Keto Diet help..

mhr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I'm 47 year old, T2 and on 2 Metformin daily and I'm thinking of going on a low carb Keto diet. Has anyone been on this diet and how long?
I'm just worried about Ketoacidosis build up

I appreciate your help

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum mhr!
Many type 2s here eat low carb or keto diets with no ill effects, I’ve eaten 30 - 50g carbs per day for over two years. Being in nutritional ketosis is very different from diabetic ketoacidosis or DKA. Here’s more about it:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/in-depth/nutritional-ketosis-vs-dka/
Also as this is your first post on the forum I’ll post the link to our useful info:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/in-depth/nutritional-ketosis-vs-dka/

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I'm 47 year old, T2 and on 2 Metformin daily and I'm thinking of going on a low carb Keto diet.
Excellent idea.
Even better if you have a few pounds to lose.. do it ASAP.

Reactions: mhr

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I'm 47 year old, T2 and on 2 Metformin daily and I'm thinking of going on a low carb Keto diet. Has anyone been on this diet and how long?

I appreciate your help
I'm in ketosis. Perfectly fine, completely different thing from ketoacidosis. Diabetic Ketoacidosis is more of a T1 issue, when bloodsugars are really high, and ketones are too, and a person's blood turns acidic... T2's don't usually get it. I can wholeheartedly endorse a low carb diet, and even a keto diet, if you want to give it a go to control your bloodsugars. My HbA1c is usually between 33 and 35, no metformin or anything required. So yay for a low carb diet. :)

Reactions: MillieT and mhr

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been eating a low carb/ketogenic diet for just over six years, and have never had dangerously high ketone levels.

As already suggested, don't confuse the perfectly safe and normal state of nutritional ketosis with ketoacidosis which is caused by very high glucose levels + very high ketone levels + very low levels of insulin.

4634daae4c879e457150ed4d83ecc342--ketogenic-lifestyle-ketogenic-diet.jpg

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I appreciate your help
Ketoacidosis isn't a substance which builds up, it is a state of having high glucose levels in the blood - usually - and high levels of ketones as the body is struggling to survive. It normally happens when a type one diabetic is low on insulin and is in a dire state.

Reactions: Robbity

mhr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I read on webMD quotes:
"If you have uncontrolled diabetes, ketosis can become dangerous when ketones build up. High levels lead to dehydration and change the chemical balance of your blood. It becomes acidic and can cause a coma or death.

People with diabetes can get ketoacidosis, or diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), when they don't take enough insulin. They can also get DKA when they're sick or injured or they don't get enough fluids and become dehydrated.

Some people without diabetes can get ketoacidosis, too. It's caused by alcoholism, starvation, or an overactive thyroid. A healthy low-carb diet shouldn't cause a problem"

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
when they don't take enough insulin.
The majority of type 2 produce an excess of insulin already and newly diagnosed aren’t often taking exogenous insulin. These comments are aimed more at type 1 than type 2 and also refer to high glucose simultaneously which they describe as “uncontrolled”

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I appreciate your help

Been in it for 18 months. Hba1c 112 to 36 in 3 months. Feel amazing. I had no weight to lose but manage to roughly maintain my weight. I’d definitely recommend trying it but do read up as much as you can.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating a low carb diet is a powerful tool to control diabetes, restoring normality and well being.