kerrygold Stocks?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy Lancashire Farms Greek Yoghurt. It is “Free Range”.

Could 'Lancashire Farms' produce enough for the whole country? Could all the free range producers together supply the whole of the UK?[/QUOTE]
Wales provides a significant amount of dairy products for the UK, and all the cows round my way are grass fed, as are the sheep and goats for cheeses and milk etc. There is a massive amount of dairy production in the UK. Much of the EU imports are for varieties of cheeses and other dairy produce we dont make here.

https://projectblue.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/Market Insight/Dairy_bitesize.pdf

Reactions: Listlad

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Could 'Lancashire Farms' produce enough for the whole country? Could all the free range producers together supply the whole of the UK?
Wales provides a significant amount of dairy products for the UK, and all the cows round my way are grass fed, as are the sheep and goats for cheeses and milk etc. There is a massive amount of dairy production in the UK. Much of the EU imports are for varieties of cheeses and other dairy produce we dont make here.

https://projectblue.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/Market Insight/Dairy_bitesize.pdf[/QUOTE]

So, take away all imports thereby stifling choice and let's be clear here, French cheese, Italian wine, American movies, Belgian chocolate, German beer, Spanish charcuterie etc etc are we to try to become self sufficient in all British versions of these things? We have to trade, we always have and tbh my choices have grown and grown in the last 30-40 years and I do not fancy a British version of Parmesano regianno.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone remember the y2k scares that amounted to little?

No matter what the outcome in parliament in the next few weeks (the countdown is now being published in hours btw) in a year the world will still be turning and supermarkets will have found ways to stock their shelves. Old ways or new ways to get things from elsewhere but it’ll happen. They’ll be lots, some or no disruption in the meantime but I’m not expecting to literally starve. Quite frankly I’m more likely to go insane waiting all out and listening to the constant panic. I am reaching the point of not caring and just want whatever is going to happen to happen and we all move forward from whatever point we are at then.

Having said all that I like to choose British and even more local when it’s reasonable and maybe in some industries at least this could all end up quite beneficial, in this instance to the dairy farmers that are left.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So, take away all imports thereby stifling choice and let's be clear here, French cheese, Italian wine, American movies, Belgian chocolate, German beer, Spanish charcuterie etc etc are we to try to become self sufficient in all British versions of these things? We have to trade, we always have and tbh my choices have grown and grown in the last 30-40 years and I do not fancy a British version of Parmesano regianno.
Agreed. But I am expecting the transition ( if it happens ) to be far from seamless. There will be winners and losers in the shorter term. Some in between might well not notice much difference.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Let me be clear, I did not say that choices would be curtailed because of the 'B' word. My point of contention was drawn against the suggestion that I or we should buy British goods as opposed to buying the goods we prefer wherever they are sourced. I prefer not to buy strawberries from Israel in November or green beans from Kenya etc because of the carbon footprint but this is a choice I can make and those who do buy those types of goods are free to make that choice. My preference in butter comes down to taste and price but if Kerrygold was sourced from Australia then that too would impact that choice.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are perfectly correct of course, and I am a great advocate of buying British. Always have been. However, I buy Kerrygold butter because it claims to be made from grass fed cows and I eat a LOT of butter. I haven't found a British butter that makes the same claims. If you know of one, please let me know.
@Bluetit1802

Can I ask why you eat a lot of butter? Is it because you use it to cook food in, for sauces and to bake with? And also is it with a LCHF diet in mind?

Reason I ask is as I have reduced my carb intake my skin in general has become significantly drier so my line of thinking is that upping the consumption of butter, for example, would help.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Does anyone remember the y2k scares that amounted to little?

No matter what the outcome in parliament in the next few weeks (the countdown is now being published in hours btw) in a year the world will still be turning and supermarkets will have found ways to stock their shelves. Old ways or new ways to get things from elsewhere but it’ll happen. They’ll be lots, some or no disruption in the meantime but I’m not expecting to literally starve. Quite frankly I’m more likely to go insane waiting all out and listening to the constant panic. I am reaching the point of not caring and just want whatever is going to happen to happen and we all move forward from whatever point we are at then.

Having said all that I like to choose British and even more local when it’s reasonable and maybe in some industries at least this could all end up quite beneficial, in this instance to the dairy farmers that are left.

I remember and of course the reason havoc did not ensue is adequate action was taken even so there were problems.
I also remember the Y2K+10 bug which was similar but were in Germany over 2 million bank cards became unusable. And other systems globally were affected.

D

Deleted member 308541

I also remember the Y2K+10 bug which was similar but were in Germany over 2 million bank cards became unusable. And other systems globally were affected.
The yk2 bug was a fizzer, as was the next so called yk2+ bug here in Australia and NZ.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bluetit1802

Can I ask why you eat a lot of butter? Is it because you use it to cook food in, for sauces and to bake with? And also is it with a LCHF diet in mind?

Reason I ask is as I have reduced my carb intake my skin in general has become significantly drier so my line of thinking is that upping the consumption of butter, for example, would help.
oh yes, when reducing carbs, upping fats is important. I use butter, full cream milk, olive oil, lard, and full fat everything

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
oh yes, when reducing carbs, upping fats is important. I use butter, full cream milk, olive oil, lard, and full fat everything
Yeah, thanks. I am not at the moment upping the fat in those kind of quantities. So that must be it then. It’s a bit difficult when I have been accustomed to doing the exact opposite.

You sure about the lard though? :D

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Here we go. Good old British dairy farming using free range grass fed methods. This one is in Lytham St Anne’s. I suspect there are a good many more. I was very surprised how much dairy farming there is in the region. A lot of people think of Lancashire in terms of heavy industry but there is so much on the way of dairy farming.

http://www.pembertonsfarmshop.co.uk/about-us/

So if you struggle to get hold of Irish butter and you live in the north west, fear ye not.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bluetit1802

It is with LCHF diet in mind and because we switched from using unhealthy vegetable oils for cooking. It is used for all cooking along with lard and goose or duck fat. We don't bake at all and aren't "saucy" people. ;) It is also used on vegetables instead of gravy, and lathered generously on my half slice of Burgen toast. Only animal fats in this house apart from the mayonnaise I use, which has rapeseed oil in it.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Francis Gimblett, artisan English cheese maker on Sky New just now says sourcing dairy is becoming more difficult because one small dairy provider goes out of business per day. He also says there are roughly 300 artisan cheese makers in the UK while France has 4500.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Francis Gimblett, artisan English cheese maker on Sky New just now says sourcing dairy is becoming more difficult because one small dairy provider goes out of business per day. He also says there are roughly 300 artisan cheese makers in the UK while France has 4500.
There are village specialty cheeses in France and German, we dont have that sort of culture (pun intended) over here for artisan cheeses.

Also, the small dairy providers go out of business as they are subsumed into the large corporate dairies, so the production continues, but the individually named and owned dairies dont. Arla own a lot of the smaller dairies and farms round here, who used to be family run independents.

As with all statistics and facts, its worth looking behind them to see what is actually happening.

Reactions: HSSS

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
There are village specialty cheeses in France and German, we dont have that sort of culture (pun intended) over here for artisan cheeses.

Also, the small dairy providers go out of business as they are subsumed into the large corporate dairies, so the production continues, but the individually named and owned dairies dont. Arla own a lot of the smaller dairies and farms round here, who used to be family run independents.

As with all statistics and facts, its worth looking behind them to see what is actually happening.

Facts. Remember the protests by dairy farmers, over a couple of days they bought up shelvefuls of milk at the supermarkets took it outside and either abandoned it or emptied it into the drains? It is known that the price they got for their milk did not cover the cost of producing it, they were constantly running at a loss.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Facts. Remember the protests by dairy farmers, over a couple of days they bought up shelvefuls of milk at the supermarkets took it outside and either abandoned it or emptied it into the drains? It is known that the price they got for their milk did not cover the cost of producing it, they were constantly running at a loss.
the dairy farms are not going out of business, they are being bought out by supermarkets and the like, and their farms are continuing to produce the same amount, but without the middle man ( the independent farmer) so the costs to the supermarket are reduced.

Fewer independent farms, but the same amount of production. I know this, i am surrounded by dairy farms, and live in a dairy farming area, talking to farmers at the local stock market sales etc.

I do not understand why you are insisting that the reality seen and experienced by several posters, including me, being posted up on here, is not correct.

Some of our dairy produce is being exported. if we stop the exports, that also increases the amount in the UK.

Reactions: Robinredbreast
M

Member496333

My local Sainsbury’s had a bunch of this in stock yesterday. Although I think I may be the only shopper in there who buys butter, anyway. Everyone else seems to prefer the heart healthy spreads. AKA industrial waste :shifty:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
the dairy farms are not going out of business, they are being bought out by supermarkets and the like, and their farms are continuing to produce the same amount, but without the middle man ( the independent farmer) so the costs to the supermarket are reduced.

Fewer independent farms, but the same amount of production. I know this, i am surrounded by dairy farms, and live in a dairy farming area, talking to farmers at the local stock market sales etc.

I do not understand why you are insisting that the reality seen and experienced by several posters, including me, being posted up on here, is not correct.

Some of our dairy produce is being exported. if we stop the exports, that also increases the amount in the UK.

Read back the thread, my point was choices, my choices after it was suggested I should buy British. The the conversation turned to supply. You have a different view, I suggest that there are people who hold contrasting views who are as close or closer to the industry that you are.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Bluetit1802