Is This low- carb breaf?

abealti

12g of fibers and 15 grams of carbs per 100g.. does that mean that 100g of this bread contains 3g net carbs? I’m on a Keto diet and I really need some Keto friendly bread...

Reactions: mike@work
D

Deleted member 308541

12g of fibers and 15 grams of carbs per 100g.. does that mean that 100g of this bread contains 3g net carbs? I’m on a Keto diet and I really need some Keto friendly bread...
Disregard the fibre content, the bread contains 15 grams per 100 grams carbs which is not a low carb bread.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why should I disregard the fibre? Carbs-Fibres = net carbs?
Depends on which country you are in and how the labels are reported.. where are you based.. do you have a link to the bread in question? 3g per 100g sounds very low for any kind of bread.

D

Deleted member 308541

Why should I disregard the fibre? Carbs-Fibres = net carbs?
Here's a pix of the low carb bread nutrition panel I buy, "fibre" has a section to itself so I disregard it, and take notice of the carbs which are 5.4 grams per 100 gram.

ODWe0wK.png

D

Deleted member 308541

Well I’m from Sweden https://www.garantskafferiet.se/vara-produkter/brod--kakor/brod/mork-frolimpa/ this is the bread if you need help with translation just ask me.
Looking at the bread there at the link.

Nutrition.

(per 100 g)

Energy 270 kcal / 1100 kJ
Fat 13 g
of which saturated fat 1.5 g
Carbohydrate 15 g
of which sugars 0.5 g
Fiber 12 g
Protein 15 g
Salt 1.1 g
The Fibre section is separate from the Carbs, so the bread has 15 grams / 100 grams carbs.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In the USA, yes, it's low carb, as they count the fiber with the carbs which leaves you with 3 grams of carbs. If in Europe, a little, as most bread contains about 47 grams of carbs per 100 grams (not counting the fibre), so 15 grams of carbs/100 gram is pretty low for bread.

In the rest of the world, I'm not sure what system they use. Maybe upload a picture of the nutritional information?

edit: Apologies, I should learn to refresh my page more often :p

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking at your link, as the fibre is mentioned separately, the total net carbs are 15g per 100g. This is not low carb, it is much the same as normal ordinary white bread. It is only in the USA that fibre is included in the total carbs. In Europe it is counted separately so you do not deduct it. It is already net carbs. The calculation has been done for you.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was never much of a fan of the Lidl protein rolls - I found the texture and taste rather unpleasant
personally Id say youre not missing much, but I know some on the forum would strongly disagree

Last edited:

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
5.4 g of non-fibre carbs per 100 g sounds low carb to me. The fibre doesn't count as we can't digest it.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately, Herman Brot don't seem to post overseas - is that right, @Tipetoo? Your figures are excellent in that test :)

However, I think I may have cracked it on the low-carb bread front! Could you make your own, @abealti? I made the super seed bread in the recipe book by Dr Cavan and Emma Porter for non-LC friends and the whole loaf was scoffed. It's a winner for me and really tasty, with a rye-bread type texture. I can't seem to find that particular recipe online but the book is worth buying for that one alone! Of course one slice may be too much for those on VLC, or who find bready things a trigger.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a recipe in my blog - I have not done a full work up of the carb content as it is still an on going project - but it is a lot lower than the white bread I used to make - or rather it is the same recipe but with so much added it makes far more bread. The texture and taste are good for me, it toasts well, but I don't know how well it keeps as I freeze it and bring it out in small amounts which do not last long at all. I suggest adding up the carbs for your ingredients, weighing the dough and dividing it up into 10 or 20 gm of carb equivalents - I plan to use muffin tins for the next lot, as I find it very difficult when faced with even a small loaf - though perhaps it is the smallness which is the problem.
I can resist anything but temptation.