Is Your Local Surgery on Twitter and Does it Matter?

M

Member496333

Twitter is basically a hive mind. It will evolve into Skynet and erase all humans from the globe. For this reason I don’t use it.

I’m not even joking. Seriously, an A.I. intelligence is built from data. Imagine an A.I. with human intellect, but with no remorse, fear or regret. It’s basically game over. Proper Terminator stuff. Not sure if my surgery are on there, and no it probably doesn’t matter, since Eatwell will probably have killed us all long before Arnold rolls up on his Harley :shifty:

Reactions: Goonergal

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Twitter is basically a hive mind. It will evolve into Skynet and erase all humans from the globe. For this reason I don’t use it.

I’m not even joking. Seriously, an A.I. intelligence is built from data. Imagine an A.I. with human intellect, but with no remorse, fear or regret. It’s basically game over. Proper Terminator stuff. Not sure if my surgery are on there, and no it probably doesn’t matter, since Eatwell will probably have killed us all long before Arnold rolls up on his Harley :shifty:
And yet some prominent members of this forum use Twitter frequently and to good effect. In one particular case I wouldnt bet against her riding in on her Harley in the manner you describe...

Still, to coin a phrase, you are entitled to your own opinion, as ever.

Reactions: jjraak

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And many equally prominent ones choose not to. I don’t understand the point you’re trying to make - some people use Twitter, some don’t. Who cares?

Not sure of “equally prominent” bit.

The ones that do use it and there are many, do care.

Ironically I notice you yourself use it.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

I suppose there where those equally suspicious of the telegraph, telephone and radio communication and maybe even the odd native American saying you won't catch me using those new fangled smoke signals

M

Member496333

I suppose there where those equally suspicious of the telegraph, telephone and radio communication and maybe even the odd native American saying you won't catch me using those new fangled smoke signals

Listen, and understand! That Terminator is out there! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop... ever, until you are dead!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Listen, and understand! That Terminator is out there! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop... ever, until you are dead!

Sounds a lot like my grandson actually.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Extraordinary. And yet some well known players in the low carb world and other well known individuals in the world of nutrition use it a fair bit. It is quite good in the sense that one can interact with them directly.

Edited to add: Diabetes.co.uk also have a presence on Twitter too.

What has that got to do with a surgery being on Twitter?

Many individuals are on twitter sharing the most up to date research. I am mainly there for that and being an old curmudgeon of course..

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
What is the benefit of the surgery being on Twitter?
I can see that some non-specific information broadcasts would sit well there because the surgery doesn't have to maintain an email list and patients don't have to regularly check a website. In other words, push notifications.
Apart from that I'm not sure.
Twitter is used by some service providers (e.g. mobile phones, Internet) to interact with customers but I'm not sure that a personal (individual patient) interaction is appropriate. Email would be better, in my opinion.

M

Member496333

Come to think of it, I suppose at least if my surgery were on Twitter they might actually learn something about diabetes, instead of just getting schooled by me once a year :shifty:

I'll be back.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not suspicion of Twitter. I used it for a couple of years, until the petty backbiting and destructive posting and general hatefulness disgusted me to the point of deleting my account.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When the topic of Twitter came up at a recent PPG meeting (not raised by me, I might just add), the response was they were more concerned about seeing their patients, and managing their practise that talking to the World Wide Web.

They further commented they would far prefer those patients who were interested enough to use the internet signed up for the surgery services such as appointments, prescriptions and information.

I thought that quite a fair response.

The surgery doesn't have a Facebook page either

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't do Twitter, I think I have account somewhere but don't remember my username or password. I am a member of a few closed groups on FB. I have myGp for ordering prescriptions, appointments and hopefully results in the not to distant future.

I have no idea of what benefit fb or Twitter could be in relation to the surgery. Call me a luddite if you want, you won't hurt my feelings.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Dont think my Drs are on Twitter and do not really care. If they were I would ask them to take themselves off because of all the irrelevant drivvle that is posted on there!!

Edited by mod for language

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Member496333

In all seriousness I think it's a very powerful resource. Doubtless instrumental in helping to untangle disinformation and spread the truth. Something that is vital in our circles. The anointed vs. the wisdom of the crowds, as it were.

Honestly the main reason I don't use it is that I know I'd rage-quit after a day. I cannot abide fools, and using something like Twitter would expose me to toxic levels of stupidity.

Reactions: HSSS

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I don't do Twitter, I think I have account somewhere but don't remember my username or password. I am a member of a few closed groups on FB. I have myGp for ordering prescriptions, appointments and hopefully results in the not to distant future.

I have no idea of what benefit fb or Twitter could be in relation to the surgery. Call me a luddite if you want, you won't hurt my feelings.

Good because I would take it as a complement.

The Luddites were not against technology they were protesting against the way in which it was being used in a fraudulent and deceitful manner to get around standard labour practices.

Even Lord Byron spoke up for them.

Edit to add what I had intended to say in the first place I would have no interest in talking to my doctor via social media.

I have a twitter account a Facebook account and Instagram account our family is spread out all over the place they help us to keep in touch

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When the topic of Twitter came up at a recent PPG meeting (not raised by me, I might just add), the response was they were more concerned about seeing their patients, and managing their practise that talking to the World Wide Web.

They further commented they would far prefer those patients who were interested enough to use the internet signed up for the surgery services such as appointments, prescriptions and information.

I thought that quite a fair response.

The surgery doesn't have a Facebook page either
My surgery seems incapable of using email.. still sends out letters by post.. very 20th century..