Ketogenic Eating - Sun Exposure

M

Member496333

Hi-de-hi campers! What a fabulous day.

I’m sure that some of you in the ketogenic circle will have seen references to sun exposure. Specifically easy tanning and resistance to burning. I’d never really paid it much attention until this week. I’ve spent only a few hours on the patio in not especially strong sunshine, but have an immediate tan, and people have already mentioned that I look even healthier than usual. Previously I did not tan very well at all, and would just go pink if not careful. Managing sun exposure was important and required sunscreen. Now it seems I only have to step outside and I have a healthy bronze glow in no time at all.

This also got me thinking about health in general. Humans are naturally attracted to healthy humans. No doubt as nature determines we are the most likely to successfully multiply. Perhaps this is why, for the most part, we find an olive bronze tan attractive...because you have to be healthy to get a healthy tan.

So yeah. Rub yourself in grass fed butter and get outside in the garden. iPads optional :cool:

Reactions: Muddikins

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear - I must have been brainwashed... I thought I was going to be reading about the Sun (newpaper)'s exposure on ketogenic diets - not about benefits of lovely sunshine!! o_O:D:oops:

Robbity

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi-de-hi campers! What a fabulous day.

I’m sure that some of you in the ketogenic circle will have seen references to sun exposure. Specifically easy tanning and resistance to burning. I’d never really paid it much attention until this week. I’ve spent only a few hours on the patio in not especially strong sunshine, but have an immediate tan, and people have already mentioned that I look even healthier than usual. Previously I did not tan very well at all, and would just go pink if not careful. Managing sun exposure was important and required sunscreen. Now it seems I only have to step outside and I have a healthy bronze glow in no time at all.

This also got me thinking about health in general. Humans are naturally attracted to healthy humans. No doubt as nature determines we are the most likely to successfully multiply. Perhaps this is why, for the most part, we find an olive bronze tan attractive...because you have to be healthy to get a healthy tan.

So yeah. Rub yourself in grass fed butter and get outside in the garden. iPads optional :cool:
Come on you pale skinned people surely you can't let that go unchallenged or maybe there aren't many of you left due to being so unattractive.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m pale skinned and never try to tan, ‘safely’ or otherwise. I am led to believe that any change in skin colour be it brown or red isn’t safe. Which reminds me, I need to stock up on Factor 50 now the sunny weather has arrived. If you Google it, several articles pop up, this being one of them:
https://www.self.com/story/this-is-what-actually-happens-to-your-body-when-you-get-a-tan
I should have been born in Elizabethan times when pale skin was considered a sign of good health! :joyful:

M

Member496333

I’m pale skinned and never try to tan, ‘safely’ or otherwise. I am led to believe that any change in skin colour be it brown or red isn’t safe. Which reminds me, I need to stock up on Factor 50 now the sunny weather has arrived. If you Google it, several articles pop up, this being one of them:
https://www.self.com/story/this-is-what-actually-happens-to-your-body-when-you-get-a-tan
I should have been born in Elizabethan times when pale skin was considered a sign of good health! :joyful:

That is indeed the orthodox thinking. However, in the ketosphere there is lots of discussion about the effect that the diet has on skin health. Specifically in its ability to tan quickly and effectively in order to avoid damage. I’m now tending to agree with this theory. Obviously I don’t want to look like your handbag but personally I don’t believe that a tan is bad for us. It doesn’t make evolutionary sense. For starters it is how we get the majority of our vitamin D.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One issue with sun cream is that it stops us absorbing the rays to make Vitamin D : (

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
One issue with sun cream is that it stops us absorbing the rays to make Vitamin D : (

Yes, the guidelines are 20 minutes in the sun with no sun cream is good for us from a vitamin D perspective, then slap it on to avoid skin cancer.

Reactions: jpscloud
M

Member496333

And they’re mostly all greasy or sticky to some extent.

To be clear I’m obviously not suggesting anyone should fall asleep naked under the midday sun in Western Australia, but I am beginning to slowly believe that this whole notion that sunshine is bad for us is a load of old cobblers. Humans evolved living and working outside without factor 50 sunscreen...

Also worth remembering that this is in the context of ketogenic eating, so is probably specific to the reduced overall inflammation in the body. Or something :D

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
By all acounts.

Tanning was pretty much made popular by the film stars of the 1950s with the jet set lifestyle?
It probably helped with the lighting techniques regarding the technicolor films too.
Prior to that. Sun kissed skin was considered "working class." :cool:

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh my dog you are right. I sat outside yesterday and went a bit red so came in and now my arms and face are nut brown. I am mostly Northern Irish and we tend to burn rather than tan so I try hard very early every year to try and build up a bit of protection before the sun gets too strong.
Keto just keeps on giving:), like wow. If you told me this six months ago I would have laughed like a drain.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I heard that the vitamin D from supplements is not the same or as good as real sunshine, if you are in a place where you can get enough sunlight. Sunlight is good against depression. Tan-level or skin colour is fashion.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to work in the worlds biggest sandpit where there was a surplus of sunshine. I developed a tan the local people would have been proud of. The novelty wore off though quite quickly.

M

Member496333

Hey I don’t care whether people like it or hate it. All I know is that I was just walking around Sainsbury’s (they had everything I needed) looking like I just got back from a month in the Caribbean, and that’s with just a few hours in mild sunshine that would previously have left me looking more like a strawberry milkshake.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Not surprised. But I go brown thinking about sunshine. If that's the case I will have an epic tan after Spain in a fortnight.

As to all those who are sugesting advice from the medicals. They have most of our ideas down a wack or outright dangerous to our health and their wrong so.. . Who says it isn't the case. I bet Sun derived vit d is better than a bottle too.

I'm up for some sun testing Jim.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey I don’t care whether people like it or hate it. All I know is that I was just walking around Sainsbury’s (they had everything I needed) looking like I just got back from a month in the Caribbean, and that’s with just a few hours in mild sunshine that would previously have left me looking more like a strawberry milkshake.

I'm certainly not knocking the benefits.. :) I prefer to work in the sun than just sit in it, & does help with that sense of wellbeing..

But this thread would be somewhat empty (shadowed even.) without your picture sporting the new sun worshipped you.? :cool:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to turn a glowing lobster pink when exposed to sunlight during my teens and it was so painful that I learned to use the highest factor sunscreen or kept covered up or in the shade - but over the last couple of summers I have been going out with the dancers and did notice that I did not burn despite being outside in the afternoon sun when called on unexpectedly.
Previously I could feel my skin burning after only a few seconds, and I used to get bright red patches on my face - chin, nose cheekbones, which some thought highly comical - not any more.
I do have very pale skin - I will have to see what happens this summer if I cut back the sun avoidance.