Introduce Yourself: Answer Some Personal Questions

ParisChic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Anything fried ~ discrimination & bigotry ~ cold weather ~ unkind people ~ impoliteness
Hi Just a quick introduction, I will def answer the questions another time as they look cool

I'm Paris & I was diagnosed as prediabetic in April this year, with a Hc'thingy' test score of 45. I consider myself healthy; an ex-runner who still works out periodically, I eat healthy & I've completly cut sugar from my diet. I love walking and swimming, and my average daily steps is 14,000. I'm 50 and I've been told that it's because I'm of African Caribbean decent. I'm only 62kg and I'm 5ft 8.

I'm sad that I've been diagnosed & I'm frustrated that someone who considers themselves healthy has to deal with it, but I am slowly accepting it.

I'm on the NHS prevention programme, there are only 3 slim people on it, myself and two elderly people, everyone else is overweight, so the focus seems to be on weight-loss (which I don't want or need).

I hope to meet people who, like me, can learn to manage this without loosing loads of weight.

Sorry if I sound negative, I'm not a negative person *I promise). It's lovely to meet you all, this looks like a good forum. ✨

Attachments

• Snapchat-2036598648.jpg
    Snapchat-2036598648.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 70

Jon Cole

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name?
Jon
- How old are you?
Depends when you read this I guess... Currently 48, but come back later next month and it'll change!
- Are you male or female?
Male.
- Which country are you from?
England, UK.
- Which city/area do you live in?
Between West London and High Wycombe.
- Are you religious?
Not really. My birth certificate says CoE but I'm certainly not a regular aside from Weddings and Funerals.
- Pick three words to describe your personality.
Not sure. I guess, Honest, kind and generally calm.
- Do you have any pets?
Nope, but my close family have cats and dogs.
- Microsoft or Apple?
Mainly Microsoft, but do own some apple tech.
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
Rugby, Motorsports, Skiing, swimming and Martial Arts. I don't play as much as I'd like but I have played rugby over the years, been skiing many times (not recently) taught and trained in Martial Arts to 2nd dan Black belt, but not currently training regularly. Motorsports I do the occasional go karting, but not rich enough to do anything else and I do try to swim once a week. I'll watch most sports except football.
- Do you get angry easily?
not really, but I think diabetes has effected my moods more than I care to realised.
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
None, but never ruled out getting a tattoo. I have a few ideas but never went the whole hog.
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
I play guitar so I have a lot to choose from. Just 5 is tough. But I'll try and in no particular order.
1. Megadeth
2. The Beatles
3. The Eagles
4. Iron Maiden
5. Death
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
Rock and Metal mainly. But I will listen to a lot of thing apart from top 10 poppy nonsense.
- What is your favourite flag?
Flag?? Union Jack obviously.
- Ever gone camping?
Yes but prefer a proper bed these days.
- Ever been in love?
Yes
- Ever used fake tan?
Nope
- Which countries have you visited?
England (a given), Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Spain, Germany, France, Austria, Andorra, South Africa, Hong Kong, Belgium, Holland, USA, Canada.
- Favourite city?
It's between London, LA, NY or Toronto.
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
Dr Who, Star Trek Original, Star Trek TNG, Columbo and science documentaries on Discovery.
- List your five favourite films.
I'm a film geek so it's hard to narrow down but I'll give it a go....
1. The Adventures of Robin Hood (Errol Flynn)
2. Captain Blood (also Errol Flynn)
3. Star Wars (Original film)
4. Superman The Movie
5. Bullitt.
- Are you wealthy?
I wish. Anyone want to lend me a £1,000,000 and change?
- Do you work? If so, as what?
Yes. After a long career in the Aviation industry I'm now in the Film industry working in Accounts. If you see The Flash you'll see my name in the end credits. That was my first film back in 2021.
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
Life. Is that enough these days? Did the usual GCSEs and a couple of As
- What do you like most about yourself?
My height. Although I'm now being towered over by my 14 year old son! And I'm just over 6ft!
- What do you like least about yourself?
Getting diagnosed out of the blue with diabetes. Otherwise I'm too old to bother changing anything now!

Reactions: Prancy and Antje77

drsamrnew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The entire world. It seems that everybody is making money at the expense of everybody else. Lack of respect of one another. Total and complete disregard of science.
Hello!

I'm a 60 years old man. Type 2 Diabetes diagnosed 5 years ago, which (fortunately) lead me to the Low Carb Space.

Watched, I don't know how many hours worth of, YouTube videos of Mark Hyman, Jason Fung, David Unwin, Paul Mason, Garry Fetki, Ken D Barry, David Pulmuter, etc etc, read, I don't know how many books by, William Lee, William Davis, Ken D Barry, Mark Hyman etc etc, and got rid of Diabetes, lost 50 pounds, 8 inches from the waist, and said good bye to Arthritis.

I'm living the life I never thought was possible. All thanks to these gurus in this awesome low carb space.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent! We can share information, but you are the one who actually had to do what was necessary. And you did! Others will benefit immensely from your actions and outcome.

drsamrnew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The entire world. It seems that everybody is making money at the expense of everybody else. Lack of respect of one another. Total and complete disregard of science.
Excellent! We can share information, but you are the one who actually had to do what was necessary. And you did! Others will benefit immensely from your actions and outcome.
Sure. Life is a journey and education makes it all the more beautiful. I'm what I am because of my teachers. In school, in college, and now online. Forums, videos, podcasts, Twitter and Facebook. I usually don't follow someone blindly, read reviews. See content, hear talks then decide. So far so good, so healthy. Life's good.

Reactions: Prancy

Raaeft1

I am Rajesh Ahuja from Chandigarh India. I am male and 64 years old. I am religious. We have a German spitz puppy. He is very aggressive, and he bites us especially me, but we cannot abandon him as he is an integral part of our family. Use both Microsoft and Apple.
Yes, I get angry easily. I am retired.
I have been diagnosed with Type Two diabetes and am on Metformin.

MickOBrien

Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name? Mick O Brien
- How old are you? 67
- Are you male or female? Male
- Which country are you from? UK
- Which city/area do you live in? Sussex
- Are you religious? Not really
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Fun, Loyal and Friendly
- Do you have any pets? No
- Microsoft or Apple? Apple
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? I dont play anymore but am a massive Spurs fan
- Do you get angry easily? Yes
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? No
- List your five favourite musicians/band, Led Zeppelin, Metallica , Rammstein , AC/DC , Who
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Rock and Blues
- What is your favourite flag? Union Jack
- Ever gone camping? Long time ago
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have you visited? Too many to list here
- Favourite city? London
- List your five favourite TV programmes. none
- List your five favourite films. none
- Are you wealthy? No
- Do you work? If so, as what? Retired
- List the subjects you study/have studied. English, Maths
- What do you like most about yourself? I like to help others.
- What do you like least about yourself? My health is failing and severely affecting my quality of life

Red Alexis

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, all.
I am here as I have a strong family history of type 2 diabetes. Both grandparents, father - now deceased and a bother - also deceased and a sister. We also have haemochromatosis in the family too, though I have had the genetic testing and I have discovered that I am Hh - a carrier - therefore low risk.
Recently my GP said my HBA1c was 43 which puts me in prediabetes range. I have been here before but once managed to get it down to 36, so I am determined to do this again. Couple with this my blood pressure is raised and my eGFR is low at 58.
I suppose I really need to nail this once and for all and keep a tight reign on my diet as the combination looks like a ticking time bomb.
I am almost 62 year old (female) and I still work part time though I do have arthritis.

SeanD66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- What is your name*****Sean
- How old are you?
- Are you religious?
- Do you have any pets?
- Microsoft or Apple?
- Ever gone camping?
- Ever been in love?
- Ever used fake tan?
- Favourite city?
- Are you wealthy?

