1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Keto Diet help..

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by mhr, Dec 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. mhr

mhr Type 2 · Newbie

Hi. I'm 47 year old, T2 and on 2 Metformin daily and I'm thinking of going on a low carb Keto diet. Has anyone been on this diet and how long?
    I'm just worried about Ketoacidosis build up

I appreciate your help

2. ZedZeeZet

ZedZeeZet Type 2 · Active Member

Ketoacidosis shouldn't be confused with ketosis, which is harmless, which I think you are.
    My low carb diet has taken me from a Hba1C of 102 to 38 in 5 months. Thank you Dr Diabetes.co.uk!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum mhr!
    Many type 2s here eat low carb or keto diets with no ill effects, I’ve eaten 30 - 50g carbs per day for over two years. Being in nutritional ketosis is very different from diabetic ketoacidosis or DKA. Here’s more about it:
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/in-depth/nutritional-ketosis-vs-dka/
    Also as this is your first post on the forum I’ll post the link to our useful info:
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Excellent idea.
    Even better if you have a few pounds to lose.. do it ASAP.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I'm in ketosis. Perfectly fine, completely different thing from ketoacidosis. Diabetic Ketoacidosis is more of a T1 issue, when bloodsugars are really high, and ketones are too, and a person's blood turns acidic... T2's don't usually get it. I can wholeheartedly endorse a low carb diet, and even a keto diet, if you want to give it a go to control your bloodsugars. My HbA1c is usually between 33 and 35, no metformin or anything required. So yay for a low carb diet. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I've been eating a low carb/ketogenic diet for just over six years, and have never had dangerously high ketone levels.

As already suggested, don't confuse the perfectly safe and normal state of nutritional ketosis with ketoacidosis which is caused by very high glucose levels + very high ketone levels + very low levels of insulin.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Ketoacidosis isn't a substance which builds up, it is a state of having high glucose levels in the blood - usually - and high levels of ketones as the body is struggling to survive. It normally happens when a type one diabetic is low on insulin and is in a dire state.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mhr

mhr Type 2 · Newbie

I read on webMD quotes:
    "If you have uncontrolled diabetes, ketosis can become dangerous when ketones build up. High levels lead to dehydration and change the chemical balance of your blood. It becomes acidic and can cause a coma or death.

People with diabetes can get ketoacidosis, or diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), when they don't take enough insulin. They can also get DKA when they're sick or injured or they don't get enough fluids and become dehydrated.

Some people without diabetes can get ketoacidosis, too. It's caused by alcoholism, starvation, or an overactive thyroid. A healthy low-carb diet shouldn't cause a problem"

9. mhr

mhr Type 2 · Newbie

Thank you all for your help. Being a newbie Keto Diet, I appreciate it

• Like Like x 1
  10. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The majority of type 2 produce an excess of insulin already and newly diagnosed aren’t often taking exogenous insulin. These comments are aimed more at type 1 than type 2 and also refer to high glucose simultaneously which they describe as “uncontrolled”

11. Flora123

Flora123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Been in it for 18 months. Hba1c 112 to 36 in 3 months. Feel amazing. I had no weight to lose but manage to roughly maintain my weight. I’d definitely recommend trying it but do read up as much as you can.

12. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Eating a low carb diet is a powerful tool to control diabetes, restoring normality and well being.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook