1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Just been for my second blood test.

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Mollyc1995, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Mollyc1995

Mollyc1995 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So I had my second blood test today to confirm if I have diabetes or not....I mentioned in my first post I was told my number was 8.4, which was my hba1c result I think converted the new way it’s 68mmol/mol....so I am very nervous now they said they should get my results back tomorrow.
    I have been testing my glucose levels and on average the past week and a half it’s been 6.3 mmol/L and today it was 5.3, 3 weeks ago it was a little higher so I know I’m getting it lower and losing weight, I’ve now lost 8 pounds in 3 weeks.

Has anyone had a second blood test (in the space of weeks) where the second one has been lower?
    I have heard stress can raise blood glucose levels and over the past 8 months I’ve struggled with anxiety and so much stress due to a really bad family issue....

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Flora123

Flora123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. Well done on your weight loss and lowering your readings. In answer to your question about the second test, yes mine had dropped by 15 because I was already going lowing my carbs dramatically. By my following Hba1c three months later it was 36!

I’m not the best person to advise as I’m relatively new here myself but someone more experienced will be along soon.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Yes, it is often the case when people make changes to their lifestyles that results can show in a remarkably short time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

I had an HbA1c Test just a week or so back. And the result was a good downward drop. I am going to try and get another one 6months from now. Special request though it might get turned down. In the meantime I am watching secondary indicators including blood pressure and weight amongst other things. At the moment they are heading in the same direction i.e. down.

5. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

The HbA1c is a sort of average over the previous 2 to 3 months, but it is weighted towards the last 2 to 4 weeks of that period, so you may see a drop. Keep up your good work and it will drop much more before your next test.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Mollyc1995

Mollyc1995 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My first blood test was 3 weeks ago, so unsure how different the number will be

7. Flora123

Flora123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My initial drop of 15mmol was in only a week. You may be pleasantly surprised if you’ve been reducing your carbs. Wait and see. It is agony I know

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Caeseji

Caeseji Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Can confirm that you can see dramatic results in just a few months, I went from a 114 mmol to 41 within 2 months, it's a wait I know but you're doing right by yourself right now. I really do hope that it comes out being a good number for you!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Hi Molly
    Between my first and second tests I'd been lucky enough to find this place and the reading went from 87 mmol/m 13 Oct 2015 to 70 mmol/m 30 Oct 2015 so it can be done. I was a little extreme though and cut almost all carbs and skipped breakfast entirely for that 2 week period.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Listlad

That illustrates how rapidly it works.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Yep some intermittent fasting and ultra low carb seem to get the fastest results in my experience.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Listlad

I hadn’t read your stats that closely. Sped read them. So it wasn’t apparent to me how quickly yours had come down in such a short space of time. This is what surprised me about my own reading just after 5 weeks of dietary change - it happened quicker than I expected.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook