungry, Russia, Cambodia, Nepal, Thailand, China, Czechoslovakia, ... Oh dear... I can go on... BUT I have yet to visit USA, Iceland,
- Favourite city?
Tokyo
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
I seldom watch TV now a days... but I do like a good drama series.. or some comedy.. 911, Friends, Swat, MacGyver, Mandalorian...
- List your five favourite films.
The Star Wars series, Taken, The Usual Suspect was a very entertaining movie, Avatar blew my mind...
- Are you wealthy?
One has never had enough money but I am also never in want... If wealth is measured as the happiness I have in life, then yes, I am wealthy...
- Do you work? If so, as what?
I am self employed as a business consultant.
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
ACCA
- What do you like most about yourself?
How I can manage my time and balance work with family and giving back to my community.
- What do you like least about yourself?
I can procrastinate quite a bit...

Reactions: JulianneinNC

JulianneinNC

This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name?
- How old are you?
- Are you religious?
- Do you have any pets?
- Microsoft or Apple?
- Ever gone camping?
- Ever been in love?
- Ever used fake tan?
- Favourite city?
- Are you wealthy?

Have fun!

JulianneinNC

- What is your name?
Julianne
- How old are you?
Female
United States of America
- Which city/area do you live in
close to Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Are you religious?
Catholic
Shy, until you get to know me, loyal and generous
- Do you have any pets?
I have 3 cats, Fiona, Nephie and Sketchy, and a little Feist named AJ
- Microsoft or Apple?
Microsoft
I'm very klutzy and uncoordinated, so I just try to walk for exercise. I've been known to wreck a stationary bike (just kidding)
Not usually, unless someone hurts someone I care about
Just ears, 3 in left and 2 in right
Eagles, Beatles, Matchbox 20 (adore Rob Thomas), my son's bands (he's in several), Counting Crows, lots more...
I love just about everything.
Old Glory of course. Stars and Stripes Forever (no offense to anyone)
- Ever gone camping?
Hate bugs
- Ever been in love?
Married 30 years November 15th and he still gives me tickles in my tummy. Love him as much now as I did the day I married him.
- Ever used fake tan?
Ugh no
Canada, Niagara Falls. I was born in New York. I have an Aunt in France, but I don't get out much I suppose. haha
- Favourite city?
My home town, Olean NY
I don't watch much TV, I usually stream stuff. But I like Criminal Minds, Modern Family, Andy Griffith Show, lots of different stuff. I gave up on the news since you know who was elected,
- List your five favourite films. Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, A Beautiful Mind, The Sandlot, To Kill a Mockingbird
- Are you wealthy? Comfortable, but not rich unless you count being blessed.
- Do you work? If so, as what? I used to work for an orthopedic surgeon but now I am disabled due to cancer, diabetes, depression, anxiety, etc, etc.
- List the subjects you study/have studied. I love literature, mathematics, I paint with watercolors Although I've only been doing it a couple of years so I'm still a beginner,
- What do you like most about yourself? Still working on that.
- What do you like least about yourself? I've made many mistakes that I am ashamed of. Might as well put it out there...I'm a recovering alcoholic. Last drink was March 15, 2016. Still working on the shame and guilt issues. Hurt my pancreas, hence the diabetes. No sense in hiding anything, I suppose. We are here to help each other right? I hope everyone will welcome me.

Reactions: Mike d

JulianneinNC

- What is your name? Lorraine
- How old are you? Far too old these days :)
- Are you male or female? Female
- Which country are you from? UK
- Which city/area do you live in? By the sea
- Are you religious? I believe in God, write about such matters and how God is most often GENUINELY found separate to religion
- Pick three words to describe your personality. I'd let others answer that one :)
- Do you have any pets? Oh how I wish. Miss having dogs
- Microsoft or Apple? Apple
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Disabled sadly. Was athlete back in the day
- Do you get angry easily? Depends
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Too many to list
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Most genres
- Favourite city? Can't stand cities
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Hudson and Rex, Murdock Mysteries, Death in Paradise, Emmerdale (not so much now as all sex and crime) Australian cooking competitions. Far superior to UK ones
- Are you wealthy? Yes, because true riches come from understanding riches of life don't come from money, but from things far less material and superficial.
- Do you work? If so, as what? Author
Interested in what you write!

JulianneinNC

Evening everyone …well here goes
include a photo here if you wish to.
I would but I don’t know how to do it
- What is your name?
Sandy
- How old are you?
female
Uk
Wiltshire originally from Bath
- Are you religious?
No though I like to think there’s something more to this life
Scatty, GSH I need it sometimes,
- Do you have any pets?
No but I would love a cat or dog or both
- Microsoft or Apple?
Apple
Not a sporty person really
No probably a little too laid back
Just my ears for now
Inxs gun n roses, fleetwood Mac, Bowie genesis madness specials
Rock, ska

Haven’t got one

- Ever gone camping?
Nope

- Ever been in love?
Yes

- Ever used fake tan?
No

Florida x2 Jamaica, Malta, Greece x 4, Ibiza, Corfu x2 Germany Brittany
- Favourite city?
york
Google box, ghost adventures, ghost brothers, Ncis cis
Fast and the furious films, deadpool, anything actioned packed and a good comedy
- Are you wealthy?
No

I’m a home carer I look after elderly people, love my job,!

Haven’t really studied anything of late

Caring and my sense of humour
Getting old and lacking confidence and can be a little bit shy though you’d never know it
You're very pretty :)

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Debbie from Lincolnshire in the UK
Gestational diabetes in 1997,
Diet only until May this year when alc was 128
(Don’t know who scared who more me or the nurse)
Had every test going, got loads of insulin, no extra weight (5ft 4 and 48 kg)
Currently on 20mg of gliclazide and 1,000 metformin, without a little starchy carbs at every meal I hypo. Been taken off it twice this summer, can manage between 10 days and 5 weeks without it, then go into double figures,
Got a libre which I’ve had for for 84 days (estimated a1c 34)
Running puts me in double figures, peleton takes me too low to drive

Jananet

Hello. I’m Janet, I’m 72 years old and have actually been diagnosed for 2 years now although it’s only been 2 weeks since I started to take it seriously.

I was due for a hip replacement and the hospital have cancelled my op due to my BG being far too high (measuring 84 apparently)

So, it has scared me into following a plan. I’ve cut out potatoes, bread, rice and pasta and found it’s not impossible to enjoy my food without those things!

My blood monitor shows a different system to that given by the hospital but I’ve got the numbers down from over 14 to just over 8 in the last 12 days, and I’m relatively happy with that.

I look forward to finding lots of helpful information and recipes on these forums and hearing how everyone else copes with diabetes when things don’t run like clockwork (I’m sure there are times when things go sideways).

It’s good to ‘meet’ you all x

Reactions: Antje77

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hello. I’m Janet, I’m 72 years old and have actually been diagnosed for 2 years now although it’s only been 2 weeks since I started to take it seriously.

I was due for a hip replacement and the hospital have cancelled my op due to my BG being far too high (measuring 84 apparently)

So, it has scared me into following a plan. I’ve cut out potatoes, bread, rice and pasta and found it’s not impossible to enjoy my food without those things!

My blood monitor shows a different system to that given by the hospital but I’ve got the numbers down from over 14 to just over 8 in the last 12 days, and I’m relatively happy with that.

I look forward to finding lots of helpful information and recipes on these forums and hearing how everyone else copes with diabetes when things don’t run like clockwork (I’m sure there are times when things go sideways).

