Is Your Local Surgery on Twitter and Does it Matter?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
My local surgery is not on Twitter but the sister surgery in town is and to a degree is active. Low Carb GP is, on the other hand. And others are too.

I have a twitter account but my surgery does not. I don't think it needs to. They already have a very good method of communicating, it's called the telephone.

Reactions: Robbity

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
More cryptic comments that I for one have no idea what you are talking about and rereading doesn’t help.

@Listlad i understand you don’t want to name names of people not posting here or potentially give away comments made in confidence but please either say what you mean clearly or just don’t mention it. I honestly think you are either being overly cautious or deliberately trying to tease.

.... Or take a look in "box number three?"

Some sort of "market research."

Nah, not our Lad?! ;)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not lying. My surgery doesn't offer this yet.
Of course you're not. It was just ammunition in case you wanted to ask them why not. I find it very useful for appointments and my wife and daughters really like the ability to order their repeat prescriptions online.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a twitter account but my surgery does not. I don't think it needs to. They already have a very good method of communicating, it's called the telephone.
Yes, well hopefully most do. I am sure people like Doctor David Unwin etc have a phone, but still use Twitter prolifically.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course you're not. It was just ammunition in case you wanted to ask them why not. I find it very useful for appointments and my wife and daughters really like the ability to order their repeat prescriptions online.
Me too. I use the online facility for repeat prescriptions, blood test results and appointment booking for the family. It works very well. It saves us using the phone and saves them time too.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd rather see focus primarily on patient care, starting with some professional customer service behind the reception desk & a diary that goes beyond the next 4 weeks. :)

Sure. In the one case that I have most knowledge about the Twitter feed etc is run by an administrator who works very hard to keep everyone happy. Not a GP or nurse. She is not on it all day by any stretch of the imagination. It is a way of engaging with patients and keeping an ear to the ground. As I posted previously, in this one case much of what is posted from the T2 standpoint is about low carb stuff and Dr David Unwins stuff etc etc etc, so it is designed to reach those patients at the surgery who are not captured by Diabetes.co.uk etc, where possible. For example the Sugar Equivalent infogram has been tweeted, not to capture people like us on the forum but the others who haven’t made it that far. It doesn’t take a lot of time to create a Tweet and that is what is done.

I am not happy with receptionists in general either, nor long waiting times, but I do not begrudge other patients in my district some valuable help from the surgery on reversing T2 diabetes - as opposed to no help.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sure. In the one case that I have most knowledge about the Twitter feed etc is run by an administrator who works very hard to keep everyone happy. Not a GP or nurse. She is not on it all day by any stretch of the imagination. It is a way of engaging with patients and keeping an ear to the ground. As I posted previously, in this one case much of what is posted from the T2 standpoint is about low carb stuff and Dr David Unwins stuff etc etc etc, so it is designed to reach those patients at the surgery who are not captured by Diabetes.co.uk etc, where possible. For example the Sugar Equivalent infogram has been tweeted, not to capture people like us on the forum but the others who haven’t made it that far. It doesn’t take a lot of time to create a Tweet and that is what is done.

Ah, OK.
so to summarize; Your suggesting the administrators sharing posts or re-Tweeting from other sources on these surgery run social media sites.
Where oddly, due to my personal search profile created online, my own social media page highlights this sort of thing anyway as a personal point of interest. (along with cars & music.) ;)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, OK.
so to summarize; Your suggesting the administrators sharing posts or re-Tweeting from other sources on these surgery run social media sites.
Where oddly, due to my personal search profile created online, my own social media page highlights this sort of thing anyway as a personal point of interest. (along with cars & music.) ;)
No. You have misunderstood. The NHS nAdministrator at the other surgery in my home town runs the Twitter and Facebook accounts on behalf of that surgery. This is of course quite different to a specific Low Carb site, one of which is being run successfully at a surgery in the Morecambe Bay Area.

An NHS Administrator runs the surgery Facebook site for my surgery. This is common practice at many surgeries now.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No. You have misunderstood. The NHS nAdministrator at the other surgery in my home town runs the Twitter and Facebook accounts on behalf of that surgery. This is of course quite different to a specific Low Carb site, one of which is being run successfully at a surgery in the Morecambe Bay Area.

An NHS Administrator runs the surgery Facebook site for my surgery. This is common practice at many surgeries now.

Thanks for clarifying. :)

Unfortunatly, my surgery isn't there yet with social media. But the do use a "PowerPoint" presentation set up in the waiting room. Which I find informative.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for clarifying. :)

Unfortunatly, my surgery isn't there yet with social media. But the do use a "PowerPoint" presentation set up in the waiting room. Which I find informative.
Okay. It seems like each surgery can be at varying points in their development. Some quicker than others.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice to see Mr Panesar (not the cricketer but of Diabetes.co.uk) tweeting on Twitter today.
(What has this to do with my surgery? His poster is up on their wall - just for clarity).
(For further clarity and for avoidance of doubt, they can read his tweets).

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today the Low Carb Program was being advertised on Twitter by Mr Panesar (not the cricketer). That’s good as maybe my surgery and many others, will pick up on that.

Does it matter? Of course it does.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nice to see Mr Panesar (not the cricketer but of Diabetes.co.uk) tweeting on Twitter today.
(What has this to do with my surgery? His poster is up on their wall - just for clarity).
(For further clarity and for avoidance of doubt, they can read his tweets).

Great news.

Did your surgery also re-tweet Mr Panesar's post on their account?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news.

Did your surgery also re-tweet Mr Panesar's post on their account?
The other surgery in the town is retweeting quite a lot of good material now including the recent announcement from the CEO of ADA who announced she reversed her T2 diabetes using a low carb diet and a YouTube video of an interview with Dr David Unwin.

this news :

https://www.dietdoctor.com/breaking...ceo-manages-her-diabetes-with-a-low-carb-diet

Also on the surgery Facebook page.

32C5BC65-0D8B-4A96-A4D2-2581EE43D82A.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaylee

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today the Low Carb Program was being advertised on Twitter by Mr Panesar (not the cricketer). That’s good as maybe my surgery and many others, will pick up on that.

Does it matter? Of course it does.

Or did you retweet it yourself?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Or did you retweet it yourself?
No. The surgery.

Not sure of your point here. I messaged the surgery through Twitter and the administrator thanked me and said she was going to retweet the tweet by / on the CEO of ADA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tophat1900

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No. The surgery.

Not sure of your point here. I messaged the surgery through Twitter and the administrator thanked me and said she was going to retweet the tweet by / on the CEO of ADA.
So you initiated the process?