Is A Nutri Bullet Just A Fad?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I had a good look at one of these in our John Lewis in Sat and nearly picked one up, but my daughter-in-law just asked the question "is it an expensive fad?"

Is it?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
We've had one for a year and find it to be an excellent blender, in fact we use it as a cooking implement far more than we use it for smoothies. It depends on whether you cook...

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I had a good look at one of these in our John Lewis in Sat and nearly picked one up, but my daughter-in-law just asked the question "is it an expensive fad?"

Is it?

Yes!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
We've had one for a year and find it to be an excellent blender, in fact we use it as a cooking implement far more than we use it for smoothies. It depends on whether you cook...

Thanks. Yes, in fact I cook more than ever since my T2 diagnosis.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree that it is a fad! A good blender does the same job, for a fraction of the price.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I agree that it is a fad! A good blender does the same job, for a fraction of the price.

Thanks. I already have a blender (25 years old) and still going strong but I don't have a milling blade. So if you were trading in my old blender would you go for another blender or Nutribullet?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Is it?

Being ever the pedant; it's only a fad, if you only use it a few times, then it clutters up a worktop or cupboard.

Personally, I don't care for smoothies, so it doesn't have enormous appeal from that perspective. I had always used the various attachments for my Kenwood Chef to blend, mince and so on. Earlier in the year, I decided to have a decent food processor, for a smaller footprint, plus I really wanted a decent glass or metal spice mill. I eventually settled on another Kenwood, in the professional range. It may have been a little more than a blender or nutribullet alone, but it makes my home made coleslaw chopping or Cauli ricing exceptionally quick and easy. I'm happy I did the right thing for me.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Nosher, do you say that born out of experience?

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

I was going to be sarcastic, but I haven't got the wit!

All I believe is there is always something new on the market that is faddish, when you already have something similar in the back of the cupboard!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Thanks Nosher

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being ever the pedant; it's only a fad, if you only use it a few times, then it clutters up a worktop or cupboard.

Personally, I don't care for smoothies, so it doesn't have enormous appeal from that perspective. I had always used the various attachments for my Kenwood Chef to blend, mince and so on. Earlier in the year, I decided to have a decent food processor, for a smaller footprint, plus I really wanted a decent glass or metal spice mill. I eventually settled on another Kenwood, in the professional range. It may have been a little more than a blender or nutribullet alone, but it makes my home made coleslaw chopping or Cauli ricing exceptionally quick and easy. I'm happy I did the right thing for me.

Now that's got me thinking AndBreathe.

nelibonsai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
quacks
I wanted to buy one but did not for the following reasons.
To make flour you need to push few times with a spatula...in a nutriblender you have to remove it unscrew and do that many times....so for me it is not good at all.
Plus that I make butter from almonds , coconut desiccated, and sesame. Nutribulet is useless for that. Any blender with high power motor will do a much better job than the nutribullet.
I bought last week Omniblend, and it is the same as Vitamix but much cheaper.
But i have a old blender looking Philips which I suspect was at one time a juice extractor, or smoothy maker that does wonderful job, of the same tasks.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now that's got me thinking AndBreathe.

Expensive, cheap, I've had a variety.
It came down to the one that cleaned the easiest.

If you spend longer fishing bits out of the blender than you do blending, it's a waste of time.
If you can stick it under the tap, without worrying over what gets wet, that's my choice.

I've got an american KitchenAid mixer somewhere, it cost more than it should have done. All singing, all dancing.
It never comes out as it needs a 240/110 transformer hauling out to use, and then it's too hard to clean.

My fall back is a stick blender, that can get thrown in the dishwasher, or occasionally an old Hinari multi blender, that's a good few years old now. Cost about a tenth of the price of the KitchenAid. (admittedly, it can't mix, but then again, I'm not making cakes or bread)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks all !!

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. I already have a blender (25 years old) and still going strong but I don't have a milling blade. So if you were trading in my old blender would you go for another blender or Nutribullet?

Possibly look for a food processor or blender that has the blades your looking for. Each one has a different assortment of blades.

What I have is a food processor (inherited from my mother, can't remember how old it is), a cheap blender bought from Asda (15 quid if I remember correctly) and a juicer a friend gave me. I don't need anything else. Hand bladders are ok, but not great in my experience, I prefer my blender, which sits permanently on my kitchen counter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say that absolutely anything can be a fad.
Been through many of them myself. lol.
But they all come in useful because they add to your repertoire.

We have a killer blender on the counter. Use it regularly. Think it is wonderful. Bless the day I fell for the glorious sales pitch. Think it is marvellous.

And if it ever dies (please no!) I would probably go for a Bullet style blender as a replacement. Slightly more limiting, but a good buy nevertheless.

But, of course, it only justifies itself if you use it.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Anything with 'Nutri-' at the beginning of the name was always going to be a fad.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh folks my wife says "you're a marketers wet dream" ....gone and bought a Nutribullet pro......sucker....I know, I know :)

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
We picked one up in the January sales, it's been used everyday since, both for fruit and green smoothies, so it really has been a great investment, but as others have said its only going to be a fad if you don't use it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh, @KevinPotts

Just thought of a use for your Bullet which will guarantee that it never languishes - use it to make garden fertiliser.

You just throw in all your veg and fruit peelings, with water, blitz them to a runny soup, and tip around your plants. Works like a charm. Creates a kind of thin mulch AND breaks down 10x faster than a compost heap.