Just Diagnosed. What Now?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As suspected, my blood tests have confirmed Diabetes. I’ve been reading loads of information and it’s all quite bewildering. My clinic appointment isn’t for weeks!

Is this all as scary as it seems? Carb management sounds like a nightmare and I don’t want my feet amputated!

Tips for a newbie? I feel a bit doomed at the moment!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the Forum!
First let me tag in @daisy1 for her useful welcome info post.
If you can provide a little more info we can help you, so don’t panic, we’ve all been where you are now and recognise how bewildered and scared you feel. So do you know your HbA1c result, that’s the blood test used to diagnose diabetes? Have you been started on any meds? Have you had any dietary advice?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tip one
Go to www.dietdoctor.com and check out their recipes and food advice.
Tip two
If it comes out of a packet rather than being made of fresh ingredients then avoid it
Tip three
If its mostly stodge and especially stodge and sugar then keep well away.

Follow those three and you won't go too far wrong.
Read and digest Daisy's post and come back and ask us some questions after reading around for a bit.

Hello and welcome by the way..

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the Forum!
First let me tag in @daisy1 for her useful welcome info post.
If you can provide a little more info we can help you, so don’t panic, we’ve all been where you are now and recognise how bewildered and scared you feel. So do you know your HbA1c result, that’s the blood test used to diagnose diabetes? Have you been started on any meds? Have you had any dietary advice?

I’ve not been given any figures from blood tests and have been given no dietary information. Just told not to worry! My first appointment is August 6th so I’m assuming I’ll get battered with information then. No meds at the moment.

I’ve not actually been feeling unwell and had gone in with something unrelated, so I’m really hoping I can control this with diet. I love sweet stuff and bread, and it looks like I’ll be knocking those on the head!

Will I be given equipment to test my own blood sugar or am I jumping the gun?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks lovely. I need to lose weight anyway so stodge and sugar are out. Recipes are most welcome. I’ve been pescatarian/veggie for over 30 years, which would sound ideal if it wasn’t for my love of sugar.

Reactions: Prem51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will I be given equipment to test my own blood sugar or am I jumping the gun?

Depends completely on your GP / Diabetes Nurse whoever you end up seeing.
As does the dietary advice you get. Complete lottery as to whether it will be any use or not I'm afraid.
I tested my blood sugars multiple times at the start to see the foods that make then go up and then removed those foods from my way of eating.
For that you need a meter and test strips which if you can afford them will be a godsend and an enlightening experience.

I have this one
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/

(or telephone: 01923 711511)

for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98

The cost of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets.

For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:

5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £29.49

10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £58.98

Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on your meter or strips. For the bulk discount on strips for the SD Codefree, you need to complete the order (check the boxes to confirm that you are diabetic and the number of packs that you want). Then click on view basket and on the left hand side of the window you will see two boxes .. Coupon Code and Apply Coupon. Enter the relevant discount code in the first box and then click the Apply Coupon box. This applies the discount and adjusts the price .. and finally, you then proceed to checkout.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I’ve not actually been feeling unwell and had gone in with something unrelated, so I’m really hoping I can control this with diet. I love sweet stuff and bread, and it looks like I’ll be knocking those on the head!

I've read similar stories so many times on this forum. You walk in with one condition, and come out with T2. I consulted my GP for a wonky knee 13 years ago and was diagnosed with T2. The knee is still wonky, and I had to give up riding my pushbike.
You can still have sweet stuff, but the main difference is that you'd better make them yourself from now on. Here's an example, and there are many on dietdoctor.com. https://thebigmansworld.com/2018/02...w-carb-keto-mug-cakes-paleo-vegan-sugar-free/

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@PourSomeSugarOnMe

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: PourSomeSugarOnMe

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My god, they look lovely! Thanks!

Sorry about your wonky knee. I’m still skating despite the spinal injuries but I know my skating days are numbered.
You're welcome :) Sorry to hear about your spinal injuries though. Skating sounds like fun, so I hope those numbered days are still far away.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @PourSomeSugarOnMe welcome to the group. As mentioned try not to panic we are all here to help. You are in the right place for help, advice and support, so any questions ask away. We have all been where you are at the moment and know how you feel. with the help from members on here you will be fine. :)

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Welcome to the forum @PourSomeSugarOnMe. We have all been where you are now and found our own answers to the problems that diabetes poses. It is unlikely that you will be given a meter to test your bg, so most t2 self fund. The trick is to look at the cost of the strips - they become the most expensive part over time. Some people do not need to lose weight others struggle with either weight or exercise or both and these are important if you want to keep in control and on minimum medication. The problem with t2 is if you change nothing then it will progress. If you change your life then it may slow or stop progressing. Have a read around the forum then make a start today. It really is interesting to find out more about your own body, remember we are all different and we all make choices so one size does not fit all. Good luck.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you have a sweet tooth, Google fat bombs. I make chocolate mug cake, it takes about 70 seconds in the microwave. The quantity is too much for one, I split the mixture into 2 ramakins. One can be kept in the fridge. Serve with double cream.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I love sweet stuff and bread, and it looks like I’ll be knocking those on the head!
Hi @PourSomeSugarOnMe and welcome to the forum. Don't get stressed, you aren't about to lose your feet and you are not doomed!
Many of us on here have found we can control our blood glucose levels by adopting a Low Carbohydrate High Fat (lchf) approach to eating. Have a read round the threads to see how it works and ask any questions you want.
As a Type 2 diabetic you are unlikely to be given a blood glucose meter or prescription for testing strips, unless you are prescribed insulin or another medication which has to be balanced against what you eat.
You should find out what your HbA1c test results are so you know where you are starting from. Your GP surgery is supposed to have online access to your test results, but you have to ask them for access. If they don't have online access you should ask for a printout of the test results which you are entitled to.

There are sweet alternatives to sugar. I like OPPO icecream which is low carb and available in Waitrose, Holland & Barrett, and larger Sainsburys. Dark chocolate with a high cocoa content (70% or more) is lower carb than milk chocolate.
And you can find Burgen Soya & Linseed bread in most supermarkets which is the lowest carb mass produced bread. Or make low carb bread substitutes yourself.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
As suspected, my blood tests have confirmed Diabetes. I’ve been reading loads of information and it’s all quite bewildering. My clinic appointment isn’t for weeks!

Is this all as scary as it seems? Carb management sounds like a nightmare and I don’t want my feet amputated!

Welcome - you are in exactly the right place. Follow the guidance above and you'll be on the right path. It isn't easy and sometimes it is frustrating. You'll make mistakes but it is a learning process and every day you follow the guidance is a day you are not making things worse - so in time it gets better.
I'm about 2 months in, and I recently wrote a blog on my first 50 days post diagnosis - you can find it in the blog section. It is by no means as helpful as the advice above but it might give you something to relate to as you make sense of it all. Before too long you'll be the one helping other newbies get a hang of things.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As other have said - don't panic. Amputations and such like only happen to those who ignore diet and meds where needed. Yes, have alow-carb diet with enough proteins and fats to keep you feeling full. Avoid 'empty' carbs such as sugar, fructose and white flour and aim for those which contain fibre (complex carbs) when you do have them. You will almost certainly need to buy your own meter and strips. Ignore any NHS diet advice to follow the Eatwell Plate or carbs with every meal.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I was diagnosed at the end of May, no meds as I said I wanted to try low carbs.
I am on the lowcarbprogram - the initial learning part is 10 weeks but once you pay the signup fee you have it for life. A source of advice, recipes and support. I particularly like the food diary for keeping track of my carb target.

I have my own meter, and by 2 weeks in all my blood tests were down to the top end of the 'normal' range. They say low carb can put you into remission, and it seems to have worked for me.
My diabetic nurse is nice but pushed the 'Eatwell plate' - I know this isn't the right way for new type 2s on diet control so I just ignored that part.
I'm eating fats (the preferred ones) and enough protein but less than 90g carbs a day, I don't feel hungry and I've lost 1.5st already.

Apart from that, I've spent more time in clinics in the last 6 weeks than in the last few years (I have other chronic conditions and a lengthy meds list, but none of that generates the same attention). Two more in the next few days then onto routine monitoring and checks ... but the good news is my eyes are fine!
(And it's the fear of losing my sight that will help keep me on track with lowcarb, and overcome my love of cakes and chocolate.)

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Many congratulations @TriciaWs !! It seems like you got your D under your control in a pretty short time and already are well clued up on how to manage the condition.
If you want some useful reading Reverse Your Diabetes by Dr David Cavan is a great primer on the subject. And The Piopii Diet by Dr Aseem Malhotra takes a wide ranging and detailed look at diabetes and diet as well as the impact of exercise and busts a few myths along the way. The final third of the book contains suggestion and recipes.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was also told I’m deficient in vitamin D. I’m reading some interesting stuff about this affecting blood sugar levels. Does anyone have experience of this?

Thank you to all you lovely people for all the encouragement and positivity. I really appreciate it and am taking everything on board. I haven’t told my family yet as I don’t want to panic them before I’ve got my head around it myself.

Reactions: Prem51

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Ah, the I'm-as-good-as-dead-already,-aren't-I feeling. I know it well. Turns out that T2 is the only chronic issue I have decent control over, and so can you. No idea what kind of assistance you'll get; someone who knows about low carbing or someone who'll stubbornly push the eatwell plate on you... But with the advice given so far, you'll come a long way. I started on low carb high fat 2 years ago, and due to the knowledgable people here, I progressed to a ketogenic diet with intermittent fasting, which suits me better. But it's an individual thing, we're all different with different levels of insulin-resistance and insulin production. Whatever path you choose, there's hope for a long, complication free life. With feet attached!