It’s good to ‘meet’ you all x
Hi Janet and wow you did well in just a few days so should be pleased with that! When you begin (as you seem to have ) to realise that carbs are the enemy, then you start to win the war :) xx

Last edited:

Jananet

Thank you. A lot of it is my own fault as I genuinely didn’t think much of the original diagnosis I received. Both my parents were diabetic and didn’t follow any sort of diet and I carried on the same way.
It’s frightening thinking of the many, many kilograms of chocolate I have eaten over the last couple of years
BUT I really feel motivated now. My question is that I have no gall bladder after an acute bout of pancreatitis a couple of years ago. I’m wondering if this means I’ve got little or no chance of coming off the meds - is my pancreas damaged beyond repair - no one at my GP surgery answers when I ask, just a fair bit of humming and hawing.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you. A lot of it is my own fault as I genuinely didn’t think much of the original diagnosis I received. Both my parents were diabetic and didn’t follow any sort of diet and I carried on the same way.
It’s frightening thinking of the many, many kilograms of chocolate I have eaten over the last couple of years
BUT I really feel motivated now. My question is that I have no gall bladder after an acute bout of pancreatitis a couple of years ago. I’m wondering if this means I’ve got little or no chance of coming off the meds - is my pancreas damaged beyond repair - no one at my GP surgery answers when I ask, just a fair bit of humming and hawing.
Hopefully someone on here is in the same boat and can help you there? I cannot advise having not been in your situation, but the fact you are now determined is great to know. That's what did it for me!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My question is that I have no gall bladder after an acute bout of pancreatitis a couple of years ago. I’m wondering if this means I’ve got little or no chance of coming off the meds - is my pancreas damaged beyond repair - no one at my GP surgery answers when I ask, just a fair bit of humming and hawing.
I think you'd best start a new thread with your questions, as that will reach much more people.
If your diabetes is caused by damage to your pancreas you'd have type 3C, not T2. But pancreatitis does not automatically lead to so much damage that it causes diabetes, for some it does, for others it don't.
As for coming off medication, that's wait and see. You've already seen how much difference your change in diet has made, and you've only just started!
GP's are generally not very aware of T3C. You could ask for a C-peptide test, which tells you something about the amount of insulin you produce, but as your dietary changes work so well I doubt your GP will agree to it.

What medication are you on? If you're on gliclazide, always take something sweet and your meter with you; now you've reduced the amount of carbs you eat you could go too low on that medication.

JamlessJan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name? Jan
- How old are you? 67
- Are you male or female? Female
- Which city/area do you live in? Milton Keynes
- Are you religious? I am a Christian but not in your face - live and let live
- Pick three words to describe your personality. GSOH, friendly, Sensible
- Do you have any pets? Yes a dog
- Microsoft or Apple? MS
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? None
- Do you get angry easily? Not usually, but ....
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Ears pierced
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, ELO, Moody Blues
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Rock
- What is your favourite flag? Union flag
- Ever gone camping? In a static caravan is the closest I've got, and that's far enough
- Ever been in love? Oh yes
- Ever used fake tan? Nope, always pale and interesting me
- Which countries have you visited? Belgium, Germany, Luxemburg, Austria - all donkey's years ago
- Favourite city? Don't have one
- List your five favourite TV programmes. NCIS, Vera, Call the Midwife, PogDogs, The Yorkshire vet
- List your five favourite films. PS I Love You, Fried Green Tomatoes, Great Expectations, War Horse, Leap Year
- Are you wealthy? On a pension??? I wish!
- Do you work? If so, as what? Nope. Busy doing nothing - whenever I can
- List the subjects you study/have studied. NVQ in early years care and education, OFTSTED emergency aid, fire warden, food hygiene, online child protection (think you know), Safeguarding level 3, HTML too tired to think what else (mostly child related 0 - 12)
- What do you like most about yourself? That I managed to stop smoking almost a year ago, I enjoy a giggle, I'm quick witted, I'll talk to most anyone (including myself - no fun being left out, eh), I'm a good listener. I love being a nana to my granddaughter.
- What do you like least about yourself? Lack of patience, I don't suffer fools gladly, I can be too lazy, I fail at poaching eggs....and don't ask me for a soft boiled egg either, sigh.