Have fun!
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- What is your name?
sean
- How old are you?
male
UK
London
- Are you religious?
No

outgoing, friendly, generous
- Do you have any pets?
yes
- Microsoft or Apple?
Apple

football, Golf
no
no

genesis, pink floyd , prefab sprout, the smiths, Simon and Garfunkel

I’ll listen to anything
none
- Ever gone camping?
yes
- Ever been in love?
yes
- Ever used fake tan?
no

lots
- Favourite city?

Amsterdam

from comedy to news

marathon man, jaws, a colour purple, T2, butterfly effect
- Are you wealthy?

no

no

none

easy going

very punctual
Have fun!

FogoVonSlack

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
2023 head shot_1547.jpg

Hi, I was recently diagnosed as prediabetic. I am male, 65 yo, generally in good health though I have been overweight for at least a decade, on the boundary between BMI overweight to obese.

I was already on a weight loss programme when I had the diagnosis (elevated HbA1C) and I have stepped it up to embracing a full Keto lifestyle and am about to start a series of sessions with a nutritionist who has the relevant experience.

I was a little bit dismayed to see that the NHS responses were: 1) read this leaflet; 2) lose some weight, 3) we can send you on a seminar and 4) see you in a year for a follow up test! But I also understand that they need to conserve resources.

Having read Peter Attia's 'Outlive' recently my goal is to grow old enjoying as much good health as the universe will allow, and do all I can to encourage myself to be healthy. I gave up drinking about 9 years ago after about 40 years of constant drinking. I hope I was lucky to enough to escape without serious damage although my liver at the time was starting to show signs of stress.

I'm hitting the gym quite hard and hope to extend my running from 2km to a bit further. My older brother (66) did a half marathon recently and there's nothing like sibling rivalry to motivate a person.

Live in Kent; no pets though I like dogs; favourite films: Young Frankenstein; Hot Fuzz; Lord of the Rings; Stardust; Guardians of the Galaxy; retired; have an MBA; wealthy enough (how much is enough?); have 2 grown up sons, one in NY. Few friends but long standing friendships. Personal philosophy: Stoic in that you can't control everything...

Keen to take charge of my own health and wellbeing and feeling positive.

Hornet1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,Just joined your diabetes forum.
I have recently been diagnosed with type2 diabetes after being admitted to hospital with an infected foot, I was hoping to get some information regarding this disease as I’m 71 yrs old and haven’t got a clue?
Thank you

• Hug

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why are the posts mostly dated 2012?
I'm guessing you started at the beginning of the thread, which was started a long time ago!
If you jump to more recent pages you'll see more recent posts. :)

I hope your foot is getting better now.

Hornet1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, unfortunately I was diagnosed with a blocked Artery had bi- pass and slowly getting better, can you or someone else on this site recommend a good Sugar free Syrup?

Toots82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey,

I've been a type 1 diabetic for nearly thirty years. Diagnosed when I was twelve after I collapsed during the 800m race at the school's sports day! That was fun! I was lucky to have a great team looking after me though and my mum really helped me get to grips with everything. I was in hospital at the same time as my friend who has CF and we had a laugh getting up to mischief on our ward, sadly they have developed diabetes but their control is exemplary! I have another friend who is type 1 also and it's always great catching up and having a vent about our day to day troubles!

Sadly for the last couple of years I've been having difficulty managing my levels and am here to look for help!

Kind thanks!

Ed

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you, unfortunately I was diagnosed with a blocked Artery had bi- pass and slowly getting better, can you or someone else on this site recommend a good Sugar free Syrup?
Glad you are improving! I‘m not in the UK, so I‘m not familiar with the syrups there. Years ago I bought store brand low sugar syrup, but I didn’t use it that often. I think you may be able to order it online.

Slayer Mum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My name is Louise.
I’m 53 from Edinburgh.
Not religious.
I’m chilled, kind ,problem solving.
I have a greyhound, a pointer /poodle (pointypoo) and 2 cats
Apple
No sports
I can get angry easily if i am on steroids but generally not
pierced ears and nose, no tattoos. I can’t choose wallpaper…
Favourite flag is the saltire
i love camping ( fair weather) with electric hook up and air beds…
I guess….
Mixed results with fake tan ( think Ross from friends)
Visited USA, Australia , Malaysia ,hong kong, Singapore,Tunisia, Morocco
France, Netherlands, Spain Greece Ireland, Belgium,Italy, Cuba, England, Wales
New York City is my favourite
I am not wealthy.
I am an ICU nurse
I studied nursing and Naturopathic nutrition
i dislike the state of my health. recent breast cancer and diabetes and a chest condition that makes my airway collapse on expiration. I can to any exertion .
i like that I am a tolerant and kind person and still alive.

123tish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't like my photos

- What is your name?
Andrea (Tish)
- How old are you? 58.5
- Are you male or female? Female
U..S.A.
California
- Are you religious?
Yes
Nuts Happy Friendly

- Do you have any pets?
5 cats

- Microsoft or Apple?
Both

- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Basketball

- Do you get angry easily? Sometimes

None

Kenny Chesney Dolly Parton Reba Alejandro Fernandez Pedro Fernandez Pepe Aguilar

Not sure

Don't know

- Ever gone camping?
Unfortunately yes

- Ever been in love?
Nope

- Ever used fake tan?
No
Mexico
- Favourite city?
None

Chocolat, don Juan de Marco

- Are you wealthy?
No
Retired

History
- What do you like most about yourself? Not sure

- What do you like least about yourself? Weight

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Just a quick introduction, I will def answer the questions another time as they look cool

I'm Paris & I was diagnosed as prediabetic in April this year, with a Hc'thingy' test score of 45. I consider myself healthy; an ex-runner who still works out periodically, I eat healthy & I've completly cut sugar from my diet. I love walking and swimming, and my average daily steps is 14,000. I'm 50 and I've been told that it's because I'm of African Caribbean decent. I'm only 62kg and I'm 5ft 8.

I'm sad that I've been diagnosed & I'm frustrated that someone who considers themselves healthy has to deal with it, but I am slowly accepting it.

I'm on the NHS prevention programme, there are only 3 slim people on it, myself and two elderly people, everyone else is overweight, so the focus seems to be on weight-loss (which I don't want or need).

I hope to meet people who, like me, can learn to manage this without loosing loads of weight.

Sorry if I sound negative, I'm not a negative person *I promise). It's lovely to meet you all, this looks like a good forum. ✨
Hi @ParisChic and welcome to the forum.
I agree that it seems unfair that you are apparently doing everything right, yet find yourself in the pre-diabetic range. Your BMI is smack in the middle of the 'normal range' at 20.7 according to the calculator I used.

Most people don't realise that often it is the diabetes that causes the weight gain, rather than the other way around, and that up to 15% of Type 2 Diabetics are/were of normal weight and certainly never fat!
I'm a T2D (in remission) and an ex TOFI(Thin Outside Fat Inside) myself.
What I think caused me to become diabetic (and very slowly but relentlessly gain weight) was eating what the NHS etc. say is 'healthy' - all this 'low fat', 'whole grain', '5 a Day' stuff which my Blood Glucose Meter unbiasedly tells me is terrible for spiking my blood glucose when I eat it.
So I question whether you are really eating healthily as opposed to following the flawed advice and so thinking that you are.

Please ask your questions in the main part of the forum and we will help you as best we can.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

- What is your name?
Andrea (Tish)
- How old are you? 58.5
- Are you male or female? Female
U..S.A.
California

- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Basketball

- Do you get angry easily? Sometimes

- What do you like most about yourself? Not sure

- What do you like least about yourself? Weight
Hi @123tish and welcome to the forum.

Please read what I said above in response to @ParisChic : Type 2 diabetes can often cause weight gain.
Also most 'diets' don't work for the majority because they still encourage us to eat the wrong food just less of it!