1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Is this forum proving useful?

Discussion in 'Low Calorie Diets' started by Administrator, May 20, 2009.

1. Aadrgon

Aadrgon · Well-Known Member

that's because most posters are moaning about low carbers rather than posting about alternative diets

Errrm could it be that this is a diet forum ????

2. mullaneder

mullaneder · Well-Known Member

aadrgon i dont agree that most of the posts are giving out about low carbers. we are trying to do our best here but low carbers keep posting in this forum.this will cause arguements.if they didnt post then it wouldn`t be an issue.there are a few threads about"alternative diets",but this is a new section so please just give us a chance there is room for everyone

3. Aadrgon

Aadrgon · Well-Known Member

I'm reading this forum because I am interested in any method to keep my diabetes under control - personally I would prefer for us all to use just one forum for diet and for users to respect one anothers personal preferences for control unfortunately that isn't going to happen

4. Administrator

Administrator Family member · Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Administrator

We tried that for some time, using the diabetes discussions and the diabetes food forum. However, we then had to create a low-carb forum due to complaints that the board was becoming dominated by low-carb threads. We then created this new forum to give readers a balanced perspective. I'm open to suggestions about how better to contain the debate...

5. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

A bit of respect for each others points of view wouldn't go amiss!!

6. ChocFish

ChocFish · Well-Known Member

Be more tolerant of each others views, we are individuals, a forum should be supportive, encouraging and caring, people should not be frightened of being shot down or of writing a wrong post, there is no such thing as a wrong post, respect each other people and be polite and gentle and share experience, I have shared my experience of high carb and low carb on here a few times, I want to hear how others are managing their diabetes whether low carbing or not, I am interested in the people that are sitting right there at the other end of my screen, I mean YOU :)

I am a low carber, its my second nature now, I am a strict vegetarian too, but if you come to me and tell me you are a high carber or you eat meat till it comes out of your ears then that is your personal choice and no reason for me to attack you though, live and let live and be nice to each other.

Lots of love to everyone

Karen x

Oooohhhhh I have just become a grandma again, a little boy this time, I am just soooooooooooo proud of my family :) :) :) :) :)

7. deadwood2

deadwood2 · Well-Known Member

I'd like the choice not so see this and some others, yes.

I can see the benefit of the the former and wouldn't stop anyone choosing an alternative.

You assume wrong. On almost all counts. When I need to be reminded about the rules, I'm sure a mod will be along in short order :)

8. mullaneder

karen congrats on the birth of your new grandchild :D :D

9. Sid Bonkers

Sid Bonkers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit Aadrgon, I was actually talking about the forum as a whole not just this board, perhaps I should have qualified that for you [​IMG]

10. kegstore

kegstore · Well-Known Member

... yet also the highest form of intelligence, although that's quite possibly apocryphal :wink:

11. mullaneder

meanwhile back at the forum that likes helping people, hows everyone doing :roll: :roll:

12. Thirsty

Thirsty · Well-Known Member

I'm alright, Jack. :lol:

13. deadwood2

And long may it last.

14. Sweet3x

Sweet3x · Well-Known Member

I love this forum - I think it's the best on the site. Thank you :)

15. deadwood2

But there's ****** all in it...

16. mullaneder

each tree has to start off as a seed, this is still a fairly new forum maybe if it wasn`t knocked so much it might stand a better chance.why not start a thread ? if it helps one person then isn`t it worth it ? dermot

17. Thirsty

Thirsty · Well-Known Member

Dermot, you may feel differently but, I find myself repeating the same old story over and over again when it comes to a non low-carb approach to tackling diabetes. Perhaps it would be worthwhile if someone started a thread outlining the basis for this?

I don't have the necessary qualifications to make anything other than anecdotal comments, but perhaps somebody here does?

18. mullaneder

hi thirsty no problem i was thinking of starting a thread as to why i dont low carb but i didnt want it to descend to low carbers coming on disagreeing with my point of view but if you really want to know then you wish is my command i just hope low carbers dont see it as confrontational.

19. kegstore

kegstore · Well-Known Member

It's bizarre that for some reason those who don't low carb also don't feel the need to shout about it? You just do what you do and get on with it. Maybe lowcarbing affects the brain in some way?

20. deadwood2

The difficulty here is that one arrives in this place somewhat confused and in search of answers.

The only answers on offer, are by and large, lo-carb. And the problem with that, at least in my case, is that reduced carb does seem to work. I've lost nearly a stone and got my Bg down to a level that keeps Diabetic Dotty happy. And more importantly, I don't feel I've made any significant changes, I do feel that even if I'm not in total control that I'm getting there.

Mrs Deadwood says the change has been radical, but I don't see it.. I just eat a bit less rice, pasta, potato, bread, etc., and make up for it with proper cooked breakfasts once in a while, a bit of cheese, hell's teeth even a pork pie. No hardship. Apart from the lettuce, that's a hardship.

Admittedly the readings were interesting yesterday (chicken curry, sag aloo(sp?), chick pea dahl, rice, naan & a chapatti the night before), but hey - you're a long time dead. Today they're back on track, and that includes a death burger with cheese mid afternoon.

As for the unrestricted carb route, I don't see anyone championing it - and by that I don't mean sitting back smugly and keeping the secret to themselves whilst denigrating the lo-carbers - I mean someone who actively encourages a high or unrestricted carb dietary approach and suggests how it may be achieved. I may have missed it, of course.

So, yes, bring it on; it can't be any less edifying than arguing about the utility of a forum that never really got started. (And yes I know I said it wasn't helpful, and yes, I still stick by my conclusion that as yet there is nothing of any use in it).

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook