I've lost 3 stone in 3 month

Ian2477

Hi everyone.Ive been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes for about 2 month now.I had all the symptoms...thirst,night time trips to the toilet,blurred vision and weight loss.I was about 14.5 stone but had dropped to 13 stone.The doc said it was due to diabetes.Since being diagnosed I've given up coca cola and started running.Ive also been on metformin since being diagnosed.I was weighed yesterday and I'm now down to 11 stone 7lbs. It's apparently the perfect weight for my height.My BMI is also perfect.But should I be alarmed at such a rapid drop in weight?Also could the metformin of caused this weight loss?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How are your blood sugar readings? Were you trying to lose the weight or has it just happening without you really trying?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you were inactive and drinking lots of full sugar coca cola than the weight loss could be down to changing that.

Ian2477

How are your blood sugar readings? Were you trying to lose the weight or has it just happening without you really trying?
Blood sugar is coming down.When I was diagnosed it was very high at 98.Now it's down to the low 60s.Ive tweaked a few things.I don't eat many carbs now and I'm a bit more active.I read somewhere that metformin can cause weight loss as a side effect.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blood sugar is coming down.When I was diagnosed it was very high at 98.Now it's down to the low 60s.Ive tweaked a few things.I don't eat many carbs now and I'm a bit more active.I read somewhere that metformin can cause weight loss as a side effect.
Thats HbA1c but are you measuring yourself with finger pricks?
Metformin helped me lose weight by keeping me tied to the toilet but I gave it up pretty quickly..

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rapid, alarming weight loss combined with high blood glucose and extreme thirst are all symptoms of uncontrolled diabetes (usually type 1 diabetes).

Rapid beneficial weight loss, combined with 'normal'ish blood glucose levels, and no excessive thirst are symptoms that type 2 diabetics may experience on a low carb diet where their blood glucose is under control.

The best way to discover which of these best describes your situation is to test your blood glucose before eating and 2 hours after, using a home glucometer.

We can't diagnose anything here, since we aren't medical professionals and it is against the forum rules, but I suggest you have a look at the various different symptoms and consider which you are experiencing - and I would encourage any type 2 diabetic to be testing their blood glucose at home, so that they can monitor how their diet and lifestyle are affecting their blood glucose control.

Hope that helps. :)

Ian2477

Rapid, alarming weight loss combined with high blood glucose and extreme thirst are all symptoms of uncontrolled diabetes (usually type 1 diabetes).

Rapid beneficial weight loss, combined with 'normal'ish blood glucose levels, and no excessive thirst are symptoms that type 2 diabetics may experience on a low carb diet where their blood glucose is under control.

The best way to discover which of these best describes your situation is to test your blood glucose before eating and 2 hours after, using a home glucometer.

We can't diagnose anything here, since we aren't medical professionals and it is against the forum rules, but I suggest you have a look at the various different symptoms and consider which you are experiencing - and I would encourage any type 2 diabetic to be testing their blood glucose at home, so that they can monitor how their diet and lifestyle are affecting their blood glucose control.

Hope that helps. :)
I do test at home.My readings are usually between 5-8.My diabetic nurse has said the weight loss is a good thing and that I am now the perfect weight for my height.

Reactions: Antje77

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do test at home.My readings are usually between 5-8.My diabetic nurse has said the weight loss is a good thing and that I am now the perfect weight for my height.
Sounds like you are doing well then.. keep up the good work!

Reactions: Ian2477

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Going from high carb stodge to 'hard core' low carb I dropped at least that amount of weight in three months - I was so distressed by the 'cholesterol lowering' weightgain diet that I stopped stepping on the scales at all - my highest recorded weight was 264lb, but I was almost spherical at diagnosis.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went low carb and was started on Metformin on diagnosis in May ‘17 and lost 4 stone in the first four months so the same rate of weight loss as you @Ian2477 . I have gone on to lose a further 2 1/2 stone since then.
There are a couple of people that I know of who may have some tips on how to maintain weight whilst staying low carb now you’ve reach a healthy BMI. I’ll tag in @shelley262 and @Goonergal for you.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I’ve now maintained a healthy weight and bmi of 19 for more than a year. On achieving my desired hbaca1 - 30 at the time -and weight loss of around 5 stones through a low carb - less than 20g of carb a day - highish fat way of eating (I did hold back a bit on fat as I wanted my body to use its own fat stores whilst losing my excess )and intermittent fasting I came off the Metformin which was increasingly difficult for me to tolerate, with digestive issues, and DN advised that I didn’t need it any more for my bgs. I set myself a minimum and maximum weighttarget so I could monitor each week if I was slowly gaining or losing too much. Trick I feel is to experiment with adding more nutritious food that dosent put up your bgs but keeps your weight stable. For me that involves adding more fat - olive oil, cream, yoghurt, cheese, fatty meat and fish and to some extent nuts ( for me these need caution as although lowish carb per 100g can be too many carbs if lots eaten!)
Hope this helps sounds like you are doing really well and going in right direction,

Reactions: Ian2477 and Rachox