1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

"Keto Crotch" .. or why you should never believe anything you read any more..

Discussion in 'Ketogenic diet forum' started by bulkbiker, Mar 6, 2019.

1. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Fascinating twitter thread about the rise of "keto crotch" the problem that no-one has ever reported having

Link to content removed, due to the language and profanity contained therein. DCUKMod

Apparently the titter link has some mild profanity which breaks DCUK forum rules.. sorry I hadn't noticed.
    The guy who wrote the twitter thread is called John Zahorik so if you google his name along with twitter you should be able to find it. But watch out for the mild profanity if that is likely to offend. Thanks M

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #1 bulkbiker, Mar 6, 2019 at 8:53 AM
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  2. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I have it.... "Keto Crutch" - "a thing used for support or reassurance."

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

Now I know why I've always thought Ben Greenfield was an absolute ******- because he is. Tweets for sale, FFSo_O

• Winner Winner x 1
    #3 Indy51, Mar 6, 2019 at 9:50 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2019
  4. Rustytypin

Rustytypin Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

There have been a few "press" reports about this recently, I think there is a thread on here somewhere. I use the term press advisedly, as one report was from the Daily Fail.
    Anyhow it seem to be more females "reporting" a problem, no hard evidence.
    As a bloke who has been in ketosis for at least 4 months, I have not experienced any such thing, at least nobody has mentioned anything!

5. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Jackanory. Much like everything else doing the rounds in the anti-keto propagandasphere. Including most of the science. By science I mean sponsored statistical mumbo jumbo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bulkbiker

The Twitter thread shows that the whole thing has been "invented" and propagated by paid for reports from very few people.. it has then spread around the world and become a "thing" even though the "evidence" is thin if existent at all.. very frightening.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Spl@

[email protected] Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

What is frightening is what else is complete tripe in modern 'science' Just how much of our modern knowledge is biased or corrupted so badly by politics or commerse. It cannot be just keto?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Yes, same in the IT world, being a technologist I have seen what the big 3 in particular get up to, although Apple and Microsoft are playing nicely these days, in terms of cooperation.

9. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Errm,,,
    "dirty" keto ---> Keto Crotch??? :wacky:

(Sorry - my association of these two new terms gave me a good laugh...)

Robbity

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Dirty keto, is that when I don't wash my meat balls prior to eating them? :shifty:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Caeseji

Caeseji Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Why is it they have to keep on inventing new and outlandish claims just so the low fat crowd and big-pharma can keep profiteering off of us? Dirty keto crotch just honestly sounds twisted to me and now thanks to @Robbity that phrase is going to be repeating in my head at work today.

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This is funny and it should be pointed out that those with 'high carb crotches' are more likely to have thrush and infections 'down there' if their blood sugars are high.
    It seems it is frighteningly easy to invent a myth.
    Then there's the interesting human factor of our natural biases e.g. if I see a headline along the lines of coffee causes breast cancer I far more likely to be sceptical (being a female coffee addict). Ditto Keto Crotch which a sugar addict may take seriously if they are struggling with keto or low carb.
    Sometimes I load up YouTube with Vegan videoes just to correct my bias but often I'll stay in the comfort of my echo chamber.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. bulkbiker

My newest favourite tweet

Screenshot 2019-03-06 at 15.45.41.png

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Caeseji

Caeseji Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think I just gave my Gran the shock of her life with the snort that made me do.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I've just remembered from 5 years back when I was first attempting to get into ketosis, reading a comment - I believe in relation to the use of Ketostix - from a man who could smell his waste ketones when he was urinating. Obviously a very short term smelly, but maybe such reports would be enough to trigger all this keto crotch nonsense.

Disclaimer: for the record this is a mere observation and in no way intended as a justification, but it does show how things can get twisted and distorted. :banghead:

Robbity

PS I have a pair of doggy dedicated crotch sniffers who've never shown any interest in that part of my anatomy...

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. bulkbiker

Just saw this tweet.. interesting..
    Screenshot 2019-03-10 at 16.11.12.png

• Like Like x 1
  17. Pasha

Pasha Prediabetes · Expert

Could "KETO " make old men crotchety.?

18. AloeSvea

AloeSvea Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, thanks to this thread, I read the various articles that all seemed to blast the news around the western world at the beginning of March - I don't know how I missed them, let alone the local one online (NZH). Thank goodness for such a mercy?

It does in fact read like a bad dream, or a very strange food-detail in a dystopic-future movie - eating beans and grains ensures a healthy vagina, whereas fats and spices like tumeric, onions and garlic, does not. Well!

And the word 'stinky'! Ghastly word! As far as I could see it was entirely directed at we females - nothing at the blokey crotch. Supposed to be that a low carb diet with fat causes a gut-biome disruption that encourages infection was the idea behind it, if I read correctly. Eating spices and garlic and onions, coconut oil, and heaven forbid - animal products - as bad for vaginal health, and sensory aesthetics due to strong smelling food. Nothing about gut biomes being way-of-eating adapted, and all the complexity of that.

Yes, it does rather read like high-carb food-propaganda - agreed. Ditto for Anglo-Saxon dietary sensibilities. There was nothing about high blood sugars feeding candida, which low carb eating is the obvious dietary response/remedy, in the articles I read. Just that low-carb causes vaginitis, and a little flutter at the cause being a wonky gut biome. Not enough beans and grains.

Good grief.

A propaganda-hit below the belt for we spicey-food loving Keto women indeed.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook