jettcrash11

I have insulin resistance. I am not on any medication. Below I have posted my diet/what I eat in a day. In the past 3 weeks I have lost 7 pounds doing this. However in the past week I didn't lose anything. Is there anything you would change or add for more weight loss results.

I fast until 2 pm so I don't eat breakfast.

At 2
small piece of dark chocolate for a snack, a boiled egg, and a handful of berries

At 4:30
I eat a salad with grilled chicken (seven strips of it or so), low carb ranch (under 6 carbs) and a half an avocado. Then with it I have a Atkins protein shake (1 carb) (15 grams of protein)

At 8
I eat a sandwich of some kind on one slice of bread.

For desert I eat a small piece of dark chocolate again.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
First thing I would do is ditch the Atkins frankenfood shake.
I'd try to put my sandwich fillings on a big piece of lettuce instead of bread.
I'd also add some more healthy fats like the other half avocado, a good mayo on the egg, olive oil, a few nuts.
Any other veggies than salad?

Carbs and protein birth spike insulin, fat does not. You probably need to lower your insulin levels. Carbs look good except the bread. That spikes lots of us.

How are you blood sugar levels? Exercise , even slow to moderate walks are good for lowering insulin. You don't need to run a marathon.

These are just what I see.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not enough food and certainly not adequate fat.. you appear to be going low carb and low cal which is a recipe for hunger and I'm afraid likely failure..

jettcrash11

First thing I would do is ditch the Atkins frankenfood shake.
I'd try to put my sandwich fillings on a big piece of lettuce instead of bread.
I'd also add some more healthy fats like the other half avocado, a good mayo on the egg, olive oil, a few nuts.
Any other veggies than salad?

Carbs and protein birth spike insulin, fat does not. You probably need to lower your insulin levels. Carbs look good except the bread. That spikes lots of us.

How are you blood sugar levels? Exercise , even slow to moderate walks are good for lowering insulin. You don't need to run a marathon.

These are just what I see.
whats wrong with the atkins shake?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
what would you add for fats that I could eat in a food source?
Cheese, maybe some eggs cooked in butter. The high fat element of the diet is to provide satiety so we don't get hungry.. without it it's much harder. Is your chicken breast or thigh? Go for higher fat content meat. Shakes aren't great it's better to get nutrition from real food rather than "fake food".

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd recommend that you try a low carb diet such as Atkins to achieve both weightloss and normalisation of insulin response. You will have to give up high carb foods and accept that fat is not the enemy, but you do get to eat well and usually people find that they have more energy and feel great as they lose weight.
I recommend the Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, but have nothing to do with the Atkins Corporation products or publications - eat real foods.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
As you have stated you have insulin resistance I would cut the 3 meals to 2 to cut down the insulin requirement by a third. I would make the second meal my last add some tasty vegetables and some nuts, followed by a brisk walk and possibly 5 minutes of non-rest resistance training - this should keep you full with good nutrients and fibre and quality fats, whilst improving your general fitness without taking too much time.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
whats wrong with the atkins shake?
Ingredients are not real foods. Artificial sweeteners and all kinds of nasties that store fat and promote insulin resistance.

As stated eat real food. One ingredient. Turkey salmon tuna chicken egg lettuce broccoli caulifower. Sea salt as a second and only ingredient in canned foods is ok too.

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
what would you add for fats that I could eat in a food source?
Avocados, coconut oil (I keep a big jar in the refrigerator & cut off a chunk & eat like candy) & grass fed good irish butter. I'd also ditch the bread.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ohhhhh. Love Irish butter and Australian lamb!!! Coconut oil doesn't work for me sadly but there aren't enough avocados for me. At least one a day and the bigger the better. It's my main fat source. Then macadamia nuts as snacks.