Introduce Yourself: Answer Some Personal Questions

Shelleyt1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi my name is Michelle (Shelley to my friends). I am 45 years old and was diagnosed type2 3 month ago. I'm not on any meds for this, I was told by my diabetes nurse that it was nothing to worry about, but I've found myself feeling odd (more than normal for me) as soon as I eat something sweet I feel better. I can't check my bm's as she just said see you in 12 months. Please help am I being paranoid or not.

sugartoohigh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Potatoes & rice, so no problem there then :)
Michelle don't panic! I'm in the early stages of getting used to the facts.I think I'm just about over the denial,but still in shock.

If you know your current levels and you want to measure changes yourself there is lots of advise on here as to readers/devices etc.

I'm not on meds yet (hoping still that I won't have to go on them)but it may come to that in the future.I've got to wait till January until my next official check up and the nurse told me not to worry.Though my levels were very high (well IA think they are high looking online)when I got back the results of my two blood tests and unrine sample.I was told to just stick to my weight loss target.Now not hearing from them for three months isn't as long as a year in your case so if you want you can always contact them to ask for more info.Its your right to ask and expect a full answer.

Infomation or the lack of it is my biggest complaint over my issue ,so I've got them to book me in with meetings of treatment teams at the district hospital on a "information day" with the other locals who have been told they are type 2 over the last few months.Maybe your area has something similar?Wouldn't hurt to ask them.

So no I personally don't think your being paraniod your acting normally under the situation and my thoughts go out to you.Hope they can shine some light onto the situation for you soon.

Keep well,

STH :)

Shelleyt1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you STH I will try and get appt with nurse, surely she can't put me off for a whole year (or maybe she will)!!!:roll:

Sent from my LT30p using DCUK Forum mobile app

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Hi Everyone. I find the questionnaire somewhat daunting so hope it's ok if I just say.... I'm a 68 yr old Insulin dep Type 2 diabetic who was diagnosed twenty years ago, although I had gestational diabetes during my last pregnancy in the early 70s. I prefer to spend my life out of doors, walking with my dog, taking photographs and bird watching. I enjoy music, anything except rap, and love Radio 4, including The Archers, lol. I am divorced, have three children and four grandchildren and live in a little corner of South Wales.... Oh, nearly forgot, I'm a retired registered Nurse, my speciality being Paediatrics.
I hope this will do for now ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 721

daveb45

My name is Dave I am 54 years old I am 6 foot and weigh 12.35 stone, i have type 2 diabetes, like most I was diagnosed after a routine blood test approx 3 years ago, In this time the best reading I have had was 12.5 usually it is around 18.5 and as high as 22.5. This is because I am a stupid diabetic, i rarely stuck to my med(metformin) and for the last year up until a couple of weeks ago I have taken no medication at all and lived my life like I did not have diabetes. Now I am on 4 tablets of metformin a day and taking half a gliclazide twice a day.
My nurse says I have to cut down my carbs to 14 points a day but everything I look at appears to have HUGE amounts of carbs in it, i don't drink(alc) much I can go months without a drink and my job entails that I am on my feet at least 8 hours a day and I guess I cover 2-3 mile a day.
I have real problem with been a diabetic because until I was diagnosed I was feeling fine and still am now but I know I am storing up problems for the future(?) if I don't do something now.
What I would like to know is does having type 2 diabetes mean bland living.
I have also wondered that if I have a high blood/glucose reading then the blood for want of a better word is "thick" so would not taking say half a aspirin a day thin my blood and therefore reduce the reading ?
Any suggestion as to getting my levels down and carb diet much appreciated but I will have a good perusal of the forum and try to kick my **** into gear.

sugartoohigh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Potatoes & rice, so no problem there then :)
Bland living Dave?Well for me I didn't eat any potato products (so no chips,crisps,or potato added food items, etc),didn't eat rice or eat cakes.So apart from cutting out all dairy its not much different to a sober Monk I guess.

I only miss my pint of milk every morning and the couple of pints of real ale after work.But what real choice have we got? :(

Guess that temple is in for a rebuild

Ruthybombufee

My name is Ruth am 42 and live in the midlands. Married to a nut job who keeps me sane, with 2 great kids 25 and 15. Not religious unless you count being a vegan. Love my animals - dog, cat and 2 bunnies.
Pick three words to describe my personality? My bosses say if i were any more laid back i'd be asleep. My husband when i asked said "do you want a divorce". Me - stubborn.
I do swimming(which i don't really like) and Zumba which i love in an attempt to get fit. But spend most of my time watching my son play footy which i would secretly love to do myself.I don't really listen to music much any more seem to have lost interest, liked all sorts before soft/pop rock mainly. From Brian Adams to Avenge sevenfold.

I found out i was diabetic 3 weeks ago and have been trying to follow a sugar free diet since quite successfully although confused. I haven't got a clue if, how or when i should test my blood and what i should expect. For example yesterday i took an apple to eat whilst watching my son play footy (2 hours). On the way back I got stuck on the motorway for 5 hours yesterday with no food or water so when i did get to a petrol station the best i could find was a cereal bar! When we finally got home we were so hungry we had a curry and today i feel like c###! I had glucose tablets in my bag but wasn't sure if i should have used them?

Please tell me it gets easier?

cowboyhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I'm Dave, I'm 38 and live in West Oxfordshire. I'm married with 2 daughters and definitely not religious.
I am in the RAF and have done tours all over the place including Iraq and Afghanistan. I like to get out on my bike when I can but I also go to the gym (when I can be bothered!). I'm sarcastic and laid back which infuriates my wife sometimes.

I was diagnosed type 2 almost a year ago now and I am just about coming to terms with it now. I take 500mg Metformin 3 times a day and my last 2 Hb1ac readings were 5.8. I think I have been managing it reasonably well but I haven't been monitoring my glucose levels probably as an act of denial.

Anyway, I've probably bored you all senseless now so I'll sign off.

Dave

crownjools

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi im Julie, Im 55 yrs old and had type 2 diabetes for 7 years, I have never been prescribed drugs for this. back in june of this year i had my foot operated on for the 3rd time and my hbA1c was at that time 55. there was some question as to wether the surgeons would operate on because of the diabetes. I have Ischaemic heart disease and high blood pressure both of which is controlled by drugs.
last weekend i was not feeling to well and had lots of strange pins and needles all over my body and face. i asked drs to test my hbA1c as someone had said it sounded diabetes was playing up. my result came through this morning and im now 68 ...... to me that's a huge jump from 55 in 6 months!
am i right in demanding that my diabetes should be controlled with drugs.... im so worried as ive already got heart disease and high blood pressure plus high cholesterol ....... to me im getting worse but dont want to sound as if im panicking

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
crownjools said:
Hi im Julie, Im 55 yrs old and had type 2 diabetes for 7 years, I have never been prescribed drugs for this. back in june of this year i had my foot operated on for the 3rd time and my hbA1c was at that time 55. there was some question as to wether the surgeons would operate on because of the diabetes. I have Ischaemic heart disease and high blood pressure both of which is controlled by drugs.
last weekend i was not feeling to well and had lots of strange pins and needles all over my body and face. i asked drs to test my hbA1c as someone had said it sounded diabetes was playing up. my result came through this morning and im now 68 ...... to me that's a huge jump from 55 in 6 months!
am i right in demanding that my diabetes should be controlled with drugs.... im so worried as ive already got heart disease and high blood pressure plus high cholesterol ....... to me im getting worse but dont want to sound as if im panicking
Hello Julie and welcome.

What a story you have to tell, I feel so sorry for you and wish you all the best.

I'm not so sure you can demand having drugs prescribed for you however, if you have a good understanding doctor, why not go back and have a word with him/her and reveal your real concerns and worries. I'm sure that would be beneficial for you in many ways.

I'm like you in that I've heart disease, high blood pressure, and much more besides. I tend to put my faith in my doctor, so I leave
it to him to suggest when it's time for new medication, or a change to my meds, and I've plenty.

Try, in as much as you're able, not to fret too much, easy to say I know, but please do try.
When you receive more replies, and you will, they may build up your confidence.

You definitely, at least, need good sound medical advice, if only to allay your fears.

Good luck anyway.
God bless.
willie.

dilbert56

Giverny said:
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name? For the forum Dilbert 56- Anywhere else I'm Andrew
- How old are you? 35
- Are you male or female? My name is Andrew.....Thoughts?
- Which country are you from? England
- Which city/area do you live in? Near Lichfield
- Are you religious? Loosely
- Pick three words to describe your personality.Eccentric,a tad melancholic, caring - Do you have any pets? A fish but that's all.
- Microsoft or Apple? One of my five a day!!! Sorry Gates, but Windows 8 is not for laptops.
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Many
- Do you get angry easily? Only when asked too many questions
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? No thanks, it will only fall off!
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Pearl Jam, Iron Maiden, Dire Straits, The Prodigy, Jimi Hendrix
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?Rock/Blues/Electro- What is your favourite flag? White flag, I'm a coward...
- Ever gone camping? mmm-hmm
- Ever been in love? married thanx
- Ever used fake tan? Yes, looked like I'd cacked myself
- Which countries have you visited? Many
- Favourite city? Bergen, Norway
- List your five favourite TV programmes. TV is a dross fest at the moment. Liked Life on Mars- best drama in years.
- List your five favourite films. Kill Bill 1 and 2, Harry Brown, Happy Gilmore, The Green Mile, Forrest Gump.
- Are you wealthy? TOO
- Do you work? If so, as what?MANY
- List the subjects you study/have studied.QUESTIONS!!!!
- What do you like most about yourself? My patience in filling this in now. I'm at work in 5 hours and not slept!!!!!!!!! :crazy:
- What do you like least about yourself?[I'm now 35 years old-I think I look ok now but soon I'll have hairy ears and my wife will leave me :lol: :lol: ]

