Introduce Yourself: Answer Some Personal Questions

elleseum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rae, yes, I felt the same when I was told last week, but what a difference a few days makes. I was searching through the internet looking at horrendous pictures and reading frightening articles...I've stopped that and recognise I have the power to manage this and be all I can be. You are not alone and although I don't know what your disability is, I hope, in time , you'll feel positive about how you can get healthy by looking after your diet and loving your body. My energy is going into changing my lifestyle, drinking less wine, cutting down on carbs and cutting out sugar...I want to live a long, happy life and for my children to know I care enough to look after myself so that I can share happy times to come...for me, this has come as a shock too, but now I see it as a blessing in disguise and will lose weight slowly and manage this with care and Love. Let yourself grieve and when you come out the other side, make the changes you need to ...la vie est belle x x x
Thank you for giving some reassurances. It's 1:30am & I´m still churning it over & over but, thankfully, I am a proactive person so learning from yourself & others & adapting changes you´ve all had to make to help find my own balance (eventually!!) & give me back control somewhat. I'm already happy I've made the choice to join this community. I'll need it awhile in the coming us, weeks.... lifetime!

Reactions: 4 people

elleseum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi, i felt the same, it felt like the end of the world at the time (5months ago) i've learnt so much here, people will help you there are many who will give you help and support. Allow yourself to wallow then move on with it, i can only say it does get easier, my first readings were over 12, just checked now 5.4, so don't get to down. Take care Jill

elleseum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Jill. I think the scary bit is the gap between it being diagnosed so matter of factly over the phone & instructed to visit my GP asap for some kind of oral medication & whatever else. I am so in the dark about what I'll need from a medical perspective to what lifestyle changes I'll have to make further when I'm already struggling with disability. I sometimes think it gets too much & can't deal with things but something spurs us all on after wallowing in the self pity period! It's comforting that 3 kind folk on here have already responded. Living alone I need others in my life, even just through the internet. More so when everyone shares the same medical issue. So glad I came across this site already. Rae.

Reactions: 2 people

elleseum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rae. bummer isn't it. It may not be as bad as you think though.
Have a look HERE.
Some people have turned the whole thing around.
I hate porridge too, which is good as it is a grain which is bad for many of us.
Sorry to hear it is an additional condition for you.
Many thanks. I will click on your link in the morning & take in & read any advice existing diabetics can offer me right now. You're very kind to say Hi. Thank you again. Rae

elleseum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your kind words
I think that's what scares me in the immediate sense as I don't know what my readings are nor have no equipment yet to check. I guess I should prioritise getting back to my GP & getting what I'll be needing. Thank you. Rae

elleseum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rae, yes, I felt the same when I was told last week, but what a difference a few days makes. I was searching through the internet looking at horrendous pictures and reading frightening articles...I've stopped that and recognise I have the power to manage this and be all I can be. You are not alone and although I don't know what your disability is, I hope, in time , you'll feel positive about how you can get healthy by looking after your diet and loving your body. My energy is going into changing my lifestyle, drinking less wine, cutting down on carbs and cutting out sugar...I want to live a long, happy life and for my children to know I care enough to look after myself so that I can share happy times to come...for me, this has come as a shock too, but now I see it as a blessing in disguise and will lose weight slowly and manage this with care and Love. Let yourself grieve and when you come out the other side, make the changes you need to ...la vie est belle x x x
Hello MightyMacs & thank you for sharing your own recent diagnosis & how you have since already regained some normality through research & being proactive in implementing what you've learned to your own unique situation. I will get there I know. It just has to all sink in first & I guess I'll also be doing my own practical research as well as a little soul searching. Thank you kindly for sharing & your words of support & encouragement. Rae

