Keto-Question....

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework - hate housework with a passion - and rude people.
I bought some urine test strips, did my first test and don't understand the result!! Can anyone shed any light on what the colours mean please? Mine was at 40 and one of the darker pinks on. the right hand side (sorry to be a twit :shy:)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did they not come with any instructions? I can’t help with urine sticks as I’ve only ever used blood testing for ketones.

Reactions: kitedoc

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
I bought some urine test strips, did my first test and don't understand the result!! Can anyone shed any light on what the colours mean please? Mine was at 40 and one of the darker pinks on. the right hand side (sorry to be a twit :shy:)
From what mine say the darker the purple they are the more presence of ketones there are in your urine.

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
From what mine say the darker the purple they are the more presence of ketones there are in your urine.
I thought that but what I can't find is information on what level is good/bad/dangerous. Any idea on that?

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Did they not come with any instructions? I can’t help with urine sticks as I’ve only ever used blood testing for ketones.
They did but they advised if my readings were above normal (whatever that is) I should go to the doctor. Not very helpful - I though I should be aiming for as high as I can get.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
They did but they advised if my readings were above normal (whatever that is) I should go to the doctor. Not very helpful - I though I should be aiming for as high as I can get.
@Rachox linked a great breakdown for it there and I find that if you have more fat to get rid of it usually reads pretty high anyways and you don't need to worry about high ketones unless your BG is reading high or you're taking any SGLT2 drugs.

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Rachox linked a great breakdown for it there and I find that if you have more fat to get rid of it usually reads pretty high anyways and you don't need to worry about high ketones unless your BG is reading high or you're taking any SGLT2 drugs.
It is a good link and told me what I needed to know. Thank you for your response @Caeseji - bright blessings to you x x x

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a point to be aware of - the urine strips are measuring waste ketones - which show you';re producing them but not necessarily using them. When you start to use them, then the colours on the wee strips should go down to paler levels, and if you're like me, may eventually show as neutral when they're no longer being eliminated but put to good use instead.

You may also see dark shades if you're a bit dehydrated in which case the waste ketones are likely to be fairly concentrated.

And for reassurance, maybe check out the differences between (nutritional) ketosis (nomal/lowish glucose levels, normal /moderate ketone levels, enough insuln) which is quite safe, and diabetic ketoacidosis - aka DKA - (high glucose levels, high ketone levels, severe lack of insulin) which is definitely not! Look at https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-ketones.html for starters...

Robbity

ETA: chart for you - you want to aim for the lower to middle range of the green section:

On-Ketosis-The-Special-Metabolic-State.jpg

Last edited:

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Just a point to be aware of - the urine strips are measuring waste ketones - which show you';re producing them but not necessarily using them. When you start to use them, then the colours on the wee strips should go down to paler levels, and if you're like me, may eventually show as neutral when they're no longer being eliminated but put to good use instead.

You may also see dark shades if you're a bit dehydrated in which case the waste ketones are likely to be fairly concentrated.

And for reassurance, maybe check out the differences between (nutritional) ketosis (nomal/lowish glucose levels, normal /moderate ketone levels, enough insuln) which is quite safe, and diabetic ketoacidosis - aka DKA - (high glucose levels, high ketone levels, severe lack of insulin) which is definitely not! Look at https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-ketones.html for starters...

Robbity

ETA: chart for you - you want to aim for the lower to middle range of the green section:

On-Ketosis-The-Special-Metabolic-State.jpg

What a great post Robbity

LynnieG33

I thought that but what I can't find is information on what level is good/bad/dangerous. Any idea on that?
Hi I have been following keto for beginners page on FB and people post with pictures of the wee sticks to ask advice . The middle two colours are what you going for, the tiles 15 and 40 I tried to put a picture on but it won’t let me . Any darker and you need to be drinking more water any lighter tiles and you need more fats is the advice given . You should join the page and have a look it’s really helpful

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi I have been following keto for beginners page on FB and people post with pictures of the wee sticks to ask advice . The middle two colours are what you going for, the tiles 15 and 40 I tried to put a picture on but it won’t let me . Any darker and you need to be drinking more water any lighter tiles and you need more fats is the advice given . You should join the page and have a look it’s really helpful
Thank you - I've sent my request to join and promise to drink more water!

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good luck with it I have been following it for tips I’m just keeping low carb obviously keeping sugars down too .
Thank you for the heads-up xxx

Reactions: 1spuds