Is Your Local Surgery on Twitter and Does it Matter?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My surgery seems incapable of using email.. still sends out letters by post.. very 20th century..
After an email “accident” where everyone’s email address was visible mine refuse to use it now anything other than automated acknowledgement for fear of another gdpr episode. Same reasoning against Facebook along with the admin time required.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
In all seriousness I think it's a very powerful resource. Doubtless instrumental in helping to untangle disinformation and spread the truth. Something that is vital in our circles. The anointed vs. the wisdom of the crowds, as it were.

Agreed, it is a powerful resource BUT a lot of rubbish is posted up

Honestly the main reason I don't use it is that I know I'd rage-quit after a day. I cannot abide fools, and using something like Twitter would expose me to toxic levels of stupidity.

Sort of contradicts your first sentence thou

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When the topic of Twitter came up at a recent PPG meeting (not raised by me, I might just add), the response was they were more concerned about seeing their patients, and managing their practise that talking to the World Wide Web.

They further commented they would far prefer those patients who were interested enough to use the internet signed up for the surgery services such as appointments, prescriptions and information.

I thought that quite a fair response.

The surgery doesn't have a Facebook page either
My surgery doesn't even have internet sign in facilities yet for booking appointments, are getting results or requesting repeat prescription.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My surgery doesn't even have internet sign in facilities yet for booking appointments, are getting results or requesting repeat prescription.

It'll be worth the wait, Lucy.

My lot are very progressive in some ways, yet so behind the curve in others. Hey ho.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My surgery need more experienced IT people, they are reluctant to use the local NHS facilities and took ages to retrain for the new software while repeatedly making mistakes. They don't use twitter or facebook, can't keep their website up to date, etc.
I don't trust them to keep my data safe, but luckily I don't need to keep any of my health conditions or meds secret.

Reactions: jjraak

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Twitter is basically a hive mind. It will evolve into Skynet and erase all humans from the globe. For this reason I don’t use it.

I’m not even joking. Seriously, an A.I. intelligence is built from data. Imagine an A.I. with human intellect, but with no remorse, fear or regret. It’s basically game over. Proper Terminator stuff. Not sure if my surgery are on there, and no it probably doesn’t matter, since Eatwell will probably have killed us all long before Arnold rolls up on his Harley :shifty:
I am bit Twitter phobic myself but seem to be a Youtube addict (same echo chamber but less divisive and mean spirited given long form discussions not just mortal combat by 140 characters). More scary tech will be the ads that read your eye focus and adjust their advertising accordingly.
I'd be a bit dismayed if my local GP surgey did employ anyone's valuable time in tweeting however I do get bombarded with health messages via my Patient Access app but those are generic and the ability to book online, request meds and see my latest test results is fabulous!

Reactions: jjraak

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought all GP surgeries were supposed to have online access by 2016, I can't find anything to verify this - maybe someone else knows. If only they were on Twitter or Facebook you could complain about it :)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought all GP surgeries were supposed to have online access by 2016, I can't find anything to verify this - maybe someone else knows. If only they were on Twitter or Facebook you could complain about it :)
I am in Wales. It is up to the individual surgery here.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am bit Twitter phobic myself but seem to be a Youtube addict (same echo chamber but less divisive and mean spirited given long form discussions not just mortal combat by 140 characters). More scary tech will be the ads that read your eye focus and adjust their advertising accordingly.
I'd be a bit dismayed if my local GP surgey did employ anyone's valuable time in tweeting however I do get bombarded with health messages via my Patient Access app but those are generic and the ability to book online, request meds and see my latest test results is fabulous!
(I don’t actually have 2 surgeries but have been involved with two in my town but refer to my two surgeries as I cannot mention them by name)

One surgery is more proactive on social media than the other. But the idea is to reach out in as cheap a way as possible and social media fits that. Yes, the Admin staff in the one case do tweet but not for hours on end, and I know that it can be outside of their office hours. The lady I have dealt with works very hard indeed. Both surgeries use Facebook (but in a limited way) one uses Twitter. She receives all of Debandez, Dr Unwin’s and Dr Simon Tobin’s (Park Run - Dr David Unwins Partner) Twitter feeds and others. She posted a recent video of Dr David Unwin’s podcasts on Twitter in the hope that the surgerie’s patients would see it and watch it. However, her time is also taken up with other areas of patient health care and not just T2 diabetes.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Then why introduce the idea?

More half spoken whispers to hint at negative things about this forum, I see. A common occurrence these days, instead of the courage to speak plainly.
My concern lays outside of this forum, in the outside world and that is what drives the posting. I make no apology for that. I see Twitter as a tool to be used to that benefit. It fills a gap that this forum does not. That is not a criticism. It is a case of realising forum limitations. Limitations that many individuals that are well known to us all obviously realise as they choose other forms of social media for their interaction with the world.

Diabetes.co.uk obviously realise the benefit of Twitter as they post on it regularly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Struma

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What has that got to do with a surgery being on Twitter?

Many individuals are on twitter sharing the most up to date research. I am mainly there for that and being an old curmudgeon of course..
If you read the thread through you will see why.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My concern lays outside of this forum, in the outside world and that is what drives the posting. I make no apology for that.
If you read the thread through you will see why.
More cryptic comments that I for one have no idea what you are talking about and rereading doesn’t help.

@Listlad i understand you don’t want to name names of people not posting here or potentially give away comments made in confidence but please either say what you mean clearly or just don’t mention it. I honestly think you are either being overly cautious or deliberately trying to tease.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My surgery need more experienced IT people, they are reluctant to use the local NHS facilities and took ages to retrain for the new software while repeatedly making mistakes. They don't use twitter or facebook, can't keep their website up to date, etc.
I don't trust them to keep my data safe, but luckily I don't need to keep any of my health conditions or meds secret.
My surgery, the one I am a patient with, has just taken on an internet savvy Administrator. As a consequence they are using Facebook more now, but not yet Twitter.

M

Member496333

Eatwell will probably have killed us all long before Arnold rolls up on his Harley :shifty:

Hang on. If this happened then we would never have given birth to Skynet. Which is a shame, because the resistance leaders could send a Terminator back in time to kill Ancel Keys' mother.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hang on. If this happened then we would never have given birth to Skynet. Which is a shame, because the resistance leaders could send a Terminator back in time to kill Ancel Keys' mother.
Got to be derailment Jim, surely.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP surgery won’t give online access to medical records yet - apparently it’s depends what they originally signed up to. I can make appointments and order meds though.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I nearly missed that quip amongst all the chicanery. Where do you live, Timbuctu?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If you are actually interested in Timbuktu
then the following is estimated
Timbuktu population 464,376 of which 134 have diabetes 13 of which are T1 the rest T2 or other Prevalence of Type1 diabetes per 100,000 population is 2.89

Reactions: Norfolkmell

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

The thing with setting up managing & administrating a social media account, such as Twitter.
Is it needs constant monitoring & updating of news to engage the follower.

Now, in my local semi rural GP surgery has a large screen TV monitor at the front of the waiting area.
As well as serving to flash up the name of the next patient to be seen. (Though to be fair, the HCP normally comes to the door & calls the patient in person.)
There is a variety of news informing the patient of (to name a few.) flu jab season, help with stopping smoking, hours lost with missed apoinments, welcoming new members of staff..

One funny one informed that the practice no longer performs ear syringing & recomend drops to loosen it? There is a service for syringing at a certain opticians at a nominal cost. "No wax, no fee!"

My surgury doesn't do Twitter. I do get bespoke text sent to my phone, either reminding me I have an appointment. Or to make one...

@Jim Lahey , the whole "AI" thing? Ask Alexa on that one! ;)
"Give me your boots, your motorcycle jacket & sunglasses. & get on those scales.." "Uzi nine millimetre. I need to check your feeeeeet!" :cool:

Twitter is a sort of micro blogging site. The acount holder does their "thing" be it a public eye celebrity, stand up comedian, a band, or a business.
As I mentioned earlier, these are usually "moderated" by the account holder.
They are not above the law either, subject to malicious comunication & libel when things go wrong.
There are a lot of "keyboard warriors" out there..

Though I don't see anything potentially controversial or subversive happening at a GP surgery Twitter site.

I'd rather see focus primarily on patient care, starting with some professional customer service behind the reception desk & a diary that goes beyond the next 4 weeks. :)

Reactions: Member496333