Suestevewil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- What is your name? Steve
- How old are you? 65
- Are you male or female? Male
- Which city/area do you live in? Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
- Are you religious? Yes
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Cantankerous determined easy going
- Do you have any pets? Yes 1 dog
- Microsoft or Apple? Both
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Watch most sports live or on TV no longer play
- Do you get angry easily? No
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? No
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Genesis Pink Floyd Elton John Adele Don Francisco
- Ever gone camping? As a child and young adult but not since married wife does not like
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have you visited? USA Germany France must be more I can’t remember
- Favourite city? Prefer countryside
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Diverse taste watch what takes fancy if no sport on
- Are you wealthy? No
- Do you work? If so, as what? Yes Driver for Royal Mail
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Computers IT
- What do you like most about yourself? Easy going

Have fun!

- What is your name?
- How old are you?
- Are you religious?
- Do you have any pets?
- Microsoft or Apple?
- Ever gone camping?
- Ever been in love?
- Ever used fake tan?
- Favourite city?
- Are you wealthy?

Have fun!

Rhomulous

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone. I've just been diagnosed with T2DM. I have medical training on the subject but daily experience..... a big fat nope. I have a learning curve that needs serious attention!

- I'm 43 years young
- Male
- English
- Suffolk
- 3 words : Kind, approachable & dependable
- I have a Cat
- I have several tattoos
- I like a variety of films, including most Disney films, Action like "Tears of the Sun", romantics like "Love Actually" and Manga like "Akira"
- I work as an EMT for the Ambulance Service

There you go. Most of my answers to the questions that are relevant

Reactions: Antje77 and coby

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hello everyone. I've just been diagnosed with T2DM. I have medical training on the subject but daily experience..... a big fat nope. I have a learning curve that needs serious attention!

- I'm 43 years young
- Male
- English
- Suffolk
- 3 words : Kind, approachable & dependable
- I have a Cat
- I have several tattoos
- I like a variety of films, including most Disney films, Action like "Tears of the Sun", romantics like "Love Actually" and Manga like "Akira"
- I work as an EMT for the Ambulance Service

There you go. Most of my answers to the questions that are relevant
Welcome Rhomulous :)

Reactions: Rhomulous

Babur Sattar

- What is your name? Babur Sattar
- How old are you? 62
- Are you male or female? Male
- Are you religious?
- Do you have any pets?
- Microsoft or Apple?
- Ever gone camping?
- Ever been in love?
- Ever used fake tan?
- Favourite city?
- Are you wealthy?

Have fun!

MadMax1968

Greetings From Australia.. I thought I’d join the forum if ok ? to gain knowledge diet lifestyle etc ..
I see my doctor in 2 weeks and will get a fasting test done as I’ve had an ongoing issue Phimosis , to see if I’m diabetic or not , and if that is causing my issue for a year now. .
i fear things like amputations a neighbour many years ago had a sore on leg didn’t heal and that happened , I know diabetes (think) Doesnt always lead to that or does it ? excuse my ignorance , But its enough to make me watch sugars too, I’m overweight and need some off me trying to right now walking etc not sure if to late though , ill know when i do the proper test from GP Fasting I’m scared however not sure how I’d cope . Which leads me to the next question is that one simple test enough to diagnose? Or is it the 3 month one. Thankyou MM.

iz1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
- What is your name? Izzy
- How old are you? In my 40s
- Are you male or female? F
- Do you have any pets? Yes Norfolk terrier
- Microsoft or Apple? Apple
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Tennis
- Do you get angry easily? Yes
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? No
- Ever gone camping? Yes
- Ever been in love? No
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have you visited? US, UK, Luxembourg, France, Belgium, Portugal, Germany, Morocco, China, Turkey
- Favourite city? New York
- Are you wealthy? Lol
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Mechanical engineering and automotive engineering University BSc degree
Have fun![/QUOTE]

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all - I have been watching the Forum since September, when I was diagnosed with T2 while in hospital for something completely different. I am so appreciative of the help and support, good sound common sense and information. I have had none of this from the medics, even the so-called diabetic specialist nurses and doctors .Luckily I'm a nutrition geek, and the information given here is top-notch.

I don't divulge unnecessary personal information on the 'net, but it doesn't mean I'm unfriendly.