1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Ivor Cummins Explains Everything Cholesterol

Discussion in 'Community Submitted Guides & Links' started by Indy51, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Ooh, don't think I've seen this one. Let me grab a coffee....

Edited to add.

A*** Fantastic chat. It seems that my first and overall decision to not worry about cholesterol was right (more luck than knowledge). Ivor echoes Sikaris' view that the science is as yet incomplete.
    My understanding is that the standard lipid panel even if given in its entirety still only speaks of markers or proxy markers and Ivor's mention of other variables being involved stirs the pot further.

The reluctance by the 'industry' to use the CAC scan shows how deeply embedded is the greed for profit in some quarters.

• Like Like x 1
    #2 Guzzler, Aug 15, 2018 at 8:18 AM
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  3. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Hi @Indy51 I hope you don't mind but Ivor posted this up this evening and it is pertinant to the above in that he goes into detail about the CAC scan. It seems to be the first in a two part presentation and is about 20 mins.

I ordered the book earlier today based on the chat you posted showing a couple of graphics, I'm just hoping there are no diagrams of the Krebs cycle, that stuff makes my eyes bleed. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Fascinating thanks for posting this learning so much thank you
    @DJC3 you may find this interesting

• Like Like x 2
  5. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Thank you for tagging me, Much appreciated, I’ll take a look tomorrow.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

Adding Part 2 of Ivor's talk on CAC posted above by @Guzzler

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Thanks Indy. Really helps to listen to these new presentations because Ivor constantly refers to emerging evidence, I was especially interested in what he was saying about vegi oils (at around the 25 min mark) and its effects wrt sunburn and Unilever (what, Big Food knew about how unhealthy they were/are for decades, whoda thunk?). Triple A star again.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

Another one! Part One Q&A Session:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook