Just been diagnosed

Jadieae

Hi all,

I know this probably makes me sound so selfish but I just can’t stop worrying about getting diabetes after pregnancy!! I am trying my hardest with the diet and my readings after lunch are coming up as 9.2! So looks like I will probably be put on metformin does this put me at a higher risk for getting type 2 after I’ve had baby.... since I found out about the gestational diabetes I can’t help but feel really low and worried about my health and babies! :(!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Reactions: Jadieae

mouseee

It does put you at higher risk but you are in a strong position to take steps to avoid it in the future.
Forewarned is forearmed. You can keep an eye on your carb intake and stay fit and healthy and that'll stand you in good stead.

In the meantime, keep doing what you're doing. Taking metformin isn't going to up the chances of diabetes later but it will help you reduce blood sugar and that will stop you worrying a bit.

Keep on the forum for advice on eating, are you eating Low Carb? There's plenty of advice on here and it has an amazing effect on bs very quickly.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I did not get a diagnosis during pregnancy, I was low carbing all during that time, and the babies were over 9lb at birth.
I honestly think that it was a very good thing for the offspring to have me low carbing when they were at home, they are both tall and slender, they did very well at school - my son is well over 6 ft tall, my daughter is tall too.
Now that I am past retirement I get my buss pass checked by every new driver on our route, my hair is still dark and I am becoming thinner little by little - it would have been good for me if I had been diagnosed earlier, and not been encouraged so vigorously to avoid fat and eat carbs, but long term, it isn't so bad at all to have been sensitive to carbs for so long.

Jadieae

Hi!

I’ve been having 2 slices of brown toast for breakfast which is making my readings really high I think yesterday I had the toast and it showed 8.5 then I had a ham sandwich which showed 9.4 in the evening I had a chicken and halloumi salad which was 4.9... my fasting this morning was 4.9 and I had the toast again just tested and shot up to 10.9!! Not sure what I’m doing wrong should I cut out the bread?

Can stress also affect my blood sugars because I am feeling overwhelmed with everything I was stressed before the gestational diabetes and now I am even more. I dread taking my blood sugars actually makes me a bit tearful doing it. Sorry if I’m sounding like such a drama queen I have never been good with dealing with stress!

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi!

I’ve been having 2 slices of brown toast for breakfast which is making my readings really high I think yesterday I had the toast and it showed 8.5 then I had a ham sandwich which showed 9.4 in the evening I had a chicken and halloumi salad which was 4.9... my fasting this morning was 4.9 and I had the toast again just tested and shot up to 10.9!! Not sure what I’m doing wrong should I cut out the bread?

Can stress also affect my blood sugars because I am feeling overwhelmed with everything I was stressed before the gestational diabetes and now I am even more. I dread taking my blood sugars actually makes me a bit tearful doing it. Sorry if I’m sounding like such a drama queen I have never been good with dealing with stress!
Woa, calm down! You're a new mom and you're dealing with a lot right now, so no, you are absolutely NOT a drama queen! Okay? Good. Not saying you should freak out or anything, but the way you're feeling is absolutely normal, anyone would in your position. You've found this place though, and there's masses of help here.

Now, as others mentioned GD usually indicates you have a predisposition for T2. The GD didn't cause it, it just showed up because the predisposition was already there. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ explains about food in relation to your bloodsugars (and yeah, they are a tad high, but nothing too horrible just yet, so... You can actually fix this!), and as you noticed, bread does impact bloodsugars, as do a lot of other things. Spuds, rice, pasta, corn, cereal, porridge, fruit, but yes, also stress and not sleeping well. But if you fix your diet, you fix your bloodsugars. You just need to know what the hurdles are.

Keep in mind that if you do go low carb/high fat, and you're breastfeeding, (dunno if you are, but just in case) you might not want to go under 50 grams of carbs a day. You're not keeping all the nutrients to yourself after all, and you and/or the baby might not get quite enough of what's needed, otherwise.

You'll be okay. Breathe. Take some time to go over the blogpost, go over your groceries, which still are okay for you and which need replacing, and go from there. You're not a T2 yet, and you might well still avoid it all together. Just takes a bit of a diet change is all.

Hugs,
Jo

Jadieae

Thank you everyone! Been so friendly and helpful. I suppose I just need to see what works for me and my bloods! Thanks again for all your help xx

Mumof123

Hi, I'm new to this forum . Please help me to find the right answer.

Im developed gestational diabetes during this pregnancy which is third. I am in my pregnancy at 31 week at the moment . Im on testing 4 times a day my sugar levels for the last two weeks now . Diet really does the job for me , all of my sugar level readings hour after meals average 6.5 but only morning fasting readings is up and down for the last two weeks between lowest being 4.9 to highest 6.2 mmol/L .
My baby grows normally so far, last scan was at 28 week. Seeing a diabeties nurse she has advise me (based on my morning fasting readings being up and down) to start taking Metformin one tablet in the evening with my dinner .
I really would like to wait for my next 32 week scan and see if baby at risk growing big . What should I do ? Should I start on Metformin immediately ? If I won't take Metformin and my baby normal in size , will it still be problems or risks to my baby ?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I know this probably makes me sound so selfish but I just can’t stop worrying about getting diabetes after pregnancy!! I am trying my hardest with the diet and my readings after lunch are coming up as 9.2! So looks like I will probably be put on metformin does this put me at a higher risk for getting type 2 after I’ve had baby.... since I found out about the gestational diabetes I can’t help but feel really low and worried about my health and babies! :(!

Maybe well out of line here....

But i hear a mum worried about their child.
it's the Lioness in women.

Fierce and protective of your young.
BUT you have to able to protect them... and THAT
means sometimes you HAVE to look after you first.

because if YOU fall sick, who looks after the Little one..?

so selfish..NO..Never.
Careful, thoughtful, concerned...yes

i'll leave the advise to diet to those more qualified to discuss,
but i know that you will do what you have to do, ( like so many ladies on here have )
to make yourself as fit & healthy as possible, so you can to be the best MUM you can be.

Wishing you and your baby all the very best.

Possumtail

I had gestational diabetes with my second child only. Not the first or my third pregnancy. 34 yrs later I’m now type 2 I’m eating accordingly to a adjusted Keto diet as I’m practically vegetarian and gluten and dairy intolerant. Two years ago I lost 10 kilos. This year I came of medication and I’m diet controlled.
my best advice is to stop worrying, concentrate on reading labels to make sure you eat the right way. Test yourself as advice by your doctor. Enjoy your pregnancy and baby.