"It's the thought that counts"...

dorcas61

Dislikes
Bad manners, bullying
... or so said a fellow-Diabetic at work, when I ranted about the insensitivity/stupidity of my manager for giving me a chocolate easter egg - and not a mini or cream egg, it was a normal size one, containing 780 calories and 92g of carbs!

But what kind of thought could have been in her head, that she thinks it would have been acceptable?
She knows I'm Diabetic, and at Christmas gave me a pretty bottle of hand cream instead of chocolate - yet today presented me with above-mentioned egg as if it were a pot of gold, then got upset when I said "No thank you, I'm struggling with my Diabetes at the moment so I'd better not" - and implored me to take it - which, reluctantly, I did, then as soon as she'd gone and I'd checked the ingredients label I offered it to a colleague who has 3 children - if I'd kept it on my desk the temptation to eat it would have been horrible, and my blood sugar levels would have rocketed.

Does this happen to others?
How do you deal with it?
Are a manager's feelings more important than my/your health?

I'm used to saying no when colleagues offer birthday cake etc, and no-one else has been upset or urged me to take a piece, they accept that I either can't or will only have a small piece, depending how I'm feeling - but how to deal with someone who gets upset when I politely say no - help!

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
dorcas
could it be a leading offer for you to comment on ?
maybe theres more to the chocolate egg than you think!!!!!!!!!!!!
It could be diabetic friendlt jelly baby's .
Either way happy easter.
JF :lol: :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
dorcas,

I personally would have taken the egg and said ''thank you''. At the end of the day you could choose to eat it in very small amounts over a period of days or weeks or give it away as a gift to family or friends, its not really worth getting all fired up about or falling out with anyone.

Nigel

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with Nigel - and for me, yes it is the thought that counts - - smile and say thank you how lovely - then recycle either to friends family or charity. - the Salvation Army are a good one to pass unwanted food stuffs onto.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I agree with Nigel and Sid. It is the thought that counts even if it isn't what you really want. I've lost count of the 'gifts' from people which I have had that end up in Charity Shops or the bin......I wouldn't dream of offending the giver by refusing or returning them. Just me...... :)

dorcas61

Dislikes
Bad manners, bullying
You must all have wills of iron!

I knew that if I took the egg I would have scoffed it all in one go, so I wanted to refuse it (and I did so politely!) in order to save myself from high blood sugar levels. Other colleagues have no problem with a polite refusal.

And that's my point - should we risk giving in to a binge, or risk hurting someone's feelings?

If someone knows I'm Diabetic, and offers me chocolate, shouldn't they be prepared for a polite refusal?

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If they know you are diabetic, then it is an inappropriate gift. I suppose they didn't want to upset you by not getting you a gift, but something else could have been found.

I'm wheat intollerant so get out of many of the cakes that go round my office, its a good one when you don't want to eat the cakes but don't want to broadcast that you are diabetic.

Maybe the response to something like this is 'No thanks, I'm sugar intollerant'!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My hubby complained at work when one year the Managers were all sent a chocolate pyramid of 7 huge boxes of chocolate stacked up on top of each other. All bought by an overweight chocolate loving person!!!!! Yes, it was a nice thought, but thankfully since we have had much more suitable Christmas Hampers instead.

I believe in saying thank you, but I also believe that me presonally I would not buy a recovering alcoholic a box or bottle of alcohol.....Yes, it is nice to get presents, but thoguhtful ones would be a lot better. Otherwise we would all be wearing horrible knitted jumpers all year given to us by our mothers!!!!! I and my husband (hubby not diabetic) prefer to be honest and open. Hubby spoke up to the Buyer of the 7 stacking chocolate pyramid boxes when he never had to, but he thought it was a totally wrong gift (as did other managers), and one that was obviously what the actual purchaser liked!!!!!! If he hadn't spoken up, the Managers would still be having the pyramids of chocolate, but now the hampers are much more favoured (and flavoured!!!!).

jaykay

One of the girls in my singing group bought me a big box of wine gums for my birthday as she knew I didn't eat chocolate as I was diabetic :lol: She's a bright girl but just didn't 'get it'. I said thanks, I couldn't eat them but my son and husband love wine gums so I would take it for them. Absolutely no point in getting upset.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
jaykay said:
I couldn't eat them but my son and husband love wine gums so I would take it for them.

Mmmm..........wine gums! :D I too would have give them away but kept the black ones back for myself......my favourite by far! :wink:

Nigel

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
It's tricky, my Mum is diabetic (as am I) she got a box of chocolates from her employers (through the post) she said as a diabetic they really haven't thought about her Xmas present, which I agree with. But, to be fair if employers treated people differently would it be seen as favouritism? I haven't worked for a while now & only recently diagnosed but if in this position I'd probably check it all over for cards etc then pretend to be a real generous nice bloke to a barmaid who serves me regularly or something! Hopefully making them feel appreciated while ensuring I get served quickly in future too!

dorcas61

Dislikes
Bad manners, bullying
Gappy said:
But, to be fair if employers treated people differently would it be seen as favouritism?

In this case, buying a different, non-chocolate gift for staff such as myself and your Mum would not be favouritism, it would be a manager showing sensitivity!

Sometimes one has to treat people differently in order to treat them all with respect... :)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Gifts from a manager???

You've got it easy! :wink: