JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes as long as you keep it well contained and locked away.

Reactions: Jaylee

Dark Horse

According to Wikipedia, "Aspartame has been found to be safe for human consumption by more than ninety countries worldwide." American conspiracy theorists like to ignore the world outside the USA because it's more difficult to believe that there is corruption and cover-up in every country that approves its use.

A recent study in Sweden found an association between diet drinks and diabetes risk but the nature of the study could not show whether or not diet drinks caused diabetes:- http://www.nhs.uk/news/2016/10Octob...ding-diet-drinks-may-raise-diabetes-risk.aspx

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There is one thing did all those ninety countries do their own independent research or did they base their approval on science and studies already carried out.

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
If your risk averse then no its not. I like sugar free drinks especially vodka and coke and gin and slimline...been drinking them for decades....I don't see myself stopping any time soon. cheers

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Was the coke you had with your vodka sugar free, slimline has quinine in it so definitely no good for me I have MG, because you have been OK doesn't mean it's OK for all.

Oh forgot to add cheers. :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Again sorry no links!
However, having read copious amounts of research papers on what is good or bad (most things!) I came across a couple of new research that says aspartame tolerance is a new condition found in many students, that have drunk copious amounts of soda drinks. As always, in minute amounts it's harmless, too much, not good.
In another research paper aspartame is decried as just as bad as sugar for hypers in some people!
Again, it depends on what you can tolerate!

Reactions: Freema

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
Was the coke you had with your vodka sugar free, slimline has quinine in it so definitely no good for me I have MG, because you have been OK doesn't mean it's OK for all.

I didn't say anywhere in my post that it was OK. and seeing as it's not OK for you then you would be wise not to drink it. I however like to get rip roaring drunk and sugar free drinks help with that. I also made reference to 'risk averse' suggesting there may be some risk but maybe the subtlety of my comment was missed on your 'quick to respond' post. I believe I am allowed to bring a view or fact to this post and please do not put words in my mouth.

Oh and bottoms up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

G.D. Searle's attempts to get FDA approval are well documented, and not by conspiracy theorists. The fact that they did get FDA approval after Ronald Reagan became president and appointed his buddy as director of the FDA doesn't mean there was anything suspicious going on, does there? Nor the fact that his buddy went on to take up a senior position in the company that marketed aspartame isn't a problem.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Everyone makes up their own mind on this, but really, no one should be assuming that by taking in synthetic ingredients they are harmless. Even if 50 studies say it is safe within the context of the studies, it is no guarantee that the same chemical is safe over a lifetime.

And, of course, the same can be said about Real Foods too. There are slow working toxins everywhere, from nicotine and caffeine to alcohol and, of course sugar. Heck, excessive amounts of leafy green vegetables can be harmful!

We all make our own choices, don't we? And then we live with the consequences.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The amount used in tablets for coffee, tea etc should be very low risk (if any) but those drinking litres of diet soft-drinks would in theory have an increased risk. Remember, avoid rhubarb, horseradish and green potatoes if you want to avoid some natural poisons. Life's a risk!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Horses for courses...
Absolutely garlic normally great and boosts immune system but if you have an auto immune disease not so good spinach fantastic but if your taking calcium supplements then avoid within two hours of taking the supplement there are pros and cons to everything I drink diet coke but in moderation.

But what I never drink is tap water in the area where I live.

M

mist

I don't think Coke is the problem here..it cracks me up when people bang on about the risk of Coke, aspartame..etc

When these same people poison their bodies with alcohol. Smacks of irony to me :D

Your a hell of a lot better off putting aspartame into your body than you are alcohol that's for sure.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since Aspartame was a spinoff from a research lab trying to produce a more efficient way of killing ants, then I am wary of Aspatame.

There is a group of prople for whom Aspartame represents real and present danger, Phenylanaline can be a killer for some. and vending machines have to carry a warning to this effect by law, However, it does not cover soft drinks sold to the public, and I cannot remember seeing it on a drinks can as dispensed by said machines. Ot a bar informing me of this when i buy my diet soda.or chaser,

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Although not a fan myself, I'm aware of different stories explaining how it came about. The one I was aware of first (I shared a house with several G.D. Searle chemists back in the late 70s, early 80s) was that G.D. Searle were manufacturing it as an additive for cow feed and that somebody noticed a sweet taste in the air of the factory.
The next story was that it was an anti cancer drug which might have an element of truth because G.D. Searle R&D (High Wycombe) would make a compound and then see what it was good for. They developed Interferon that way.
Then I heard it was an drug for ulcers and now something for killing ants. Their main R&D was Skokie near Chicago.
In reality it probably doesn't matter because the facts are just as interesting, it failed to get FDA approval for several years then it did get approval.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
what's your poison mist? :)

I very seldom drink alcohol and when I do, I never adulterate it with coke or the like.

Dark Horse

Since Aspartame was a spinoff from a research lab trying to produce a more efficient way of killing ants, then I am wary of Aspatame.

There is a group of prople for whom Aspartame represents real and present danger, Phenylanaline can be a killer for some. and vending machines have to carry a warning to this effect by law, However, it does not cover soft drinks sold to the public, and I cannot remember seeing it on a drinks can as dispensed by said machines. Ot a bar informing me of this when i buy my diet soda.or chaser,
Aspartame basically consists of 2 amino-acids linked together, namely aspartic acid and phenylalanine. The intake of these amino acids from dietary protein is much greater than from aspartame. The condition where individuals should avoid aspartame due to the phenylalanine content is called PKU (phenylketonuria). Affected children need to follow a low-protein diet until at least adulthood to prevent high phenylalanine levels from damaging the brain. Although it is very rare, every baby in the UK is tested for PKU soon after birth so I would imagine that everyone with the condition would be aware that they need to avoid aspartame.

Reactions: qe5rt and Salvia

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aspartame basically consists of 2 amino-acids linked together, namely aspartic acid and phenylalanine. The intake of these amino acids from dietary protein is much greater than from aspartame. The condition where individuals should avoid aspartame due to the phenylalanine content is called PKU (phenylketonuria). Affected children need to follow a low-protein diet until at least adulthood to prevent high phenylalanine levels from damaging the brain. Although it is very rare, every baby in the UK is tested for PKU soon after birth so I would imagine that everyone with the condition would be aware that they need to avoid aspartame.
apparently Asparate is also believed to be a testosterone booster, and is sold as a supplement in its own right. Sorry Ladies, sounds like this is a good reason for you to avoid this sweetner??????

K9ddo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Asarpartame has had more research than any other sweetener the amount you would need to consume before there's a risk is enormous