Is this forum proving useful?

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
After a bit of confusion in the first couple of days, I hope it is now clear that this forum is a space for people who do not low-carb to discuss freely. The moderation team have been instructed to let this forum grow without restricting discussion. Normal rules apply, of course, and I will police for this and delete windups or timewasters.

However, is this forum proving useful? How could it be changed for the better?

Fuggsy

Dislikes
Being preached at about low carbing
Is it a good idea to have moderators on this sub forum who are blatantly anti high carb?

Esp when they go onto the other forum and poke fun at those of us who don't follow the Bernstein Bible.

Fuggsy

Dislikes
Being preached at about low carbing
Have you looked at some of the posts in the low carb forum?

It doesn't take rocket science to work out what I am talking about.

But we aren't allowed to challenge things without our posts being deleted.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I think (hope?) the situation has improved, but IMHO there's a classic conflict of interest going on when moderators are allowed to actually participate in discussions. But that comment is not restricted to this little subsection of the forum. Sit back and observe, then step in only when necessary. That's why conflict resolution tends to work best when a third party is brought in.

mullaneder

Dislikes
bullies, bad drivers ,recession,
i think its definatly a good solution but i hope that a them and us isnt starting

cjohnson

Dislikes
Spiders and other similar creepy crawlies
I agree with mullaneder - useful to have our own space but don't want us and them happening :)

CJ

deadwood2

Administrator said:
However, is this forum proving useful?

Not really, no. I'm sure others will like it, though. Personal thing, I'm sure.

Administrator said:
How could it be changed for the better?

Being able to "resign" (i.e. having once seen it in the forum list, untick to not see it again until you chose to) it (and others) would be useful. I thought that was a standard phpBB feature?..

davenol2

deadwood2 said:
Administrator said:
However, is this forum proving useful?

Not really, no. I'm sure others will like it, though. Personal thing, I'm sure.

Administrator said:
How could it be changed for the better?

Being able to "resign" (i.e. having once seen it in the forum list, untick to not see it again until you chose to) it (and others) would be useful. I thought that was a standard phpBB feature?..

i must assume from the manner of your posting that you would prefer not to see this forum that you are a low carber who is against the alternatives to low carbing. If this is the case then you should not be posting in here and i would draw your attentiong to dans notice that if you low carb u do not post in the non low carb forum

candy1567

Hi

Oh boy its starting again isn't it, the 'them and us'

It must be so difficult for admin and the mods as they must hav splinters up their bum for sitting on the fence, they cant do right for doing wrong!!!!

Why cant we all agree to disagree for gods sake, i for one am totally getting p*****off at it all, this isn't what i signed up to.

Its no longer about helping eachother live a better life dealing with diabetes

the tinternet is a very big place and think i will start to look for support elsewhere instead of having all this endless bickering its becoming very tedious

Juliexx

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
Yes i think this forum will be useful,i think we should agree to disagree and get on with things the best way we can after all we are one way or another Diabetic no mater how we handle it, :) ,shan x

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
* throws hands up in resignation

Thirsty

Dan, don't despair!!

It's my experience that the vast majority of posters here are genuinely pleasant people who only want to help others. I can kind of understand why some who've had success with low-carbing feel the need to spread the word, but they do seem a bit like Jehovah's Witnesses waking you up on a Saturday Morning sometimes!

Seriously, I'm truly happy for anyone whose managing the condition well, whatever approach they take. That's the only important thing, surely?

Spiral

Administrator said:
* throws hands up in resignation

*mops the administrators brow with a damp copy of the boards agreement*

Sometimes, you just have to accept that some poeple like a bit of an argument. It keeps them off the streets. I'd let them get on with it... within the bouds of good behaviour of course.

The problem with boards is that once it is written down, and people start reading from the top, they don't necessarily get to the end before they feel the need to jump in with an opinion :? whatever might be written later in the discussion.

And once it is written down it becomes very, very real. And you don't seem to be able to change your mind, because someone will always find that quote of something you said before you had your eureka moment on whatever issue it is about. I think online boards just make people behave mre like people, and sometimes people behave badly :?

I used to mod another (non-health realted) board until I decided I didn't have the time for the petty arguments and sensitive egos. I joined because it was fun, I began to mod because I wanted to put something in to a community that I'd gotten a lot out of. Why shouldn't moderators join in, I bet they are not receiving any kind of payment to moderate and an awful lot of angst at times, based on my own experience. We went over to anonymous moderation, but it was dead easy to tell who was who, becuase of thier individual writing style :? and slipping from profile to profile was a but of a pain.

Whatever you do, you won't please everyone.

TheTartanPimpernel

For what it is worth I consider that creating this forum was unnecessary. On the other hand I welcomed the bit of stable cleaning that removed a few of the 'nastier' zealots who all too often became embroiled in nothing more than undisguised personal attack.

I also think setting out rules regarding who can or cannot legitimately post on what forum is detrimental and has potential dangers. If, for example, something is posted on a forum which some (no matter from whatever 'leaning') believe to be incorrect or there is nothing other than anecdotal evidence to support it, it is in my view entirely correct to draw attention to the fact or for that matter to challenge what is written. Otherwise you develop quickly into a mutual adulation society which helps no-one. I also concur with the view expressed above that some 'moderators' do appear to lend excessive weight in support of some posts/posters. The post following Fuggsy could be considered by some as aggressive, as could the avatar used. There are other examples. I am cautious, however, because my friend Buachaille was banned for, in my view, expressing more moderate opinions a week or so ago.

I don't low carb and I don't count carbs but I have managed my numbers down, as have other members of this household mainly by fairly rigorous portion control. As it happens, yesterday the only visible carbs I consumed comprised one medium sized Jersey Royal and two small slices of bread – but I call that portion control not concious low carbing. Of the 5 diabetics in the house I alone do not eat pasta but I do have one potato (boiled or chipped or occasionally baked) or a serving spoon of rice or couscous or barley or whatever. I cannot imagine living on Planet Bernstein and see no need to be so 'obsessive'. Moderation seems to have benefits. The engineer in Bernstein shows, and in my view is probably responsible for switching more thinking diabetics off – diabetics should not be treated as machines or systems.

I have never tested more than twice a day and see no real need for T2s to do so. I started with a very high Hba1c which is now regularly between 5.0 and 5.5. I, as do others in the household except the individual T2 who requires insulin, now test only twice a week on two mornings. For a considerable of number of months I have never been higher than 6.1 and am frequently a few decimal points below 5. Of the others, I don't recall anyone having a fasting test over 7 since last Christmas.

So why not just have a totally open forum with moderate moderators that act swiftly upon the zealots of all colours that will inevitably appear.

Shalom.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Some salient points there. Can I remind everyone that this forum was created at the behest of several of the more active anti-low carb members. The rules entirely added in order to prevent ongoing battles breaking out.

So why not just have a totally open forum with moderate moderators that act swiftly upon the zealots of all colours that will inevitably appear.

Ah, a nice idea but not nearly so easy to implement as one would imagine, particularly without impacting on the knowledge base of the current team or restricting debate to a, as you suggest, mutual adulation society that helps no one.

mullaneder

Dislikes
bullies, bad drivers ,recession,
there is an obvious divide here those who low carb and those who dont ,personally i like going into this forum where i know that the posts are not going to be about low carbs just look at most of the advice in the greetings section .the low carb people are just more vocal and fair play to them but if you are not into it ,it can be a bit tiresome .if you want debate and open discussions then go to the general chat section but i like a section where people who arent obsessive about carbs can speak freely what is the harm in that

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No harm as far as I cam concerned. The debate is a clear divide, and I want somewhere that non low-carbers can post without restrictions - hence this forum. To my mind it is fulfilling a need, and I hope that it becomes better attended as time goes on.

Best to all,

Admin

iHs

TheTartanPimpernel said:
For what it is worth I consider that creating this forum was unnecessary. On the other hand I welcomed the bit of stable cleaning that removed a few of the 'nastier' zealots who all too often became embroiled in nothing more than undisguised personal attack.

I also think setting out rules regarding who can or cannot legitimately post on what forum is detrimental and has potential dangers. If, for example, something is posted on a forum which some (no matter from whatever 'leaning') believe to be incorrect or there is nothing other than anecdotal evidence to support it, it is in my view entirely correct to draw attention to the fact or for that matter to challenge what is written. Otherwise you develop quickly into a mutual adulation society which helps no-one. I also concur with the view expressed above that some 'moderators' do appear to lend excessive weight in support of some posts/posters. The post following Fuggsy could be considered by some as aggressive, as could the avatar used. There are other examples. I am cautious, however, because my friend Buachaille was banned for, in my view, expressing more moderate opinions a week or so ago.

I don't low carb and I don't count carbs but I have managed my numbers down, as have other members of this household mainly by fairly rigorous portion control. As it happens, yesterday the only visible carbs I consumed comprised one medium sized Jersey Royal and two small slices of bread – but I call that portion control not concious low carbing. Of the 5 diabetics in the house I alone do not eat pasta but I do have one potato (boiled or chipped or occasionally baked) or a serving spoon of rice or couscous or barley or whatever. I cannot imagine living on Planet Bernstein and see no need to be so 'obsessive'. Moderation seems to have benefits. The engineer in Bernstein shows, and in my view is probably responsible for switching more thinking diabetics off – diabetics should not be treated as machines or systems.

I have never tested more than twice a day and see no real need for T2s to do so. I started with a very high Hba1c which is now regularly between 5.0 and 5.5. I, as do others in the household except the individual T2 who requires insulin, now test only twice a week on two mornings. For a considerable of number of months I have never been higher than 6.1 and am frequently a few decimal points below 5. Of the others, I don't recall anyone having a fasting test over 7 since last Christmas.

Shalom.

I back you on everything you say. I don't think that anyone who has chosen to use common sense and carb in moderation according to what their bg levels are, has anything to worry about.

People should not live in fear that they are going to develop complications from poor control unless they follow an extremely low carb diet. That simply is not the case :)