Issue with Libre - blank screen

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you to the wonderful wiz kid who thought about re-installing the original purchased app. Works a treat!

I wonder if Abbott will bother communicating with us when they eventually fix this - I somehow doubt it…..?

AsepticSid
I have received an email today, doesn’t say much that we don’t already know and disappointingly doesn’t mention when it’s likely to be fixed.

Reactions: curly

curly

I have received an email today, doesn’t say much that we don’t already know and disappointingly doesn’t mention when it’s likely to be fixed.
And also disappointingly, but not surprisingly, is a ‘no reply’ email address. As first thing I did was hit ‘reply’ to give them a piece of my mind!!

Reactions: Rachox

Jayne190658

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes mine came down this morning, was working yesterday, now having a blank white page. Had to go digging in my stuff to find a manual glucometer
You need to delete app and reset up again from bought purchased as app been deleted from App Store. You can find from purchases. There is a better message earlier explaining. Your existing sensor will work but all history will be lost. I’ve just done mine and all ok now

kingsmac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been running both the Libre app and the Shuggah app for close on a day now. The first thing of note is that both are running full functionality. Shuggah is sending BG readings to my Garmin watch every 5 minutes (an interval I have set) while the Libre app alarms are working correctly and the home screen updates BG automatically every minute. I do hope this situation continues after I activate a new sensor tomorrow. What is particularly worthy of note is that Shuggah data is pretty much always 1mmol lower than Libre and pretty much identical to a finger prick result. This explains why my last blood HbA1c test was 1mmol lower than what Libre was forecasting. Receiving actual BG readings on my watch while driving is a game changer for me. I can certainly recommend running both apps side-by-side provided that both retain their full functionality. I will post on here tomorrow how I get on once my new sensor has been activated.

Last edited:

kingsmac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to say thank you everyone for all your responses regarding Libre2 app meltdown. Like so many of you I couldn’t get through to Abbott yesterday so left a message on their customer care line. Had a reply saying that they would get back to me in the next three days. Had a look on Diabetes Forum and found that I wasn’t alone. I’ve deleted the app and reinstalled from App Store and all good so far. The latest version is even better than the last one. I’ve had type 1 for the past 33 years and hypo’s for 32 of them. Thanks to Abbott they’re in the past. Perhaps the best thing to happen in my time with diabetes.
Also, this is my first post on this forum although I’m a regular reader. Thanks once again, you’ve stopped me panicking.
Yesterday morning I got through to Abbott after waiting 1 hour 25 minutes and although the call handler was polite he couldn’t tell me anything I hadn’t already found on this platform. He did take all my details (which explains why there was such a wait if they dealt with every caller in this way) and registered what he termed ‘my complaint’. I was glad that at least I registered my discontent, but left no better off than when I started. Thank goodness for this platform which gave me everything I needed to rectify the situation.

PanditNy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I updated the app on my iPhone yesterday, then got the blank white screen and crashing of the app. On Abbott’s advice I deleted the app (lost all my data within the app!) and then reinstalled it. It worked perfectly as a CGM for a few hours, then I kept getting ‘loss of signal’ and only getting a reading by scanning :(
I am facing the same problem! I l got blank screen and I redownload app but still the same problem!my bad!

PBarks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am grateful for the advice about Shuggah. I have downloaded it to my iPhone and it is working well and giving continuous monitoring. It took me about 10 minutes to set it up, alarms etc. It does not read my Novopen 6 so I have to manually input my insulin dosages. With regard to the blank screen issue; I came across that yesterday morning, I did all the predictable things such as cursing, rebooting etc. I decided that I must have somehow corrupted the app and so went into the app store to find it had disappeared. Reinstalling from the record of my earlier downloads doesn't work because once you have set the app up any further use just brings back the blank screen. I then went online and found that I was not on my own. I rang Abbott and after about 90 minutes was able to talk to a very helpful lady. The problems are as described earlier in this forum, the new software is supposed to make the Libre2 a constant glucose monitor (I thought that was what the new Libre3 was for) but there is a problem with iOS which is taking time to solve. A reader is being sent to me with a replacement sensor. I'll try the reader but I think that I'll probably stick with Shuggah until Abbott sort out their app. It looks to me as though Abbott need lessons in patient care and communication.

Reactions: Bill_St

kingsmac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Those who have read my earlier posts will know that this morning, the big thing for me, is activating a new Libre 2 sensor. Following advice I found online, I always put on my new sensor the night before it is to be activated, so I have one sensor on each arm for one night. This, apparently, enables the new sensor to settle down and be more accurate from the start. That does seem to be the case. Both my updated Libre app and Shuggah are still working fine with full functionality. I will be activating the new sensor with the Libre app in about one hour and then have the usual 60 minutes wait before it is working. It will be with bated breath that I then wait to see if all still works fine. I am playing tennis this morning and it will be excellent if I still receive notifications on my Garmin watch from Shuggah, this would be a massive help in monitoring my BG while playing. I will post on here this afternoon how I get on. Shuggah is still about 1mmol below Libre and finger pricks still show Shuggah is the more accurate app.

Reactions: Bill_St

holdem

Can you get through to the Bluetooth screen on the app? Took me a while to figure out how to get started, but need to get to the Bluetooth screen (Bluetooth symbol at bottom of app Home Screen), then click on the + to select CGM then Freestyle 2 and then scan your sensor. Mine wouldn’t scan first few times, but persevered and it worked. Now I don’t need to scan it again as it’s just transmitting automatically like a proper CGM.
Hi yes I struggled to start till I read somewhere I needed to turn my alarms off in libre app

Thanks

Bleachbabe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well thank goodness for this forum!!!! Was due to go on holiday last Friday when the blank white screen appeared!!! Obv panic until this forum and downloaded Shuggah which has been great!!! Not having to actually scan and added bonus. Cannot believe that Abbot could make such a huge mistake when so many people depend on a potentially life saving device. Do we now keep Shuggah as seems to be the more dependable one, already ahead of the game with no scanning? Anyway thank you to all for advice. Am just going to try and download new app and see.

Reactions: Bill_St and Antje77

Bleachbabe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like some people have been able to download new LibreLink 2 app but I still can’t find it on App Store? How did others find it?

alimar77

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well thank goodness for this forum!!!! Was due to go on holiday last Friday when the blank white screen appeared!!! Obv panic until this forum and downloaded Shuggah which has been great!!! Not having to actually scan and added bonus. Cannot believe that Abbot could make such a huge mistake when so many people depend on a potentially life saving device. Do we now keep Shuggah as seems to be the more dependable one, already ahead of the game with no scanning? Anyway thank you to all for advice. Am just going to try and download new app and see.

Apparently it should show in the part of your settings where all your previous store orders are:

Settings
Apple ID
Media & Purchases
View Account
Scroll to Purchase History

Hope that helps!

kingsmac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just as I feared, changing to a new sensor caused a nightmare! Immediately the 60 minute warmup finished and the sensor started working, it soon showed signal loss and loss of alarms! The only way to get a reading was to scan. Next the signal loss alarm kept going off and I could not get Shuggah to connect to the new sensor. It keept saying ‘scan successful’, then just said, ‘scanning’ and never changed to ‘connected’. Next, I tried deleting the Libre app, which was the new version, and had been working perfectly with my old sensor! I then reloaded the Libre app from my purchases as instructed, but that soon showed signal loss and I was back to square one! Worst of all, after deleting both Libre and Shuggah, and then reloading Libre, it still would not work other than with a scan of the sensor. Currently I have only Shuggah, having loaded it after deleting Libre again, and it is working perfectly. When you download Shuggah and go through the installation, you do get a warning that Bluetooth access for Libre must be denied. Yesterday with the old sensor I did not deny Libre access and yet both Libre and Shuggah worked fine. I have downloaded Libre again and denied Bluetooth access, but of course this just means the app doesn’t work! I’m now very confused and facing a call to Abbott, which I doubt will be of any use, and of course you cannot call until Monday! At least for the moment I just have Shuggah and it’s doing everything I need it to do. However, you can’t just carry on in this situation because at some point, you need Libre in order to fulfil NHS requirements and have data uploaded to LibreView! Anyone else on here in this situation with a new sensor and have any ideas?

Last edited:

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just as I feared, changing to a new sensor caused a nightmare! Immediately the 60 minute warmup finished and the sensor started working, it soon showed signal loss and loss of alarms! The only way to get a reading was to scan. Next the signal loss alarm kept going off and I could not get Shuggah to connect to the new sensor. It keept saying ‘scan successful’, then just said, ‘scanning’ and never changed to ‘connected’. Next, I tried deleting the Libre app, which was the new version, and had been working perfectly with my old sensor! I then reloaded the Libre app from my purchases as instructed, but that soon showed signal loss and I was back to square one! Worst of all, after deleting both Libre and Shuggah, and then reloading Libre, it still would not work other than with a scan of the sensor. Currently I have only Shuggah, having loaded it after deleting Libre again, and it is working perfectly. When you download Shuggah and go through the installation, you do get a warning that Bluetooth access for Libre must be denied. Yesterday with the old sensor I did not deny Libre access and yet both Libre and Shuggah worked fine. I have downloaded Libre again and denied Bluetooth access, but of course this just means the app doesn’t work! I’m now very confused and facing a call to Abbott, which I doubt will be of any use, and of course you cannot call until Monday! At least for the moment I just have Shuggah and it’s doing everything I need it to do. However, you can’t just carry on in this situation because at some point, you need Libre in order to fulfil NHS requirements and have data uploaded to LibreView! Anyone else on here in this situation with a new sensor and have any ideas?
No sorry,
But it f you get it resolved can you post on here how you managed it please, will be starting a new sensor next Monday

Lakeslover

Disable the Bluetooth in libre and enable it in Shuggah which should allow you to get Shuggah working.
in libre disable alarms (you can enable them in Shuggah). Then manually scan in libre app every 8 hours which will download your data and put it into libreview.

• Agree
Reactions: Bill_St and Antje77

kingsmac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No sorry,
But it f you get it resolved can you post on here how you managed it please, will be starting a new sensor next Monday
Well, right now, I’m back in the perfect position with both apps running full functionality. I wasn’t going to post anything until this had lasted for at least a couple of days, but since you ask, I’ll tell you what I’ve done, but I don’t actually know what it was that got it all working! I deleted both apps using the recommended method from within iPhone storage. I then reloaded Shuggah and this time I was able to get the sensor connected. I’ve no idea why it did connect this time and not on the many other times that I tried it, even with Libre deleted. You know it has worked because if you go into Bluetooth on your phone, from settings, you will see the Abbott sensor listed there. With sugar now working correctly, I again downloaded the Libre app and even chose to allow it to connect to Bluetooth! When I then opened the app, I scanned the sensor and it came up with no reading and said signal loss. I don’t know why but I did then scan a second time and this time the reading came on. I had remembered something about alarms and I went in and set them but turned off the signal loss alarm. Amazingly from that point both apps have worked correctly. Both are giving me high and low alarms and both are sending notifications to both my phone and my Garmin watch, although only Shuggah posts actual readings on my watch. This is something Abbott really must work on providing. So, right now, I am very happy but not looking forward to changing my sensor again in two weeks time! I would be delighted to hear of anyone else’s experiences, particularly if someone can isolate exactly what it is you need to do to get both to work together after activating a new sensor, because it’s clearly possible.

kingsmac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Disable the Bluetooth in libre and enable it in Shuggah which should allow you to get Shuggah working.
in libre disable alarms (you can enable them in Shuggah). Then manually scan in libre app every 8 hours which will download your data and put it into libreview.
How do you disable Bluetooth in the Libre app without actually entirely deleting the app?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do you disable Bluetooth in the Libre app without actually entirely deleting the app?
Go to settings on your phone. Scroll down to LibreLink, click, then toggle Bluetooth off

kingsmac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Both the Libre and Shuggah apps are still working perfectly for me, and both have Bluetooth enabled! Long may it continue. Hopefully it will get through the next two weeks until the fun and games of again switching to a new sensor. Has anyone else had real difficulty getting their Libre 2 sensor to connect to the Shuggah Bluetooth? Does anybody know of a method that achieves this with ease?

Reactions: Modean987