1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Isolated

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Nicki.R, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Nicki.R

Nicki.R · Newbie

Hi, I am currently in self quarantine for 12 weeks now, I am feeling so lonely. I can't even walk the poor dog.

I can't have visitors as I have pulmonary fibrosis and heart disease too.

Feeling fed up.

• Hug Hug x 13
  2. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Fairly sure you can walk your dog. I have two. Hubby walks them because I suffer from a weakness and they can pull me over. No need to feel lonely, we are a great bunch.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think that we are fortunate to have the internet which gives us a method of communication while being physically isolated. I don't dismiss the pain of physical isolation though.

I have heard that it helps some people to keep to a regime of getting up at a normal time and getting dressed etc as if going about their normal life.

My sympathies- keep reading around- and posting.

Good luck.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Cabin fever has truly infiltrated many countries and airports here in Australia are largely deserted. Nice to be divorced from reality with a bank of DVDs and live in a quiet town away from the shuffling madness.

Whatever the fallout might be, it will generate into overdrive, the construction of a compliant worldwide medical research team to reach a response to this threat and others sure to follow.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Rose22

Rose22 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, I sympathise, it is hard once loneliness kicks in, try not to focus on those feelings and look for some positives. You have a safe place to be in? Could anyone you know post you letters or magazines to read? Can you face time family/friends? to try pass some time and feel like interacting with people. Do you have any hobbies or puzzles you could do?
    You have the dog as your companion, that’s a little blessing I’m sure and they are probably feeling similar to you! Wondering what’s going on, where all the usual visitors and walks are?
    Try to take each day as it comes and appreciate what we have in here and now. Otherwise the thought of weeks is daunting for any of us! Keeping a routine may help divide the day and pass the time too?
    Sorry I cannot think of any real ways to help you or make this easier. You are stronger than you know, and by taking it a day at time will suddenly be through it and we will all look back with astonishment at how our lives where drastically changed for a period but we did it! Take good care of yourself x

• Like Like x 1
  8. Martinjd

Martinjd Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I know how your feeling, my daughter has told me she has made other arrangements for my two year old grandson. I have been looking after him two days a week but that has stopped until who knows when, I’m going to miss the little guy so much.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi there, this puzzled me, may I ask why? x

10. sno0opy

sno0opy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

you cant take your kids round to some one else's house to look after, you cant leave your house..

Even before the latest round of advice taking your kids to an older relative to look after was strongly discouraged to avoid it spreading to people who wouldnt be able to fight it off

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Martinjd

Martinjd Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Its due to social distancing and avoiding contact, my daughter is a dental nurse who is only treating people in need of emergency treatment. So obviously it’s not a good idea for any of us to have contact. This virus is going to kill an awful lot more people if we don’t take it seriously and follow government instructions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

I'm missing our little guy too, we know it makes sense but it still hurts doesn't it?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Rubyjewelz

Rubyjewelz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello, i'm isolating too, it's so boring, you're lucky to have a doggie...you can go for a little walk...it's fine...x

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm getting fed up of looking at the same 8 walls (bedroom or living room), I don't feel lonely as I'm not a very sociable person anyway but we live in a terraced house with thin walls and all of our neighbours are SO noisy and I miss being able to go out to get away from them :hilarious:

• Hug Hug x 2
  15. MollieB

MollieB · Well-Known Member

I live in the States, in one of the "epicenters" we can still walk our dogs here. In fact, going on walks is encouraged (as long as you remain the appropriate distance apart). Personally, I have only seen a handful of people out walking so keeping my distance hasn't been a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

@Martinjd - Try to build yourself some form of routine. Walking your dog? Why not think of doing that first thing or in the evening?

I had to pick up my prescription yesterday. I went about 16:30. My rationale was that the sun was going down, so it was getting cooler. Anyone with family, might be at home by then, people planning to cook could be getting that under way.

I encountered on lady, walking with a baby in a pushchair, or her way to the village shop (opposite the pharmacy), but we were on opposite sides of the road.

There was nobody in the pharmacy,............ Nobody. I was astonished!

Maybe I got really lucky, but it felt like people seem to be taking this latest appeal/requirement more seriously that previous measures.

Obviously, you have to decide for yourself, but maybe plan to have a chat with the little guy every few days? Children can be so cute on video calls, and adults just avoid the video bit, often!

Stay well.

• Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook