Issue with Libre - blank screen

kingsmac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Curly, I have an iPhone 8 and it works perfectly with the watch. Kingsmac, I think that you're right but from experience I can say that the app appears to work best if you do not link your Novopen. I wonder if it matters which smartphone you use. As I understood it the problems only persisted on iPhones.
I’m using an iPhone 12 Pro Max and it works really well with my Garmin watch. The screen is very big which is very helpful and the battery is good as well, but it is a little on the large and heavy side; still, you can’t have everything! Yes, it was an iOS issue so only iPhones were affected.

Last edited:

holdem

From my understanding. DVLA don’t take a flash or CGM reading as valid. Especially if the driver is hypo unaware using it as a “prompt. They won’t accept that as “fitness to drive..”
Through it don’t hurt to have a heads up display with the sat nav, the driver still needs proof if a meter test 2 hours within getting behind the wheel of a vehicle & every 2 during a journey, driving..

There is also a “lag” with sensors coming back up. So a meter is a safer gauge, even if you feel OK but the sensor says “not.”

Through, it is good to have a well calibrated heads up display on the dash…

I’ll tag in @searley & @urbanracer . I’m confident they can clarify, either way…
cheers i feel it changed but i find all the wording confusing but i have found these

and

the key part i take from the second link is

"Group 1​

These systems may be used for monitoring glucose at times relevant to driving Group 1 vehicles. Users of these systems must carry finger prick capillary glucose testing equipment for driving purposes as there are times when a confirmatory finger prick blood glucose level is required.

If using an interstitial fluid continuous glucose monitoring system (Flash GM or RT-CGM), the blood glucose level must be confirmed with a finger prick blood glucose reading in the following circumstances:

• when the glucose level is 4.0 mmol/L or below
  • when symptoms of hypoglycaemia are being experienced
  • when the glucose monitoring system gives a reading that is not consistent with the symptoms being experienced (for example, symptoms of hypoglycaemia and the system reading does not indicate this) - see the INF294 leaflet in Appendix D for further details"

I feel that this says that cgm is sufficient so long as you are hypo aware and test if below 4.0

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
From my understanding. DVLA don’t take a flash or CGM reading as valid. Especially if the driver is hypo unaware using it as a “prompt. They won’t accept that as “fitness to drive..”
Through it don’t hurt to have a heads up display with the sat nav, the driver still needs proof if a meter test 2 hours within getting behind the wheel of a vehicle & every 2 during a journey, driving..

There is also a “lag” with sensors coming back up. So a meter is a safer gauge, even if you feel OK but the sensor says “not.”

Through, it is good to have a well calibrated heads up display on the dash…

I’ll tag in @searley & @urbanracer . I’m confident they can clarify, either way…

My understanding is changes were made that make cgm suitable to use for group 1 (cars etc). But not group 2

States the detail and when you must use a finger prick

Importantly it states if you are not hypo aware you can not use the alarms only to alert you so must stop driving and notify dvla

Reactions: Bill_St and Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
cheers i feel it changed but i find all the wording confusing but i have found these

and

the key part i take from the second link is

"Group 1​

These systems may be used for monitoring glucose at times relevant to driving Group 1 vehicles. Users of these systems must carry finger prick capillary glucose testing equipment for driving purposes as there are times when a confirmatory finger prick blood glucose level is required.

If using an interstitial fluid continuous glucose monitoring system (Flash GM or RT-CGM), the blood glucose level must be confirmed with a finger prick blood glucose reading in the following circumstances:

• when the glucose level is 4.0 mmol/L or below
  • when symptoms of hypoglycaemia are being experienced
  • when the glucose monitoring system gives a reading that is not consistent with the symptoms being experienced (for example, symptoms of hypoglycaemia and the system reading does not indicate this) - see the INF294 leaflet in Appendix D for further details"

I feel that this says that cgm is sufficient so long as you are hypo aware and test if below 4.0
If you ever get breathalysed whilst parked low raiding the glovebox?
Ask em to wait a good hour till you come up.
Hypos (apparently.) have been known to throw up false positives on the breath test. I found this out years later after an incident in the late 1980s where i compliantly & confidently blew into one, red lighted & requested down the nick.. I was released after blowing in the big machine..

They only stopped because they thought I was trying to rob my own car…

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77 and Bill_St

kingsmac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So after a few days now of running Libre and Shuggah alongside each other and finding Shuggah to be consistently the more accurate, I did have a situation last night where this changed. In spite of injecting plenty of rapid insulin before a relatively low carbohydrate dinner, my BG unusually rose steadily, reaching a peak 90 minutes later of 12.2 on Libre, 11.5 on Shuggah. A finger prick showed 11.5. From this point, BG fell quite steadily, and soon Libre was showing lower than Shuggah, generally by 0.5 and finger pricks were the same as Libre. Once my BG had settled at around 5mmol at 10:30pm, the readings went back to what I had generally experienced, with Libre being higher by about 0.8 and finger pricks being close to what Shuggah showed. So it seems that while Shuggah is generally the more accurate, Libre might be the most accurate in a situation where BG is falling quite quickly. As my new sensor has fully settled in, the gap between the two apps in readings has narrowed, it is currently 0.7 with Shuggah the lower and in line with finger pricks. I don’t usually do so many finger pricks, but I’ve been doing them for the purpose of this comparison.

Last edited:

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve noticed the only time libre reads lower than shuggah is after exercise, shuggah takes a little longer to show the drop, rest of the time it’s exactly the same as finger pricks
When I change the sensor next Monday I’m going to scan libre to start it as normal & when working turn the Bluetooth off start shuggah & then turn the Bluetooth back on, hopefully it’ll work

kingsmac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve noticed the only time libre reads lower than shuggah is after exercise, shuggah takes a little longer to show the drop, rest of the time it’s exactly the same as finger pricks
When I change the sensor next Monday I’m going to scan libre to start it as normal & when working turn the Bluetooth off start shuggah & then turn the Bluetooth back on, hopefully it’ll work
Thanks for this, that is exactly what I thought I would try when I next change my sensor. Please post how you get on when you try this. I’m pleased to have discovered that turning off Bluetooth is easy to toggle if you find the app within the app list in settings on the phone. Also good to see that, like me, you discovered Libre shows lower than Shuggah when BG is falling, like after exercise. I still can’t understand why the apps show different readings when they are obtaining data from the same sensor! Shuggah is amazingly accurate. Why, where you have reacted to my original post, does it show an ‘i’ next to your name?

Last edited:
Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

Francel

Hiya it’s a problem with the update, someone made a mistake ‍♀️ If you go onto the Libre website it gives you instructions on what to do. I’ve done it and even though the app isn’t working as it was I can check my levels

Yvonne18888

I have auto updates on - it’s fully updated. Even shut phone down and back on. Im on another libre specific forum and others having same issue - one deleted app and can’t find it now on App Store as you say. Having to go back to BG. Libre will need to replace these sensors taken off. Last time I called their helpline it was exactly 57 mins !!

Yvonne18888

My husband has iphone 12 had same problem, white screen. He deleted app and used a new sensor but the app was deleted, so he couldn't re install, so he went into app store, into acct (top right) into apps purchased and down to the Libre 2 app and re installed. It is now working with continuous monitoring. So worth trying.

Reactions: Speedbird

PBarks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was writing posts yesterday I said that I had reinstalled Librelink many times but the last time I did it I turned on the alarms but did not link my Novopen as these seemed to be the trigger for the blank screen and I wanted to try and eliminate potential causes to find the real problem. I can now say that after 18 hours Librelink was working perfectly. I have just linked my Novopen and I am back to a blank screen. I will tell Abbott what has happened. I am now in the process of deleting and reinstalling the app, this time I will NOT link my Novopen. I hope that this helps others.

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77

rover44

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh! Now I'm worried since reading this thread, my libre 2 app auto updated a couple of days ago, saying it will give constant reading without scanning when I start a new sensor, started one this morning, so far so good but now holding my breath since reading this.
Another hiccup in my diabetic life, is the need for a new phone soon with bigger storage and getting a libre compatible one. As if we Don't have enough to deal with.

Trick753

Hi, I hope I am not broadcasting old news. same issue here, all sorted now though. I think it is an issue with iPhones. I deleted the app, then onto the App Store and clicked on my initials on the top right. Then clicked on purchased and the LibreLink app is there. Click on it to re download and all is fine. It is actually an improved app that monitors in real time so no need to actually scan every time.

oconnorbp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry not got back sooner, I'm on android but no problems. Only problem is sometimes libre app opens my mail or messages, suggest you check for update via Google play.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for this, that is exactly what I thought I would try when I next change my sensor. Please post how you get on when you try this. I’m pleased to have discovered that turning off Bluetooth is easy to toggle if you find the app within the app list in settings on the phone. Also good to see that, like me, you discovered Libre shows lower than Shuggah when BG is falling, like after exercise. I still can’t understand why the apps show different readings when they are obtaining data from the same sensor! Shuggah is amazingly accurate. Why, where you have reacted to my original post, does it show an ‘i’ next to your name?
The Libre has a greater lag reduction algorithm so oFten is more accurate in rapid change.

Reactions: kingsmac

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not so I'm afraid, lots of android users in exactly the same position. No reply from Abbott's about when it will be fixed, and more importantly why isn't the previous app version been made available to get folks running again... beyond belief
Those with android can download Juggluco .com . It has similar features to Shuggah and can work in parallel with the LibreLink app.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Completely agree - this functionality is a complete revelation and why on earth has Abbott not been offering it when they are basically supplying the majority of type 1s in the country?! Smacks of complacency. They have the business in their pocket and why bother. These Shuggah notifications amazing for pre blousing, just eating my breakfast now timed to perfection as the glucose curve starts trending strongly downwards but before it’s in free fall
The accuracy of both LibreLink and Shuggah, and indeed Juggluco .com, all vary a little due to different lag reduction algorithm. Not that 1 or 2 mmol will make much difference if levels are swinging markedly. Not worth considering different readings, and certainly not with blood sticks! The differences in insulin efficacy give far greater concerns.