Have fun!

budminteal1

Hi, My name is Linda and I am married to Eric who has been Type 1 diabetic since he was 18 years and is now 50.
Eric manages his diabetes for the most part really well and I don't really have to do that much for him in that context.
He is not good at asking for help unfortunately which is why I have joined this forum so that I may ask some questions to help me to help him.
Linda

MoonComp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Hello Peeps,
What is your name?
Andy
- How old are you?
- Are you male or female?
Male
- Which country are you from?
Yorkshire (should be independent)

- Which city/area do you live in?
Strathclyde, Scotland
- Do you have any pets?
Currently petless. Have had a cat (died), 3 fish (died)

- Microsoft or Apple?
Microsoft
-
- Ever gone camping?
Used to go camping lots

- Ever been in love?
Was married
- Which countries have you visited?
Lots

- Do you work? If so, as what?
Computer Support

- What do you like least about yourself?
Diabetes

mysha1964

What is your name? MICHELLE
- How old are you? 49
- Are you male or female? Female
- Which country are you from? Australia
- Which city/area do you live in? London
- Are you religious? No
- Do you have any pets? 2 cats, 2 dogs, 6 birds
- Microsoft or Apple? MS
- Ever gone camping? Yes and I hate it
- Ever been in love? Yes and I married him
- Ever used fake tan? NO
- Which countries have you visited? Just about most of the globe, yes really
- Favourite city? Paris
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Madmen, Downtown Abby and Masters of Sex
- List the subjects you study/have studied. I have a Ph.D in finance

Brandon1*

mysha1964 said:
What is your name? Brandon
- How old are you? 10
- Are you male or female? male
- Which country are you from? Britain
- Which city/area do you live in? south wales mountain ash
- Are you religious? No
- Do you have any pets? two turtles
- Microsoft or Apple? MS
- Ever gone camping? Yes and I love it
- Which countries have you visited ? Lots
- Favourite city? Egypt
- List your five favourite TV programmes. star wars
-

Imperial

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone,

My name is Imperial and I was diagnosed as a Type 1 Insulin Dependent diabetic on 1st November of this year after suffering a severe DKA which meant I was rushed by ambulance to the ICU in hospital. I was 24 years old.

I live in Hampshire, England. I am male.

Imperial

Giverny said:
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name? Carl
- How old are you? 44
- Are you male or female? Male
- Which country are you from? England
- Which city/area do you live in? Manchester
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Laid back, careless and Borderline miserable
- Do you have any pets? Dog named fudge
- Microsoft or Apple? microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? None
- Do you get angry easily? Never get angry
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? None
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. No particular allegiance
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Gime/hip hop
- What is your favourite flag? Union jack
- Ever gone camping? Yes
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have visited? Unfortunately only mainstream europe
- Favourite city? Manchester
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Xfactor, voice, bgt, big bang theory and 8 out of ten cats
- List your five favourite films. None - films are too long to keep interest
- Are you wealthy? Not financially
- Do you work? If so, as what? Accountant
- List the subjects you study/have studied. None school and studying seem like hard work
- What do you like most about yourself? Ability to remain calm
ability to remain calm

Have fun!

Dixie_Amazon

- What is your name?
Dennise
- How old are you?
- Are you male or female?
Female
- Which country are you from?
USA
- Which city/area do you live in?
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Are you religious?
Mildly
- Do you have any pets?
Three dogs
- Microsoft or Apple?
Microsoft
- Do you get angry easily?
Are you trying to start something> :lol: NO
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
- Ever gone camping?
Yes
- Ever been in love?
Yes
- Ever used fake tan?
Yes
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
Doctor Who, NCIS, Sherlock, Elementary, Grimm
- List your five favourite films.
The Thin Man, Bringing Up Baby, Fifth Element, Gone With the Wind, The Avengers
- Are you wealthy?
No
- Do you work? If so, as what?
Homemaker
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
Formally: Geography, Anthropology and Urban Studies. Informally: Wherever Google takes me.
- What do you like most about yourself?
I am easy going and likable.
Sometimes too easy going for my own good.