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
- What is your name? - Phillip
- How old are you?- 49
- Are you male or female?- Male, last time I looked
- Which country are you from?- England, Great Britainshire
- Which city/area do you live in?- Salisbury
- Are you religious? - No, but thank God I'm Darwinistic
- Pick three words to describe your personality.- Young, Gifted & Black.... Oh no that's a record
- Do you have any pets?- 3 cats & a Jackapoo called Pippy
- Microsoft or Apple?- Microsoft, I'm not a lover of fruit
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?- none
- Do you get angry easily?- no, I'm so laid back I'm horizontal
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?- Tattoos on both arms & chest
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. ABC, AC/DC, Keane, NWA, Olivia Newton John
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Old Skool Hip-Hop
- What is your favourite flag?- eh ????
- Ever gone camping?- Yes many times when I was in the Army, but they called it "Going On Exercise"
- Ever been in love? - Yes, to my darling wife Mandy forever & ever
- Ever used fake tan?- no, but I have used Bisto
- Which countries have you visited?, Canada, Northern Ireland, Denmark, Norway, Germany, Cyprus
- Favourite city?- My home town of Sleaford
- List your five favourite TV programmes.- ATM "Mock The Week"
- List your five favourite films.- Xanado, Star Wars Ep V, VI, VII, Dune
- Are you wealthy?- Yes, apart from the complete lack of "lots of money"
- Do you work? If so, as what?- Chef
- List the subjects you study/have studied.- Left school at 16 to join the Army
- What do you like most about yourself?- been made redundant 4 time in my working life but never been un-employed
- What do you like least about yourself?- I don't worry about any thing, maybe that should be the answer to the above question

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
Thank you Jill. I think the scary bit is the gap between it being diagnosed so matter of factly over the phone & instructed to visit my GP asap for some kind of oral medication & whatever else. I am so in the dark about what I'll need from a medical perspective to what lifestyle changes I'll have to make further when I'm already struggling with disability. I sometimes think it gets too much & can't deal with things but something spurs us all on after wallowing in the self pity period! It's comforting that 3 kind folk on here have already responded. Living alone I need others in my life, even just through the internet. More so when everyone shares the same medical issue. So glad I came across this site already. Rae.

no one out right told me i was diabetic, i was called back for a second test, then told i was to see the diabetic nurse in a month, told she would decide what best to do with me, had no idea what to expect.
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/index.php

have a look at this site lots of info, try to get good quality sleep it will be better for you, i was awake most of the night at first, when you feel down or alone post on here, you won't be alone, so many here have raised my spirits just reading, there are so many truely good people here, so keep your chin up Jill

Mark_E

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
- What is your name? Mark

- How old are you? 50

- Are you male or female? Male

- Which county are you from?
Yokshire

- Which city/area do you live in? Harpurhey\Manchester

- Are you religious? Sometimes

- Pick three words to describe your personality.
Nutter, pessimistic, Reserved

- Do you have any pets? Dog & 2 Cats

- Microsoft

- Do you get angry easily? takes a lot to wind me up!

- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? had nipple pierced & ears but after CAT scan not replaced

- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Black Uhuru, Mungo's HiFi, Pink Floyd, The Knife, Mouse on Mars

- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Dub\Reggae

- What is your favourite flag? Stone!

- Ever gone camping? yeah

- Ever been in love? aint everyone?

- Ever used fake tan? nah

- Which countries have you visited? ROI

- Favourite city? Don't particularly have one.

- List your five favourite TV programmes. Survive That! Wheeler dealer, Hotel Inspector, Undercover Boss, Master Chef

- Are you wealthy? nah

- What do you like most about yourself? My Personality

- What do you like least about yourself? Diabetes

AlexandraMarnie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
- What is your name? Alex
- How old are you? 24
- Are you male or female? Female
- Which country are you from? England
- Which city/area do you live in? North Yorkshire
- Are you religious? In absolutely no way. Firm believer that religion is the cause of most of the worlds problems.
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Artistic, stubborn, loyal.
- Do you have any pets? No.
- Microsoft or Apple? Apple, always Apple.
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Running and swimming.
- Do you get angry easily? It depends on who it's with. There are a few people that can make me completely flip, but if it's not these people (usually my mother) then no.
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Yes - do I really have to list them?!! Oh, go on then....ear lobes x 2, cartlidge, ruk, tragus, daith heart, industrial/scaffolding, snake bites, nipple, belly and a micro dermal in my cleavage. Tattoos - heart with the word "punk" on my wrist, Russian doll type butterfly on my upper arm, ravens on my back, dropkick Murphy's skull and sword with lyrics on thigh and one running from just under my boob down onto my foot which is a design I came up with when I was obsessed with the muse song "butterflies and hurricanes"
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Red hot chili peppers, Frank Turner, Muse, Nine inch nails, kings of Leon.
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Changes everyday. But usually indie/rock/ska
- What is your favourite flag? My favourite flag? Say what?!!
- Ever gone camping? Yes.
- Ever been in love? Yes.
- Ever used fake tan? Hell no!
- Which countries have you visited? France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Belgium, Malta, Canada, Wales.
- Favourite city? Paris
- List your five favourite TV programmes. House, The Big Bang Theory, Friends, Buffy the vampire slayer, How I met your mother.
- List your five favourite films. Really? I was a film student/teacher so that's pretty much impossible for me to answer in 5.
- Are you wealthy? In a parallel universe maybe
- Do you work? If so, as what? Yes - a natural progression from a degree in tv production has led to me sitting on a checkout in sainsburys on a weekend and running a photography business during the week.
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Really? All the usual and then Media, psychology, television production, Post compulsory education. Going back to college in September to do an access to nursing course.
- What do you like most about yourself? That I brought the most amazing little boy into the world and that I'm bringing him up by myself to be intelligent, polite, funny, considerate and everything else that his "Dad" isn't.
- What do you like least about yourself? The fact that I'm the only single one left out of my group of friends.

michelle lilly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
religion, politics, DIABETES....
would like to answers these questions ect, but have nt a clue how, very new to all this sorry!

michelle lilly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
religion, politics, DIABETES....
hat is your name? Michelle
- How old are you? 47
- Are you male or female? Female
- Which city/area do you live in? from liverpool but now live in france
- Are you religious? not really.
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Artistic, stubborn, loyal.
- Do you have any pets? 3 dogs, 2 horses (well they are my teenages daughters).
- Microsoft or Apple? microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? horse riding
- Do you get angry easily? not really
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings If so, where? Yes: belly button and ears
- Tattoos - nope
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? bit of everything!
- Ever gone camping? Yes.
- Ever been in love? Yes.
- Ever used fake tan? yes
- Which countries have you visited? France, spain, sardinia, ibiza, morocco, turkey, madeira, portugal, palma, tenerife, germany, tunisia, wales, ireland, scotland.
- Favourite city? liverpool !
- List your five favourite films. moulin rouge, endless love, hot fuzz, blue lagoon, westside story, grease....
- Are you wealthy? i wish!
- Do you work? cant because of my health
- List the subjects you study/have studied : criminology, sociology, psychology, health, biology, anatomy...
- What do you like most about yourself? free spirit, honesty, loyal, what you see is what you get!
- What do you like least about yourself? moodyness, DIABETES!

trevoroq

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, My name is Trevor, I was diognosed with type 2 last week , first emotion was anger, thinking its going to disrupt my life then guilt because ive been told this was coming and did nothing about it. Next i thought ok lets sort this out, after reading some of the posts on this forum it helped me decide how to go about this.
I am on Metformin 1500 mg per day and have been on them for 3 days now no side effect apart from being a little loose , I am determined to come off them as soon as possible, I am obese and did very little excersise so have gone on a low carb diet and with excersise and have started loosing weight ( 2kilo in 3days) I am drinking loads of water and have to keep getting up to pee but its worth it if I can beat this. I was 69 yesterday and altgough my daughters told me to forget my diet for that day i didnt, you cant give in can you, we live in Ramsgate and am both retired ,although my wife is not diabetic she is joining me on the diet which helps greatly, thank you for this forum it helps so much.The thing is I am looking at this as a positive, I will finally loose the weight that the doctors have been telling me for years be fitter in the end, my heart condition will improve and i get to eat a cooked breakfast when i want ,win win all round. :joyful:

Last edited by a moderator:

jules67

This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to. maybe later
- What is your name? jules67
- How old are you? 47
- Are you male or female? f
- Which country are you from? uk
- Which city/area do you live in? lancs
- Are you religious? ish
- Pick three words to describe your personality. happy ish, chilled ish, fun ish :)
- Do you have any pets? sometimes get wild ducks (rosie & jim) visiting, no pets of my own (ahh)
- Microsoft or Apple? prefer pears
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? watching rugby
- Do you get angry easily? not really
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? not that i know of
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Fleetwood Mac, Coldplay, TRex, the Jam, Elbow, Echo & the Bunnymen, Pretenders, the Cure, Squeeze, Scissoe Sisters, Ultravox, Garry Numan, Joan Armatrading, the Carpenters (obviously depends on my mood!)
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? different
- What is your favourite flag? The Jack
- Ever gone camping? once in Girl Guides & everyone but one of the leaders & I got food poisoning - so not been for a long long time since then
- Ever been in love? dont know?
- Ever used fake tan? yes in my younger days
- Which countries have you visited? Greece islands (many) & Mainland, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Canaries.
- Favourite city? Nafplion
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Corrie, Emerdale, Question of Sport,
- List your five favourite films. The Great Escape, The Holiday, The King & I (original version) Mama Mia,
- Are you wealthy? What!!!!
- Do you work? If so, as what? I do = i help people
- List the subjects you study/have studied. all sortts
- What do you like most about yourself? i can make people laugh :)
- What do you like least about yourself? i have tinnitus :(

Have fun!

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name? Anne
- How old are you? Ooh 74
- Are you male or female?Female
- Which country are you from? UK
- Which city/area do you live in? Burgundy France
- Are you religious?no
- Pick three words to describe your personality. happy ,honest caring
- Do you have any pets?no
- Microsoft or Apple?Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? none love to walk
- Do you get angry easily?sometimes
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?no
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.Ill Divo . abba, Queen country
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?male
- What is your favourite flag? do not have one
- Ever gone camping?no
- Ever been in love? yes
- Ever used fake tan?yes
- Which countries have you visited?Usa, Italy, Singapore, Spain Malta Greece,
- Favourite city?Venice
- List your five favourite TV programmes. tricks, Grand designs, Castle, classic millionaire
- List your five favourite films .Red October, Mamma Mia, Sherlock Holmes, Chicago, independence day
- Are you wealthy?no
- Do you work? If so, as what?no
- List the subjects you study/have studied. not that I can remeber
- What do you like most about yourself?Independant,
- What do you like least about yourself?trusting people

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I am Miranda Phelps. I am a newbie in this website. I am 29 years old and a female . I am here to read stories from other people how they would be able to handle diabetes. I want to learn more for my parents.

- Which country are you from?
USA
- Which city/area do you live in?
Chandler
- Are you religious?
Yes
honest, friendly, patient
- Do you have any pets?
Yes, I love dogs
- Microsoft or Apple?
Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
Badminton
- Do you get angry easily?
No.
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
No.
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
One Direction, The Beatles, Boyce Avenue
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
pop, love song, acoustic
- What is your favourite flag?
USA
- Ever gone camping?
Yes
- Ever been in love?
Of course
- Ever used fake tan?
No
- Which countries have you visited?
Brazil
- Favourite city?
New York
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
gossip girl (though it's finished), walking dead, pretty little liars
- List your five favourite films.
Transformers, The Notebook, Fault in our stars
- Are you wealthy?
No
- Do you work? If so, as what?
Yes, I am an online seller
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
Business related subjects
- What do you like most about yourself?
I am thoughtful friend
- What do you like least about yourself?
I am not that confident.

bexh

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
h
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name?
- How old are you?
- Are you male or female?
- Which country are you from?
- Which city/area do you live in?
- Are you religious?
- Do you have any pets?
- Microsoft or Apple?
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
- Do you get angry easily?
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
- What is your favourite flag?
- Ever gone camping?
- Ever been in love?
- Ever used fake tan?
- Which countries have you visited?
- Favourite city?
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
- List your five favourite films.
- Are you wealthy?
- Do you work? If so, as what?
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
- What do you like most about yourself?
- What do you like least about yourself?

Have fun!
hello

gurninman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I've been diagnosed for about 2 years - was borderline for a good while before that
I am overweight, and am now eating much more helthily along with walking the dog four times daily , cross trainer 3 times a week and light weights
- What is your name? Dave
- How old are you? 44
- Are you male or female? Male
- Which city/area do you live in? Southampton
- Are you religious? Nope
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Smiley on outside
- Do you have any pets? A boder Collie called Finn
- Microsoft or Apple? Unix
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Rugby, motorsport
- Do you get angry easily? Nope
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Viking Dragon on my right arm
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Manic Street Preachers, Kasabian,Metallica,Green Day, Iron Maiden
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? ROCK
- What is your favourite flag? St George Cross
- Ever gone camping? Lots
- Ever been in love? yep , and still am
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have you visited? USA, Germany, France, Belgium , Netherlands, Czech Republic, Hungary, Croatia, Luxembourg, Scotland :0
- Favourite city? Boston, Ma
- List your five favourite films. Bladerunner, Empire Strikes Back, 12 angry men,The Sound of Music, The Life of Brian
- Are you wealthy? Nowhere near
- Do you work? If so, as what? Yep , technical support consultant for a software company
- List the subjects you study/have studied. All the GCE O Level stuff back in the 80s
- What do you like most about yourself? I can be really fun
- What do you like least about yourself? other times I can be withdrawn and anxious