Is a small amount of carbohydrates equivalent to low carbohydrates

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I have half a muffin in the morning and usually a cottage cheese/carrot salad or soup for lunch, and maybe fish or quiche, bean/lentil type suppers with small amounts of crackers/cheese through the day. I abide by my meter numbers to stay in a safe range. I am wondering if a small amount of carbs, is just as good as a regular amount, and if not, why are they bad in general.
Thank you for any information on this question.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Depends what your beliefs are, especially after educating yourself, and if you are attempting specific goals. The way I eat is based on nutrition with a cross over of enjoyment, satiety and performance supporting.

I couldn't do half of something with my current mindset. I do see carbs as a luxury item propping up many metabolic issues, but if you can control them that's a choice which is just as valid.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your diet as you describe it seems to be quite carb-heavy and one might normally expect a strong response to the carbs in muffins, pastry, beans and lentils, higher carb veg like carrots, crackers…. I know if I ate those things my BG would definitely spike after each meal, but lucky you if yours are ok! :)

But there are other aspects of low-carb eating that you might want to consider, mainly around aiming to reduce insulin-resistance by giving your body a break from pumping out insulin. To this end, many of us ensure that we eat sufficient at mealtimes to ensure we have no need to snack during the day, and restrict our eating to one, two or three meals a day, often within a more limited time window so we fast for a longer period each day.

I also find carbs to be addictive and if I eat the sort of carbs you describe, I would start craving them again. As it is I do not have any food cravings at all, very freeing!

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Your diet as you describe it seems to be quite carb-heavy and one might normally expect a strong response to the carbs in muffins, pastry, beans and lentils, higher carb veg like carrots, crackers…. I know if I ate those things my BG would definitely spike after each meal, but lucky you if yours are ok! :)

But there are other aspects of low-carb eating that you might want to consider, mainly around aiming to reduce insulin-resistance by giving your body a break from pumping out insulin. To this end, many of us ensure that we eat sufficient at mealtimes to ensure we have no need to snack during the day, and restrict our eating to one, two or three meals a day, often within a more limited time window so we fast for a longer period each day.

I also find carbs to be addictive and if I eat the sort of carbs you describe, I would start craving them again. As it is I do not have any food cravings at all, very freeing!
Thank you TeddyTottie and Mbaker: I appreciate the feedback that I am taking a heavy carb diet. It's just that carbs seem so good at avoiding hypos. BTW, paradoxically I lowered my insulin a few numbers these past few days, due to a sense of anxiety, night time awekenings in hunger, and sweats/hypos at night, and I find that my numbers have not only improved but lowered; other factors unknown.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you TeddyTottie and Mbaker: I appreciate the feedback that I am taking a heavy carb diet. It's just that carbs seem so good at avoiding hypos. BTW, paradoxically I lowered my insulin a few numbers these past few days, due to a sense of anxiety, night time awekenings in hunger, and sweats/hypos at night, and I find that my numbers have not only improved but lowered; other factors unknown.
I’m sorry, I didn’t appreciate that you use insulin. My comments may only be applicable for those T2s who manage their diabetes without insulin.

However I would be discussing with my doctor, if I suffered from hypos - I have never understood the rationale to eat carbs to increase BG so that insulin can then lower it. Seems totally wrong thinking to me!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have half a muffin in the morning and usually a cottage cheese/carrot salad or soup for lunch, and maybe fish or quiche, bean/lentil type suppers with small amounts of crackers/cheese through the day. I abide by my meter numbers to stay in a safe range. I am wondering if a small amount of carbs, is just as good as a regular amount, and if not, why are they bad in general.
Thank you for any information on this question.

Hi @Erin ,

From one insulin user to another. If you are getting stable healthy parameter BGs doing what you are doing?
& feel happier in yourself with the dosage tweaks?
Then it works... :)

What insulin/s are you prescribed??

Reactions: EllieM

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Erin ,

From one insulin user to another. If you are getting stable healthy parameter BGs doing what you are doing?
& feel happier in yourself with the dosage tweaks?
Then it works... :)

What insulin/s are you prescribed??
Humulin N, used to fluctuate 40-44 under some circumstances, but now (maybe losing weight) OK at 32-34. I don't have much diabetes care from my hospital so I rely on the net and our site.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Humulin N, used to fluctuate 40-44 under some circumstances, but now (maybe losing weight) OK at 32-34. I don't have much diabetes care from my hospital so I rely on the net and our site.

Hello,

Doing a quick conversion to the "imperial" measurements in the UK. (Where I'm based.) is that the lows you are having now/recently?
Or is this your HbA1c?

(Sorry, been a long day with me.)

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello,

Doing a quick conversion to the "imperial" measurements in the UK. (Where I'm based.) is that the lows you are having now/recently?
Or is this your HbA1c?

(Sorry, been a long day with me.)
Mostly; I have had a drastic change in my meds, some increase in activity, but I think it is the switch from on med regimen to another. My case is a bit too complicated for a GP I think. I was "saved" by a referral to a psychiatrist from w/d to appropriate new drugs; long story, sorry.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mostly; I have had a drastic change in my meds, some increase in activity, but I think it is the switch from on med regimen to another. My case is a bit too complicated for a GP I think. I was "saved" by a referral to a psychiatrist from w/d to appropriate new drugs; long story, sorry.

No worries, met ears are always open. However, (forum rules too.) I couldn't possibly entertain any recommendation with dosage adjustment.
You need an endo with some idea on requirements fo you, with insulin...

I can from experience say, Any change in activity may affect insulin response & sensitivity regarding it's working profile.
Which is where you need to be carful with any lows catching you out..

Please be very carful.